“Very tired hotel rooms - big problems” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Milton Keynes

Hilton Milton Keynes
Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Very tired hotel rooms - big problems”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

I visited the Hilton on business. First impressions were good, the girl at reception was very friendly and helpful.

The room layout was terrible. The desk chair stuck out and wouldn't push under the desk so you had to turn and slide or climb over the bed to get to the other side of the room (see photo)!! The bathroom was clean but very tired. There was an old bathtub and shower (see photos), not really what I expected from the Hilton. The sink tap was broken (see photo) and the mixer taps on the bath were so tight I really struggled to turn them off.

The bedroom was very dark, with no main lights just desklaps. It was advertised on hotels.com that the room had free wi-fi (which is why I booked the hotel in the first place). The hotel wasn't cheap (I paid £86/night to stay here). After I spent 15 minutes trying to connect to wi-fi, I phoned down to reception and they said that there wasn't free wi-fi in the bedrooms and that I must pay £14.99/24 hrs. An extra £30 ontop of an already overly priced room was ridiculous.

One positive was the breakfast selection. There was a good choice of both cooked and continental breakfast. I got down for about 730am, it was nice and quiet and the staff were great. The location of the hotel was good, it's right next to the Open University and 15 minutes drive into central MK.

On the whole the hotel itself was a big disappointment. It needs a lot of money spent on it. I still can't believe that this hotel charges so much yet doesn't give it's customers free wi-fi. The staff were very helpful though. Although I didn't get told that there was a spa or gym facilities for guests to use.

Room Tip: If you have problems with mobility I would ask for a room that doesn't have the issues I had wit...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Polish first
LONDON, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at Hilton Milton Keynes and will recommend to anyone staying in the Milton Keynes area for business purpose. The Staff are very welcoming and prompt in attending to your request with an on-site gym which always helps for working out.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear RonaldB
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was delighted that you found our staff welcoming and enjoyed the gym facilities.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

Overpowering air freshener smell in reception put me on edge on arrival. Receptionist carrying on another conversation with a colleague while booking me in.

My king room was 2 single beds put together. That's not a king folks.

Room layout awful making me think perhaps it was actually a single. Chair at the desk means you can't walk to the window without contorting yourself to get past the chair. Room very dark with only a single bedside lamp, a floor lamp and a desk light. See what I mean about it being a single room?

Bathroom very old. Dripping taps and shower and a mildew smell.

Restaurant only did buffet for dinner while you could order a la carte in the bar and room service. This makes no sense. Restaurant staff surly at breakfast. I could go on.

I reckon Hilton have spent hundreds of millions on growing their other brands over the last few years but are left with the major problem of what to do with the original Hiltons. While they ponder these poor buildings are massively overpriced while disappointing the new breed of guests who've had a great time at other Hilton brands. I spend about 70 nights a year in Hilton brand hotels and this is one of the worst so far.

3 out if 5 because most of the issues are outside the control of the staff on the day but are the fault of Hilton and its management. If this is read by Hilton please don't tell me you've passed comments on. Actually change the way things are done.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Shirtbuttons
Dear Shirtbuttons
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, following your recent stay at the hotel. However, I was most concerned to hear that you experienced some shortcomings, in particular I have read your comments about your dinner experience and I have spent considerable time with my Food and Beverage Manager, with regard to the miscommunication of availability of menu. I have since carried out corrective action with the team, in order that the disappointment you suffered does not recur for future stays.
Furthermore you may be interested to know that we are undergoing some refurbishment in the near future and this includes tap replacements.

Once again thanks for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

You may have seen my glowing report on the Hilton Leicester where we stayed and held a conference the day before we moved on to Milton Keynes. Well what to say??? I met my colleague for breakfast and as great as the Leicester Hilton was the MK version was not great at all. Poor selection of fruit, reconstituted scrambled egg - yuk, yuk, yuk.

