“Unorganised staff”

Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Corby, United Kingdom
“Unorganised staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Booked in for a night at the Mercure for my girlfrienda birthday. On arrival at the hotel, 3 members of staff were smoking at the front and we had to wait to be seen at reception. Later in the day we asked what time the resturant would be open and the girl on reception replied with 'I dont know', which I found unbelievable. She did not offer to find out and just said sorry. Even later that day we came in around half 10 and hoped for a drink at the bar, only to find that the bar was closed and no staff were there. After asking at the bar why this was closed the response was 'Coz its New Years Day'. Still found this not a good enough reason why one member off staff could not serve us a drink at only half 10!

It really did seem as though no management were there and all the young staff were in to cover and just really didnt care about helping out guests.

Would not stay there ever again and would avoid recommendation. It is a shame as the hotel is decorated beautifully.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Mads N, General Manager at Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us however I was very disappointed to read about the issues you experienced with the service during your stay. I can assure you that the experience you had on the 1st of January is not a reflection of the levels of service that we provide so please accept my sincere apology.

I can assure you that I have taken your comments very serious and they have been discussed with the entire team as to ensure that no guest will have a similar experience. I would be grateful if you would contact me directly to discuss your experience in more detail, you can reach me on 01908561666 or by E-mail: H8876-GM@accor.com

Mads Nielsen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We have stayed at this hotel in the past when it was other brands; the last time was 10 years ago. So, having read reports of the rebranding as a Mercure hotel we thought it would be a good choice to celebrate the New Year with my sister and her husband.

The decision was 100% correct; what a difference. We had an excellent evening and stay. It was extremely good value for money. The only criticisms are minor, but I will mention those so that the hotel management can consider for improvement.

We travel a lot and stay in upmarket places all over the world. The Mercure Abbey Hill is almost up there with the Sofitel brand.

For those who want to stay close to Central Milton Keynes (and all the shops and leisure facilities) it is conveniently located a short drive away on Monks Way, next to the Abbey Hill golf course. Someone here said that it’s in a residential area – it isn’t unless you drive to the hotel through the Two Mile Ash housing estate!

Check-in was fine; the room had been completely redeveloped and was impressive. Lovely big bed and large walk in shower with a large overhead rose, plenty of hot water and powerful (almost as good as we have at home). Even the bathroom mirror was heated (not seen that feature since I stayed in Tokyo). Electronic safe, iron and ironing board, tea/coffee and water all there. Didn’t use the wi-fi. Nice new towels and amenities. A vast improvement to the rooms – well done.

Niggles on the room were:-

1. Heating and air conditioning controls need some instructions. Very complex with two controls to set temperature etc. room was far too hot and I (and I’m a techie) could not work out how to get the room cooler. Even if I turned the temp down the a/c belted out heat.
2. One glass in room for the water and one glass in the bathroom. Should have two glasses in each place.
3. Could not get the light on the study table to work.
4. A handrail in the shower would improve safety.
5. View out to parking area at rear (towards the golf course) very untidy with building stuff left around.
6. The windows have not been replaced as part of the refurbishment, should have been replaced with sealed double-glazed units.

The refurbishment of the bar lounge and the restaurant is excellent. Personally, don’t like to see a flat-screen up on the wall (lowers the tone), but at least the volume was muted. What do they want Moltens to be a posh bar/restaurant or a “sports bar”? Something to remove, I think.

Service at the bar was overall good. Just a few niggles that could have brought it up to top class:-
1. The bar needs to be manned whenever people are in area and expecting service. Several times the staff disappeared to the stock room etc. One young lady even left the area when it was obvious that I was going to the bar to refresh some glasses.
2. Staff need training in which glasses to use – had to stop one person putting a single measure of whisky in a half pint pot.

The function we attended was first class along with the entertainment. This may well have been influenced by the hotel’s new owner being in attendance and entertaining two large tables! Nice people by the way, spoke to us before the function.

