“Worth every penny!”

Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Milton Keynes
“Worth every penny!”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My husband & I stayed for one night in a superior room, & loved every single minute of our stay! The super king bed was incredible & gigantic - & we were happy that we could make more use of it with the late check out time of 12pm.

We were overjoyed to find that we had a jacuzzi bath, & even better was that the bathroom floor was heated! I've also never seen so many complementary toiletries! We loved that the room even had a sofa & included a fridge - but we wondered why there was a nespresso machine, yet no capsules were included? The only other criticism is that my bedside lamp didn't work - which wasn't a huge problem, but being a luxury hotel, I was surprised it hadn't been checked! I guess that my other suggestion would be that instead of so many toiletries, perhaps a small complementary box of chocolates would be an extra special treat, & something to enjoy in the jacuzzi bath?

The food was amazing, & I loved the novelty of having my dinner cooked on a boiling hot volcanic rock - it really was worth every penny! The staff were very friendly, & extremely helpful. The only thing that I thought was strange is that most of the other tables around us had jugs of water & ice. I asked for some tap water to go with dinner & a half filled pint glass with no ice, was given to me. I guess it just surprised me being such a luxury hotel, I at least expected some ice - although only a minor point & not a problem!

The breakfast buffet had everything that you could ever want on offer, including vegetarian sausages which I was so happy about! An amazing choice of fruit, croissants & jam on offer, as well as cereals & a full English. You can even order some extra special breakfast treats from the kitchen!

The only downside that I could find about the hotel, is that there was no lift! My health problems mean that I struggle to walk upstairs. This was sorted straight away, however, & the receptionist moved us to a downstairs room - & we were extremely happy to find that we had been moved to a room with a golf course view!

We were so sad that we couldn't stay longer, & really didn't want to leave! Hopefully we can stay again soon. This hotel may be more pricey than some, but I would stay that it is worth every penny, & it's definitely worth paying extra for the superior room & the amazing food! The best hotel that I've ever stayed at in the UK!

• Stayed April 2014
Mads N, Director of Sales at Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so very much for your review.

I must agree with you about the beds, we pride that we do have the most comfortable beds in Milton Keynes.

I am so sorry that you didn't get your pods for your coffee machine, I will bring this up with the housekeeping team.

I am so glad you enjoyed our "hot rock" it is a relatively new concept to the hotel and guests are truly loving it.

I am truly sorry that you were allocated a room on the second floor, however the next time you book then please let us know you would like a room on the ground floor and we shall accommodate. I am glad you made our reception team aware and they managed to move you to a room on the ground floor.

It is always a pleasure to read such a great review and I will share with the team at the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Many thanks

Mads Nielsen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Thank You to All the staff of the hotel especially Alice / Mayai / Tracey.
Great good at Moltens restaurant and the rooms were very clean & tidy & spacious.
really enjoy our stay and change our Golf tee times when running late due to traffic

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you so very much for such a lovely review, it is always great to read such comments.

Our reception team were hand picked because of their amazing customer service and friendliness.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your dining experience in our Moltens restaurant.

I truly look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again the next time you are in the Milton Keynes area.

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

As I travel with business, sometimes it is pot luck as to the hotels that I get allocated but I can say that this was a pleasant surprise! Have had a few stays here and I have now advised my company that I would like this as my preferred hotel (I was lucky enough to have a "privilage" room for one stay which even has a fridge and nice big bed and a sofa!)

Good beds - not too low - nice and firm (although a plethora of extra cushions on the bed - feel guilty stacking them on the floor) - excellent TV - lovely bathrooms - quiet air con - under floor heating in the bathrooms - room keys that do not get accidentally wiped by your mobile phone - decent lighting - room safe - everything that you need for a comfortable stay.

The restaurant is lovely - the new "Molten" experience is well worth a try and the food is relatively reasonably priced for a hotel - however I do find the bar on the expensive side.

The staff are fantastic, will always do their best to help you out and resolve anything that may happen.

