“A Poor Lunchtime Meal”

The Crown
Ranked #111 of 556 Restaurants in Milton Keynes
Price range: US$8 - US$27
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Under new management in 2016! The origins of The Crown of Stony Stratford can be traced back to 1664 in the midst of a very vibrant coaching trade in the town. There were at its height in the early 1800's no less than around 50 inns and coach houses in Stony Stratford with 50 coaches passing through the town on a daily basis. Just over 350 years later from when The Crown was originally built in the market square, the building has undergone a sympathetic renovation to the original of the coach house with a modern flair. Although there are no horses to tether, there is extensive parking at the front of the building. The management of the Crown would like extend a warm welcome to all the people of Stony Stratford who have wished us well with this venture. On a personal note, the Executive Chef and Director of this venture, Kabelo promises a culinary experience which would be second to none and his team will ensure a very personal service on your visit. Our week starts on a Tuesday through to Sunday offering a selected range of an ever changing seasonal menu. Most of our ingredients will be sourced locally as we are committed to cutting down on carbon food miles. There will be a few surprises in store to reflect the Executive Chef's vast repertoire of delectable delights. A warm welcome awaits you all at the Crown in Stony Stratford
Reviewed 7 May 2012

What a lovely pub for a DRINK but definately not for a meal. We ordered on a quiet Wedneday lunchtime in early May 2012 two grilled chicken salads with a balsamic glaze dressing and after a lengthy wait the worst salad I have ever had arrived. The six very thin strips of overcooked chicken were awful and the green leaf salad was limp & drenched in balsamic vinegar all for the pricely sum of £5.65 .We felt ripped off and I complained but was met with " I will tell the chef " ha your having a laugh if a chef conjured up that poor quality excuse for a salad.
On the plus side the pub was warm with a good atmosphere but they must do better to ever get me back again.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Following my visit to the Crown in February and subsequent Tripadvisor review. I was contacted by the new management at the Crown and encouraged to give it another try in April when their new menu was launched, to which I agreed.

We had a look at the menu's online first which didn't look that great if I am honest, but as we had promised to return and we only live around the corner, we decided to walk over and check out the menu's on the board before deciding whether to eat there or not.

The menu's outside the pub bare no resemblance to the online menu's that we had reviewed earlier in the day. Clearly the website needs updating! The menu's outside the pub looked to offer good old favourites like steak and kidney pie and belly pork etc. etc. and was nicely laid.

We were offered that lunch time menu which was somewhat more abridged than the dinner selection, mainly consisting of burgers, scampi or an all day breakfast, which if I am honest, didn't fill me with anticipation or excitement. However, in a bid to support our local public house, I ordered the Crown Burger with bacon and cheese and my other half ordered the Cajun Chicken Burger.

Credit where credit is due, both were lovely. Mine was hot, flavoursome and juicy with fab homemade red onion coleslaw as an accompaniment. My husband's chicken burger was moist and succulent with just the right amount of spice! The chips appeared home-cut and were cooked to perfection.

My only niggle, if I had one, was the slight delay in service. Yes, it was a weekend lunch-time but the pub certainly wasn't packed to the rafters.

As the food was so much improved this time round, we were tempted by a pudding but when offered the option of seeing the pudding menu, our server took so long to bring it, we decided to cut our losses and end the meal there.

Some good initial improvements. I personally would like to see more in the way of grazing boards on a weekend lunch time now the warm weather is nearly here - something a bit mediterranean inspired perhaps? The service could also do with a few adjustments... but more importantly it has inspired me to go back for another visit in the next few weeks to try the evening meal selection on offer.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

I am glad i did not read a number of the other reviews as i would probably not have tried the place - which would have been a mistake. The food was good and incredibly well priced. The steak was perfectly cooked and tasted brilliant, the other dishes ordered by my family were off an equally high standard and enjoyed.

We have been back since and the food was of a similarly high quality. The staff have been polite and helpful each time and i know we shall be visiting again. One point is the website is not great.

1  Thank Rupert C
Reviewed 14 March 2012

The food here is tat, I will not visit again & would not recommend it at all. They also charged me extra for gravy to go with the pie I had ordered and when it arrived it was a very small jug of bisto!

1  Thank MissMollyPippin
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Great venue, unfortunately a recent change in management has resulted in a compromise to the quality of the food served. A real same as its our local and we would love to eat there more... The Crown charges gastro pub prices for poor quality food... Please take a leaf out of the books of the Blakc Horse, Newport Pagnell and The Beam, Shenley. When you do, we will return.

2  Thank Button99