The food was good, although the chowder was very spicy (I think chowder originates from the USA – we have had it from the east coast to the west, and it isn’t spicy) and the Eton Mess wasn’t a mess!

Niggles over the meal were:-
1. Tables were not served as a whole with plates being delivered randomly e.g. a fish dish was delivered then 10 minutes later the beef started to arrive. This was surprising as we had pre-ordered what we wanted from the menu. Serve a complete table at a time!
2. Staff only seemed capable of carrying two plates at a time!

Self service buffet breakfast was very good.

I got the feeling that the new ownership of the hotel is a “work in progress”. Please don’t take the criticisms made here out of proportion; the stay and the function was excellent. There just needs to be a little more attention to detail and the whole experience would have been outstanding.

Still worth a 5 star rating. We are considering whether to return shortly and try the restaurant, having experienced stone grilled cooking in Porto Santo (island off Madeira).

I guess the ultimate question is “would we stay again? To which the answer would be “yes, we would consider it”.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear David,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us over New Years Eve. It was a very special occasion as we also celebrated our first year as a Mercure hotel and a completely refurbished hotel. I was very pleased that you found the refurbishment has been completed to a very high standard and that you appreciated all the smaller extras such as heated mirror and bathroom floor.

Can I say how appreciative I am that you gave us a fair and balanced review as the snags you reported will help us become even better in the future and I am very happy to read that you will be visiting us again in 2014,

Me and my Team wishes you a Happy New Year and all look forward to welcome you and your wife back to the hotel.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

What a great time we had! We've booked here for gala dinner and I can definitely say that was a great choice, we were expecting just a normal disco and a seat down meal however they had other surprises throughout the night and a nice touch was the Jazz band durring dinner. We did not expect a midnight buffet either, which I believe is a nice touch! We will be back here again next year! Well done Mercure!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CCAN2013
Mads N, General Manager at Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of you stay during New Years. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed the Gala Dinner and had a good night sleep in our very comfortable beds.

I am very pleased that you will be returning to visit us in 2014 and me and the entire staff are looking forward to your next visit,

Cambridge, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed at the hotel for a wedding function. Staff were very friendly and trying hard to create a positive experience. The wedding breakfast was served competently and efficiently. The bedroom was fine, but the air con was crude and far too noisy to sleep with it on. The breakfast buffet was extensive and provided plenty of choice. I would stay again if in the MK area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Stephen A
Dear Stephen,

Thank you for your review, I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff members helpful, attentive and friendly. I was especially pleased to read that you enjoyed the Wedding as this is a special day for all of us here at the hotel as well.

I have shared your comments with my team and we are all looking forward to your next vsist,

Bootle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

My wife and have spent Christmas in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire with family. Christmas night was spent at the Mercure Hotel, Abbey Hill. Much to recommend about this hotel, clean, comfortable, good facilities, friendly, helpful staff. We arrived over an hour early for normal check-in but this proved no problem as Reception was happy to let us in as all the rooms were ready anyway. The room was a bit of a trek to though, through a number of fire doors and up a couple of flights of stairs. We were initially given a room with shower only but upon request were changed to one with a bath. This room was spacious and the bed comfortable but very high, plenty of storage space, good TV service and free internet. Internet access proved a little problematic though, to log on required an 8 digit security code, this had to be input after selecting WEP and changing my laptop security settings. This had to be done each time either my wife or I logged on. Certainly not the best access procedure! The bath was another little issue, anti-slip strips on the bath were peeling off and a fixed half length shower screen prevented easy access to the bath/shower controls and plug. These could only be easily accessed either by standing in the bath, or by precariously hanging on the shower screen and reaching around it, really not appropriate or safe for anyone with any sort of movement impairment or disability! Breakfast the next morning was more than adequate with a full range of hot and cold food, a good range of fruit juices and fresh tea or coffee. The location of the hotel leaves something to be desired as it a bit out of the way with nothing at all in the way of entertainment near it, the hotel being set if a residential area. It is only about a 15 minute drive to central Milton Keynes though.
All in all though, my wife and I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: No advice really, only stayed in one room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear David,

Thank you for taking the time to give us you feedback regarding your recent stay with us, I was very pleased to read that you had a enjoyable stay.