Did have a few niggles on a couple of nights with a couple of things, but after speaking to the staff they were quickly resolved.

So - to summarise - a really nice hotel, different to the MK norm - let the stays here continue!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to put such a fantastic review on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for all the comments regarding our bedrooms. We have done an incredible amount of research and the higher the bed a better nights sleep one gets. The guest comfort and enjoyment is paramount.

The Moltens restaurant is a wonderful concept and yes you are right it is very reasonably priced for the standard of food and the service you receive.

Thank you once again.

switzerland
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We have been to a few hotels in MK and the surroundings, but this beats them all.
Set in the quiet area of Two Mile Ash overlooking the golf course, we enjoyed a short family break in this hotel. The city centre is a stone throw away, reachable by bus, cab or a 5 minute drive! The lovely market towns of Stony Stratford and Buckingham are also very close by.
No problems for parking at all times. Friendly staff and always more than willing to help. Adequate breakfast with the only setback being it is only available up till 0930 hrs during the week, but the staff and chef more than willing to have fresh food for last minute guests :-). Do not miss the chef's home made chocolate croissants, seriously amongst the best ever tasted.
The rooms are spacious and you cannot hear a sound which gives you a really good sleep.
Bathrooms clean and all amenities available.
We travel alot and can honestly that this was one of our best stays and will not only be certain to return, but will recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Milton Keynes.

Room Tip: Do not miss the MK centre for shopping and both Stony Stratford and Buckingham if you have times. As...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank gruyeresuisse
Mads N, Director of Sales at Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review.

It is great to get free parking directly outside the hotel especially in Milton Keynes.

Regarding the breakfast finishing at 09.30 in the week, this is the case but if you stay with us again Chef will be able to make you a bacon sandwich on request as we are very flexible.

Again, thank you for your lovely review and hope to see you again soon at the Mercure Hotel, Milton Keynes, Abbey Hill.

General Manger
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This is our second visit, again we cooked our meat on a Volcanic Rock.

We found the whole experience lovely and relaxing. Soft live music with nice friendly staff. The food was of a high quality. Lovely spacious surroundings with outside area, nice clean toilets.

Not ideal for all children..

Will be going again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Mads N, General Manager at Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of our restaurant and you 5 star rating. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed the Hot Rock experience and found the quality of your food to be excellent, we have just launched our Sunday Lunch which will be available every Sunday with live entertainment at Moltens Restaurant.

I have shared your comments with he restaurant staff and our chef brigade and we are all looking forward to welcome you and your family back again,

Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Good room's and bed's very comfortable . Bar is small and not friendly but check in staff very efficient and effective and helpful. Hotel is quite at night no rowdy parties of people passing by outside or inside.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Guy D
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that you did enjoy your stay with us and found our bedrooms to meet your expectations, I must agree with you that our beds are very comfortable and we do pride ourselves of having the best beds in Milton Keynes.

I was happy to read that you found the staff members efficient and I have shared your comments with our team.

We are all looking forward to your next visit,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed in a junior suite a bit pricy as we booked late but close proximity to MK and situation on golf course,which our room overlooked, was very pleasant. Now for the good points - room was a good size, bed comfortable, nicely fitted bathroom with a jet massage bath, free wifi, tea and coffee making and reception staff were excellent. For the not so good you had to pay extra for a dressing gown, slippers and to use the nespresso machine in the room, the spoon on the tray was unwashed, the room was long and thin and rather dark because the window was small, the seal round the double glazing was broken so condensation ran down between the panes and there was a lot of mould round the window frames. But generally not a bad stay

Room Tip: Book early don't pay extra for suite
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us, I was disappointed to read that you stay did not meet your expectations please accept my sincere apology for the issues you faced, I have shared your comments with my team and we have rectified the issues.

I was however pleased to read that you did find the rooms spacious, enjoyed the Jacuzzi bath and received excellent service from our team.

I do hope that you will give us another chance and visit us again on your next visit to Milton Keynes,