“Terrible hotel with nice staff” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Milton Keynes

Hilton Milton Keynes
Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Milton Keynes
“Terrible hotel with nice staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Upon checking in I wandered 100m down the corridor to room 134. Was greeted by a room with two plug sockets, one at the desk, one behind the door (so effectively pointless) the solitary useful plug is used for the clock, kettle and any of your own things. God forbid you want to iron a shirt whilst your laptop and mobile are charging, whilst knowing what time it is and waiting for the kettle to boil.
The plug in the sink was stuck down so water didn't drain away, the safe was locked shut, the TV reception was shocking, wifi was basically non-existent. The night manager (David) couldn't give a toss and actually shrugged his shoulders.
The nighttime bar staff were actually very helpful, as were the day staff. I was promptly offered a new room and a complimentary meal / bottle (graciously refused with thanks).
In summary, this hotel should be transported to Blackpool, in 1978.
If you want a really sub-standard experience please book this hotel, you'll have a great time. If on the other hand you are human, please find a nice bush / bus stop / wheelie bin and sleep there. It'll have better facilities, you'll be more comfortable and less disappointed.
At least a wheelie bin calls itself a wheelie bin. This wheelie bin calls itself a hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank StephenC1980
Dear StephenC1980

I am pleased to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful and that you were offered a room move on reporting some shortcomings during your stay.

I can confirm that we do have five sockets in the bedroom, and can only apologise if these were not visible on entering the room. They are conveniently situated under the desk area and on either side of the desk.

All our sockets are UK standard and there are further sockets by the bedside, however these ones are for the lights and standard lamp only.

On hearing about your experience via our Guest Assistance team, I believe we have responded and sent a personal apology to you.

Once again, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion, as it is only by receiving feedback such as yours that we can improve on our service and standards, and I sincerely trust that our personal response and gesture of goodwill went some way in easing your disappointment.

Ahmet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Polish first
Soham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Nice Hotel with very good rooms. The bed, en-suite, TV, shower all good.
The bar, gym and restaurant are also very good. The staff are also friendly - maybe overly (floating meter and greeters) so in an American way which is a little off putting for us Brits maybe
So far so good.
£15 a day for wi-fi in your room!!!! Not happy with that at all.
Also a bottle of water in your room - be careful as it is £3.95. This is not mentioned on arrival, nor in your greeting letter. It is on a tag on the bottle. Now I know I should have read the label but I didn't. When my colleagues were discussing the water I realised my error and asked the desk not charge me for my mistake which they kindly did. BUT I asked how often this happens and was told once a week - so if once a week they don't charge how much do they make on this from unsuspecting people?
I probably would not stay again because of the wi-fi.

1 Thank DavidHarvey95
Dear DavidHarvey95

Thank you for your excellent review of our hotel. I was pleased that you found our facilities good and staff friendly.

We do have large bottles of water available to purchase in the guest bedrooms, along with other Hilton Brands, and this is a standard across our chain. We also have smaller bottles of water to purchase on our Reception desk. I am sorry if the label was unclear, however I am pleased that our friendly Reception team, acknowledged and rectified this for you.

Hilton in the UK, do offer free WiFi in the rooms to our Gold and Diamond Hilton Honors members, and if you are a frequent visitor to the hotels, you may also consider joining our loyalty program. It is free and enables you to enjoy other benefits of being a member.

We do also provide free Wifi in our lounge area and various hot spots, to all guests staying in the hotel via a code available from Reception.

Once again, thank you for your review, and I do hope that you will consider using Hilton Hotels in the future.

United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Clean, modern, good breakfasts, pleasant staff, but expensive. Don't sign the £50 per day charge on your credit card and don't believe what you are told when yoour room key fails repeatedly unless you are in the habit of keeping it next to your mobile/laptop.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Michael G

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to hear that you found our facilities good and staff pleasant. As with all hotels, there is a standard pre-authorisation of credit/debit facilities on check-in for essentials/incidentals charged to your room. This is held and released by your bank according to the bank's procedures.

