“Above average and well worth revisiting.”

Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill
Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Folkestone, Kent
“Above average and well worth revisiting.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We have stayed at the hotel a couple of times before and had some issues which were satisfactorily resolved at the time. The hotel is situated on the outskirts of Milton Keynes, so is away from the bustle of traffic, but close to the A5 with easy access to the north.

On this occasion we decided to upgrade to a Superior Room overlooking the Golf Course. It was the right decision. The rooms are quieter than those at the front overlooking the car park. The rooms are modern, clean and comfortable.

There is a warm welcome awaiting you as all the staff are friendly, helpful and professional.

The food in the restaurant was very good. There is a small menu, but with something for all tastes. The food was well presented and very tasty. It was very busy but the staff were attentive and apologised for the slight delays. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and look forward to visiting again before the year is out.

Room Tip: Facing the Golf Course are quieter and have a better view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Mads N, General Manager at Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and for giving us a 5 star rating. It was truly a pleasure to read about your experience and we are all looking forward to welcome you back soon,

Mads Nielsen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Never having stayed at a Mercure, and having heard varying reports of them, I confess to being pleasantly surprised overall.
This is a modern hotel but it lacks a couple of basic features one would expect: even the lower floor rooms are up a short flight of stairs and access for anyone unable to climb stairs was by means of a "Stannah" type stair lift - not very convenient or easy for one of our party. There is no lift to the first floor rooms, meaning luggage has to be hauled up the stairs. I suspect that the restaurant and bar, which are down another flight of stairs from reception would be off limits to anyone unable to climb stairs -0 but there may have been some sort of access through the patio area.
The room was clean and comfortable, but about fifteen minutes after we arrived our fire alarm sounded for a few seconds. I contacted reception and was curtly told that they knew and someone was on the way up. A few seconds later two burly "security" types arrived obviously expecting to find us smoking or using the shower without closing the bathroom door ... neither of which was the case. No explanation and fortunately the alarm did not give a repeat performance.
Actually, closing the bathroom door was impossible - it wouldn't close - and speaking of smoking .... our room was at the back of the hotel and overlook "smoker's corner", a shelter with a couple of stools and ash trays. This meant it was quite noisy until the small hours of the morning as late party goers carried on their revels as they enjoyed their cigarettes.
The bathroom was compact but more than adequate; it was clean and modern, and apart from the non closing door everything worked exactly as it should, including the overheard "rainfall" shower.
The bed was comfortable enough and was obviously smaller than that which had been in place when the room was designed - the reading lamp was a good twelve inches away form the edge of the bed - so there has presumably been a fairly recent refurbishment.
We didn't eat in the hotel as we were attending a family function at the nearby golf course.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking "smoker's corner"
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Mads N, General Manager at Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for review, I was however disappointed to read that you did experience a few issues while staying with us, please accept my sincere apology. The hotel is built on split levels so stairs are necessary to access our bedrooms, restaurant and lounge area, however we do have both electric ramps and chair lifts installed and also we can supply portable ramps which our team is always happy to assist any guest with also we do offer luggage assistance to all guests checking in. From reading your review it seems that this was not made clear to you upon checking into the hotel, please accept my apology for this and my assurances that this is being looked into.

I was sad to read that you were disturbed by the fire alarm we do not usually have issues with the alarm and we do need to investigate all activity for the safety of our guests.

I was happy to read that you did enjoy your room and had a good night sleep. I do hope that you will visit us again on your next visit to Milton Keynes,

England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Going by other reviews I think we were lucky to have such a good experience - but we thought this hotel was great. We had a superior golf course view room and it was very nice indeed. Well furnished, very clean and comfortable. The only slight problem we had was that wifi was slow in the room - it improved the closer you got to reception where it was very fast. It does sound as though some rooms are great and others not so good but ours was excellent. Staff were very friendly and professional.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travellingscoobies
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and your 5 star recommendation. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your superior bedroom and slept comfortably in our beds as we do pride ourselves by having the best beds in Milton Keynes. I especially took note of your praises for our team and I was very happy that you felt well looked after.