I have shared you comments with my team and we are looking into the minor issues you reported as well to make your next stay even better.

Me and my team are looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel,

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

We recently stayed at the Abbey Hill Hotel with family for a family event in the area. We chose the hotel due to its location but also the reputation of mercure hotels. Oh how wrong we were. On checking in it was all very pleasant, welcoming receptionist and straightforward. On arrival in our executive room it was pleasant with a view over the golf course and very nice bathroom with underfloor heating. The room was cold and the air conditioning unit was noisy. We eventually worked out how to change the temperature. So far not too bad. But then it all started to go badly wrong. We went to the restaurant to meet the rest of our family and have a relaxing evening and nice meal. On arrival we were told that the bar and restaurant area were closed for a private function but they had set up a makeshift restaurant down the corridor. When we found the room it was basically a conference room which had had dining tables set up in it and a small "bar" area. This area was not relaxing and the chairs in the "bar" area were formal dining chairs. Not relaxing. We ordered drinks which they had to go and get from "the pop up bar" they took around 15 minutes to arrive. It was not a pleasant atmosphere in the room. When we ordered our food the volcanic rock machine was broken therefore it was just a grilled steak, but we still had to pay the £6 supplement. The food was extremely overpriced for what we received. The service was the worst I have ever experienced, and I travel a lot with work. The staff I am sure had been drafted in, they couldn't answer any questions about the food or wine on the menu, and just kept saying we're not normally in this area. When my husbands steak arrived his sauce did not. We asked for it and we're told it was on its way. After numerous times of asking, it eventually arrived just as he was finishing his steak! The drinks were served in half pint tumblers which you would find in a school canteen. The jug of water arrived into the room but never made it to the table, we had to collect from the side table ourselves. Whenever drinks were ordered the staff had to be reminded two or three times. The whole service was appalling. We felt the staff were trying their best but that the hotel had put them in an impossible situation. When the bill arrived we complained about all of the above, at which point the waitress told us it was out of her control. We asked to speak to a more senior person, he apparently couldn't come as he was busy. He was seen in the corridor outside the room discussing our complaint with the waitress. He did not have the decency to come and speak to us. Eventually after a lot of backwards and forwards they offered a bottle of wine as an apology! Seriously it was 11.30pm and we did not want another drink and goodness knows when it would arrive! On checking out the following morning we were not asked how our stay had been. We did inform the receptionist and she apologised. We asked to speak to the manager, who surprisingly was not available, but she ensured he would contact me on the monday when he was back at work. One week and two days later I am still awaiting his call!! All in all this could have been a nice stay but the hotel felt fit to encourage Christmas parties and bring in the pounds rather than looking after their hotel residents who had paid, not a cheap price, to stay at this hotel. If you like good service and to be treated well, avoid this hotel like the plague.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sharon D
Mads N, General Manager at Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to discuss your recent stay with me over the phone. I was only sad that this was not brought to my attention sooner so I could personally have dealt with it during your stay.

As we discussed during our conversation we were experiencing a very busy night due to the festive season with Christmas Parties taking place in the hotel and we had made arrangements for our restaurant to be moved to our Crown Hill Suite to give our guests a more private area of the hotel to enjoy their food and drinks. I would like to thank you for your feedback as this will help us improve our service and better accommodate all our guests needs during these exceptionally busy times in the hotel.

I was very happy that after our conversation you are willing to reconsider using our hotel again in the future and I can assure you that me and my entire team are all looking forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill,

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you and your family a Happy New Year,