I was concerned to hear of the problem you had accessing your room with your key. although we had no other reports of room keys failing on that day, I will however, ask my Facilities Manager to check our system for any faults. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience this caused on this occasion.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Milton Keynes at some time in the future.

Swindon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Room comfortable and quiet. Very cramped working area. Nice friendly staff.

Gloomy lighting, with curtains that guarantee you up with the sunrise. They didn't service my room on Monday.

Seriously let down for working by rip-off WiFi pricing. Saying that it would be free if I had a Gold/Diamond card holders does not cut it. It is still an outrageous price - much more for a day than a normal price for a month. Hilton is clearly coy about it because the web site keeps it a secret.

Says "The guest rooms are all bright and attractively decorated, and fully-connected with WiFi and 32-inch TVs."
Means "The guest rooms are all bright (no they are gloomy) and attractively decorated (included), and fully-connected with WiFi (expensive) and 32-inch TVs.(included)"

The careful mixing of normal stuff and WiFi misleads you into thinking WiFi is included.

First business trip to a Hilton for ages. Bad mistake. I'm certainly not switching based on this experience.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ADonmez, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Richard H

Thank you for your review. I was sorry to hear of your disappointment with the decor in your room. We do have an ongoing refurbishment programme where many of our rooms have seen redecoration and other enhancements, and I am sorry that the room you were allocated did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Along with Hilton Brand hotels in the UK, we do offer free WiFi in the rooms to our Gold and Diamond Hilton Honors members, and you may also consider joining our loyalty program in order to enjoy the many benefits, if you are a frequent visitor to the hotels.

Travellers are raving about these Milton Keynes hotels

Dorchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I booked a double room for an amazing £47 online, excluding breakfast. The location is a bit out of the way, you need to drive to go anywhere. But it is a fine modern 4 star, and it's quiet. The staff were pleasant. My only gripe is that wifi in your room is an extra £15, which seems ridiculous.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ADonmez, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Lewis B

Thank you for sharing experience of your stay with others on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to hear that you found a good rate and that you enjoyed our facilities and found our staff pleasant.

Along with other hotels in the Hilton Brand, we do offer free WiFi in the rooms to our Gold and Diamond Hilton Honors members, and you may also consider joining our loyalty scheme in order to enjoy the many benefits, if you are a frequent visitor to the hotels. However, we do also provide free Wifi in our lounge area and various hot spots, to all guests staying in the hotel via a code available from Reception.

Once again, thank you for your very kind comments, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

milton keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

this was my second biz trip to same place, uk. i stayed hilton milton keynes 13 nights half year ago and 12 nights for this trip. staff of this hotel were really kind and always tried makes me comfortable. i got 2 free bottle water for hhonors club benefit when i checked in. cleaning service was also good. breakfast...was.. perfect. i do want to stay here again when i go there. thank you.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Sulki Y

I was delighted to hear that you have stayed with us in the past and decided to revisit the Hilton Milton Keynes. My team join me in thanking you for your very kind comments, and it is great news to hear that you will be visiting us again in the future. You will be made most welcome!!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Booked this hotel as part of a package deal to visit Bletchley park so was pleasantly surprised by how good it was.
Firstly I would like to say the hotel staff were the friendliest I have ever met. Every member of staff we met from the leisure team to housekeeping, reception and restaurant was polite, attentive and helpful. It made a refreshing change and I feel that there hard work and effort be recognised.
Hotel facilities are excellent. We made full use of the pool and spa and it was lovely. Towels were provided. The hotel was immaculately clean throughout and the bedroom was large and modern. The bed was very comfortable and the hotel was quiet so had a very good nights sleep.
Food at dinner and breakfast excellent and tasty with a great selection to chose from.
Would 100% rebook if in the area again. Thanks

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank vickyspike
Dear vickyspike

I was pleased to read your comments with regard to your stayover in Milton Keynes. My team were delighted to hear that you found them friendly, attentive, and helpful and it was our pleasure to have welcomed you to our hotel.

We hope to see you again soon!