We'd done a recce of this venue just to make sure the space worked - note to self next time - when using one big suite make sure that the lighting and AC are on different circuits! We had to dim the lights for our presentations which meant the exhibitors in the room next door were left almost in the dark. No buzzer in this place so my colleague kept disappearing into the kitchen whenever she needed help - hotels do not like you going into that side of their business at all - that's why we do it - staff appear miraculously!! Ops Team were OK but it seemed to rely on just one guy who raced around all day. We had various issues, running out of milk at coffee break, not enough cups, not enough chairs in the meeting room - we asked for 65 and got 50 so delegates looked like they were sitting on each other's laps. We had to have more chairs shipped in during coffee break.

Costa is on the premises but my goodness what a price for a cup of coffee!!!!

Executive Chair again asked to see the Manager but got the Head of Ops and complained to him about our fairly shoddy service.

To put the lid on it completely my colleague received a phone call the next day - initially she thought it was to ask how our conference had gone - not a bit of it - they wanted more money!!!

Nope - I knew there was a reason we had taken Hilton off our list and now it all comes flooding back - Hilton Leicester excluded from this ....

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Dear Siobhan W

Thank you for taking the time to give your comments on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at the hotel. I am pleased that you found our Operation Team helpful, however I was concerned to hear about the shortcomings you experienced during your event. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you suffered and I will ensure manning levels are monitored more carefully for future events, in order that the unfortunate experience you encountered does not recur.

Once again thank you for your comments, as it is only by receiving such feedback that we can improve on our service and standards.

Kind regards

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

If you like a good nights' sleep then make sure that you take your own pillow. Otherwise the hotel is clean, the staff are friendly, and there is a great breakfast. Fitness room, spa and pool facilities a nice bonus, plus lovely bathroom products. Internet is not free however.....

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear TripAdvisor Member

I was delighted to hear that you had a good stay with us and enjoyed your experience. I will look into the feedback you gave with regard to the comfort of the pillows and consider the options available, when our linen replacement is due.

I do hope that we see you again at some time in the future.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

We arrived a day late, the hotel was extremely busy. However we were made extremely welcome by the young lady on reception who made us feel like we were the only people there. She was very professional and we found that as we stay there often we are remembered by some staff who always enquire how we are doing and welcome us back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear tjstimbo

It was our pleasure to welcome you to the Hilton Milton Keynes and I was delighted that you found are staff and amenities pleasant.

I will certainly pass on your kind comments to the team, and I am sure they will join me in welcoming you back when you are next in the area.

Essex, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

The staff where friendly enough however the shower would not switch off so I had to have it running all night & yes, I tried to report it, twice. The room was badly lit, the bedside lamps had x2 bulbs out. I had one "large" towel, even though I was in a double room & to top it all off I was ill after breakfast. As I said, I am a seasoned Hilton guest: The bacon tasted off & rubbery, the eggs where awful & cold and the hot chocolate was disgusting. I felt ok at first then an hour or so later felt sick. I spent the rest of the day throwing up. I hadn't eating anything the night before so can only put it down to the breakfast. As I was leaving the hotel I did say to the receptionist I could not switch the shower off all night and a maintenance guy behind the reception desk "resting" on it said "which room!?" in a put out tone. I love Hilton Hotels & I know this is not normal for them so I cant help but feel a wave of disappointment. I have contacted HQ & the Hotel have been in touch to ask me 20 minutes worth of questions on my week leading up to my stay (!?) I am yet to hear any more....

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

1 Thank Amanda S
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Dear Amanda S

Thank you for your review, and for letting us know of your disappointing experience. I believe that we are responding to your poor experience via our internal customer service channels and you will be aware that our Guest Assistance Department and Management Team have now been in contact with you personally.

Please do not hesitate to contact me further, should you feel we have not dealt with your disappointment in a timely manner, as we at the Hilton strive to meet or exceed our guests expectations on every visit.

Once again thank you for your feedback and for your loyalty to our Brand.

Kindest Regards