“Great nights stay”

Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Milton Keynes
London, United Kingdom
“Great nights stay”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Had a great nights stay, great positioning for the MK Bowl for a gig we were attending. Nice big room, very clean, friendly staff etc... Only gripe i have is that we arrived at 3:30pm to be told that we couldnt check in and had a 30-45min wait until our rooms were ready even though check in was from 2pm That aside, great stay and would stay again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Anglesey
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed at doubletree MK recently! Found the hotel & room clean to be fair. Hotel is In a great location. And the view from the restaurant over the pitch is impressive.
We decided after much deliberation to eat at the hotel restaurant on our first night (Friday). What a massive disappointment that was! The service was terrible, unprofessional young inexperienced staff who where more interested in setting up the breakfast tables than giving you a dining experience!.. They had little or no knowledge of the dishes on the menu, and when I asked a question on one dish the answer from the waiter was "I don't know" The noise of them clearing & setting up the breakfast tables was unacceptable! The staff were not attentive in any way. They offered bread, but no water, the bottle of wine was plonked in the middle of the table with no ice bucket, offer to taste or pour!! The last straw for me was a waitress skipping through the restaurant with 5 breakfast cups on each finger of her hands, who turned to my partner and I and said " I'm just trying to make it fun"!!.. That's all well and good my love but when your bill is over £100 for two, I'd prefer you take your fun elsewhere!!! I feel sorry for the obviously talented chef because the food was lovely to fair!! But if he's wondering why covers are down I suggest he looks front of house from time to time! I was so disappointed I can't tell you!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank JWH-77
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I simply love the Double Tree hotels! I've been to a couple of these for business reasons and I have always felt welcomed there, the rooms are super spacious, and the staff is always really helpful. And the idea of being greeted by a warm cookie when you check in is just great! 10/10!! :-)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Waterlooville, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Clean and fresh, kind and helpful staff. A little out the way of the M/K itself. However as such it was also quite. Room was clean and fresh, however wasn't special as some.. all in all a good hotel for a nights stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

HotelMiltonKeynes, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Craig B,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Milton Keynes. You may be interested to know that soon there will be additional leisure facilities available to hotel residents with the opening of an IMAX 11 screen cinema and several restaurants.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review we appreciate it.

Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

It bills itself as the Double Tree by Hilton, the Hilton bit implies a level of quality and service and I guess that’s why they do it and it’s misleading.
An integral part of the MK Dons soccer stadium with rooms that look out over the pitch I knew it was a soccer oriented place but assumed, wrong;y, that out of season at least the Hilton bit would count for something.
The reception area is bleak, only 2 seats in the whole place it is like a statin concourse. They interrupt the booking-in process to get and give you, with a flourish, your complimentary hot chocolate cookie in its own paper bag. Not a likely indicator of a serious hotel and so it proved.
I had booked a disabled room for my 93 year old companion. The room turned out to be 70 metres (I paced it out) from the lift. When I raised this with the reception staff they were not very interested. Polite, but made no attempt to address the issue of how my companion would reach their room. The receptionist’s routine response to my complaints was ‘I’ll pass that on’. Not a lot of help even in the unlikely event it were true.
The place is large and soulless. Long corridors, poor internal signage. It seems to specialise in providing overnight accommodation for people, mainly men, mainly tattooed and football shirted on work related courses nearly. A VW logo figured on a lot of clothing. Predictably the bar was set up for that demographic. Four huge TV screens all showing the football with the commentary turned up loud. No proper beer only Eurofizz. Noise levels uncomfortably high. I was dreading the restaurant but in fact it was surprisingly pleasant. A few interesting items on the menu, I had homemade scotch egg with soldiers, I am sure it is a recipe I saw recently on The Great British Menu. They got it right. It was excellent. My companion’s mushrooms in cheesy sauce was less adventurous, but a perfectly sound dish. For main course we chose the ‘surf and turf’ which was slices or pork and beef and seafood brought to your table with a ‘hot volcanic rock’ on which to cook it yourself. Innovative and an engaging idea, that’s why we picked it. Trouble is the rock didn’t work . On our first try they quickly took the rock away, saying someone had turned the oven down to 150 degrees from the 350 it should have been at. Second time round it was better but just didn’t hold enough heat to cook more than a couple of bits to even my rare taste. Pity. Nice idea but needs a bit more development. But the staff were excellent, kept coming back to see if all was well, removed the first rock without prompting and when they asked how we were doing with the second one and we told them they volunteered that we would not be charged. And we weren’t. Restaurant staff very helpful and friendly, tried to deal with the issue not merely ‘pass it on’. Full marks for trying, keep at it, don’t be tempted to slip back to the easy, boring basics.
Breakfast what one might expect given the hotels obvious target audience, indeed the hot buffet possibly a little more limited than normal. OK, plenty of it.
At £150 per person per night B&B it’s overpriced for what it is. It was clear that most quests, unlike us, were not paying with their own money.
Unless you want to watch the football in season, or are learning how to service your VW, stay away.

Room Tip: You have to be fit to reach a disabled room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Stephen T,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Milton Keynes and for taking the time to write this review we appreciate it.

I'm sorry to read that there were parts of your stay that you were unhappy with. Our accessible rooms have purposefully been placed away from lifts and nearer to evacuation points so that in the unlikely event of an emergency they can be best assisted.

The world cup brings with it many issues....to show or not to show. We took the decision to show England games in Red Dot Bar on the ground floor and other countries games in pitchside bar, I am sorry that you felt the volume was to too loud, that must have been very annoying. We have a new bar opening soon that will be 100% football free, should you choose to stay with us again.

Thank you for your kind comments about our restaurant team.

If you would like to call me to discuss any of the above please do so on 01908 364184

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Well we felt like we were in the way..... the Hotel felt like it was empty but we were put in a lovely room but sadly next to the noisiest family in the history of the world! Breakfast was not the usual buffet we ordered what we wanted... the staff spent all their time moving tables and chairs getting ready for the match which I thought was rude... there was only a hand full of people of people eating could they not wait till we had gone.. I love this Hotel and we will always go but this was a very disappointing visit....

Room Tip: Make sure get a pitch side view.... the car park just aint pretty!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear myhappyplace85,

Thank you for staying with us. I'm disappointed to read that breakfast wasn't the relaxing start to the day it should have been, how annoying, I will have a chat with the team.

Thank you for your continued loyalty we appreciate it.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Wanted to stay somewhere which was close to various places but did not want to stay in the centre of Milton Keynes. This is an absolutely great location with an Asda next door and a few clothes shops near by to have a little browse around is great. Very clean room and staff were very helpful. :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear NathAndDan2014,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Milton Keynes and for taking the time to write this review, we appreciate it.