“Enjoyed our stay”

The Different Drummer Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Milton Keynes
The Different Drummer Hotel
Ranked #28 of 34 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Basingstoke
“Enjoyed our stay”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed for a family function so we were out until late so we weren't around the hotel much but we were very pleased with our stay. The hotel is very quaint & full of character but the room itself was warm and comfortable. We booked on laterooms.com and breakfast was not included so we paid extra for it but I thought it was good & overall the whole deal was good vallue for money.
The owner said it would have been cheaper if we booked direct - not sure if that's true but may be worth checking before you book

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank simonbas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2011

My husband and I booked into the hotel as it was close to where a family celebration was taking place. From the moment we arrived, the owner looked after us and made us feel very welcome. The room was lovely, clean and pleasant with fresh fruit & chocolates.
We will definitely stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Book directly with the hotel and ask for the owner!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Spoiltangel
Durham
Reviewed 9 September 2011

This could be a nice hotel if the owner bothered to repair the potholes (big puddles) that have to be negotiated between the car park and the hotel; heat the bedrooms (mine was cold in the evening); replace the mattresses (worst hotel mattress I've ever slept on); mend the jacuzzi; do something about the electrical buzzing sound in my room all night; not market a room as having a four poster double bed when it had two single beds with a double sheet stretched across them; not ask for payment in advance (don't agree to that); and when a guest leaves a night early not ask for full payment when the booking conditions were quite clear that late cancellation would incur a first night charge only. On the plus side I was given a free glass of wine to compensate for the jacuzzi and offered another room with a shower but having dragged a lot of luggage up three floors was too tired to bother with that. And the owner's PA contacted me later to offer a night at half price, which was a nice touch (but this should be the standard price for a hotel that's not getting the investment it should).

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank TJB123
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Wanting to stay in the local area to see friends I used Trip Advisor and saw that the Different drummer was No3 in MK. Oh how disappointing that turned out to be. Booked through the web and upon arrival the owner was on the reception desk. To say he was exasperating and confusing puts it mildy. He repeatedly said that I had two room bookings and advised me to cancel the internet brookers one. huum - is that because they pay a commision on that? A circular discussion ensued, and after several rotations, I called time on it and politely asked for the room. to say he didn't listen to us was an understatement. Deep breath and I thought we'd be OK. The room was accessed and what can I say. Tired sums it up. Cracked plaster on the walls & basin, the thinest towels, the hotest room in which the a/c free standing unit was as noisey as a JCB. It was clean-ish which was it's saving grace. Breakfast was another story. Fully processed (tinned mushrooms, pre-packed rolls) it looked like a Costco Picnic. Don't pay £10 for this. EVER.

The Different Drummer is stuck in a time warp. Hotel's at this price should make you feel special. It needs a make over, big style. Until it has that then the price should be halved or stay in the travel-lodge class ones near by - at least you know what you're getting there.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
zulkes, Guest Relations Manager at The Different Drummer Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2011
We were sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay at the Hotel Different Drummer. We pride ourselves on our guest relations and customer service.
The hotel dates back to the 12th century and as such, is a historic hotel and an old building. The owners have invested in updating the property with modern ammenities for the comfort of our guests. Should any guests experience any issues with their room, we have a staff member on site at all times, who can attend to any problems.
Hotel DIfferent Drummer takes bookings both directly by phone and also through online booking sites. Once booked through an online site, we do not instruct guests to cancel and book directly, otherwise this would affect our relationship with our online booking sites. All booking sites state on the confirmation sheet that breakfast is 'not included' in the price. We recognize that our reception sent you a seprate confirmation that listed breakfast as 'included' in your rate. This was a clerical error for which we do apologize. We wish to note that breakfast was provided with your booking at no extra charge to compensate for any inconvenience caused. Our breakfast is made fresh daily on site. We offer both a continental and cooked breakfast option.
The Hotel Different Drummer would be happy to answer any further questions or concerns directly by phone or email.
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Parking can be difficult here, as you really have to park on the road (opposite the hotel) but there is no restriction. However, if it's in the middle of the day, space is at a premium.
I stayed for one night; the room I was allocated had a bad drain smell, but management moved me straight away to a very nice room. If you arrive late, as I did, staff may be in the bistro next door, but they were very helpful once I found them.
I had already eaten, but if you book because of the good-looking Italian restaurant, then be warned that it is not open at the moment and won't be for some time. This is because the owners have put all their investment into the next door bistro; however, food looks good in there and I would be happy to eat there.
Room was comfortable and I slept very well indeed.
I will be travelling to this town again soon and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Stayed here for a couple of nights to attend a concert at MK Bowl.

We had an executive room which was a decent size, very comfortable and well furnished (Sony Bravia TV for example.) The room had blinds on the windows, a large comfortable bed and was very quiet so we slept very well on both nights.

We ate in the restaurant on the first night and had a beautiful meal. Excellent food and very attentive service, nothing was too much trouble.

I would certainly stay here again and, in my opinion, Stony Stratford is a nicer setting than Milton Keynes. My only complaint would be that, at the price I paid for 2 nights, I would expect breakfast to be included. I found it unusual that it was not and a little mean. That said, there is a lovely little cafe down the road that did a marvellous full English!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike J
London
Reviewed 16 June 2011

I didn't stay at the hotel but used it for a function where I entertained about 25 friends and family to a high tea. The food was all freshly made on the day and was delicious. The staff were thoughtful and courteous. When it quickly became apparent that the food would be better served at the tables rather than as a help yourself buffet, the staff quickly set about changing things without any fuss and continued to wait on everyone with a smile on their lips. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
The White Hart
The White Hart
#4 of 4 in Buckingham
Travelodge Milton Keynes Old Stratford
Travelodge Milton Keynes Old Str...
#16 of 34 in Milton Keynes
The Bell Hotel
The Bell Hotel
#1 of 1 in Winslow
Holiday Inn Express Milton Keynes

Been to The Different Drummer Hotel? Share your experiences!