My team and I all look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill in the near future,

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Firstly - staff are very welcoming and polite! Top marks for staff! Called down to reception to get an iron - got iron within 5 minutes. Iron didnt work. Called down again - brought up another iron within a few mins. Room clean and bed is comfy. Free wifi was good! However the shower was pants. No power to it at all and in the morning it was only luke warm - if the shower was better id of given it 4 stars.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Darryl B
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review of your stay. I was disappointed to read that you had issues with your shower as we have both power showers and rainfall showers in all rooms, I would be very pleased if you could contact me on H8876-GM@accor.com so I can investigate this matter further.

I was pleased to read that you felt well looked after by our team but surprised that you had to call down for an iron as this comes as standard in all our rooms and should be located in the guest wardrobe again I would be grateful to discuss this issue with you in more detail.

I do hope that you will consider us again in future when visiting Milton Keynes,

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed here a few times on business. Perfectly good hotel. Rooms I have stayed in appeared to have been renovated recently. Price varies a bit depending on when you book it, which is a bit annoying. If you book in advance rates are good, leave it late it sometimes seems a bit expensive. Comfy rooms, good sleep quality. Breakfast - good/normal for a hotel of this type. Will stay again when I need to

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of your stay with us. I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and will be returning to visit us again soon. It is true that we do change the rates according to demand in the market and generally if you book in advance the rates will be lower, however if you are in Milton Keynes regularly on business it might be an advantage to setup a business rate with us, please contact us on 01908561666 and I would be more than happy to help you.

We all look forward to welcome you back soon,

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

The staff are really friendly and helpful but sadly the rooms are poorly lacking! I paid extra to go for superior thinking I would get abit more for my money but this was not the case, I would hate to see how small and poor the smaller room is. The room was dusty and where it was situtated meant everyone who walked past would have a good look in the room with kids running around looking in all the windows which got tiresome. The room was very noisy with banging from both next door and upstairs which meant we kept getting disturbed.
I suppose it is not back for £45 but I had higher expectations.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I was very disappointed to read about your experience and must apologise for the noise and dust issues you experienced during your stay. We are in the process of refurbishing our Beauty Clinic to give our guests an additional service unfortunately there were a few noise related issues during the refurbishment please accept my sincere apology for this.

I was pleased to read that you were pleased with the level of service you received from our staff and that you felt well looked after. Our room sizes are some of the best in Milton Keynes all of them fully refurbished to a 4 star standard all our bedrooms have air conditioning, heated bathroom floors and mirrors plus all the amenities that one would expect to find in a 4 star hotel such as hairdryers, irons and 24 hour room service.

We do hope that you will give us another chance and visit us again in the near future,

Torquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a two night stay at the mercure Milton Keynes.It was for a friend's wedding on the Friday. The reception area was very welcoming and so was Tracey on duty at the desk. Book in was efficient and we were soon in the very pleasant room. Very clean and nicely decorated.Super shower room.For once the television had all the freeview channels,so many don't!! We soon went to the bar and the excellent terrace area,comfortable furniture aplenty.Overnight the air con was not too efficient but was very quickly put right after a word with the ever pleasant Tracey.The wedding went very well,not a hitch.I thought the wedding breakfast room was beautifully decorated and the tables were gorgeous.The meal was restaurant quality by my standards.All the staff were efficient and pleasant.Breakfast both mornings was all anyone could want and they would do extra dishes if asked.I would also like to mention Dace a young lady who worked incredibly hard and for long hours and with a smile.I would be very happy to return and to reccomend.We stayed in room 101.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hilary C
Mads N, General Manager at Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent visit and for your 5 star recommendation. I was very pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and you felt well looked after by our dedicated hotel team. We always strive to make a wedding day special and I was happy to read that you had an enjoyable time, the weather was beautiful on the day so my team and I were especially happy to see that the entire wedding party were able to use our terrace which made the day even more special for all attending.

Again thank you for your review and we all look forward to welcome you back to Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill,