We stayed at the Mercure for one night on Saturday 23 August to attend a wedding function. We arrived later afternoon to allow us sufficient time to eat, freshen up and get ready for the evenings celebration. On arrival we were told we were in a superior room, no problem. The room was pleasant enough, however we had no tea / coffee / milk etc. although the room had a kettle and cups. In the bathroom again no shampoo or shower gel, just a bar of soap !!
I was struggling to understand what made this a superior room, as it was as standard bed nothing extravagant. We then decided to eat so I called room service to order hot food. I was at first taken aback as was told when I asked to make an order a flat , No !! I asked as to why I couldn't order food and was then told there was a Gas leak !! Strange I thought as there was a wedding b/fast going on with a 3 course hot meal being served. I asked what we could have and was then told she would check with the kitchen. Ten mins later there was a call to the room telling me we could have sandwiches, with no other option we asked for 2 ham, salad sandwiches. About 30 mins later they arrived, however this was nothing more than 2 slices of bread, 1 slice of ham with some salad garnish on the side and a few crisps. I was then presented with the Bill, I fell down as it read £18.50. I said forget it, I refuse to pay that much for 2 pieces of bread and a slice of ham, so over priced to the point of day light robbery !!
I then decided to go to reception and find out why our room was classed as superior, on the was there was a member of staff so I asked him what the difference was between standard and superior, he went on to say tea / coffee etc. etc. and bath robes and slippers. I pointed out that we had none of these and told him my room number, he then confirmed that it wasn't a superior room and would sort it on my behalf with reception for when I check out. He then returned with all the above, so he was being helpful.
On Sunday morning we went for B/fast. there were no glasses for Juice so I asked the waitress for glasses, I stood for nearly 5 mins waiting until I took some tea cups from another table to fill with juice. The lady who had gone for glasses was walking around but still no glasses, we let it go and stuck with our tea cups for juice, which by now had also run out !!
After B/fast I went o settle my bill, I was then presented with a bill for £108 for a standard room of £70 inc B/fast.. I pointed out to reception that this had been sorted out by the member of staff the previous night and that we had refused the overpriced S/wiches etc. etc.
After then trying to reduce the bill to £90 they eventually agreed to charge me the initial proposed rate by phone pre book of £70 and not inc the said S/wiches.
I was also told by reception that robes and slippers were for the Prestige rooms not for others. I was now more confused as we hadn't asked for these or used them they were just brought to us after asking for tea / coffee etc.
It appears that there is a lot of confusion between what room is what standard and staff unfamiliar with the tariffs for what room costs what and what room falls in to which category..
The Gas leak, I still think was a curved ball to avoid us having a hot meal on Saturday evening, maybe due to staff resources or too busy with a function to prepare hot food for us..by Sunday morning no Gas engineers had been seen however a full B/fast had been cooked !!
Not at all a good experience, over priced, confused pricing, no communication between staff as to what had happened and then a full discussion with reception staff re my reasons in front of other guests who commented to me that I had a robust case for my refusal to pay the amount initially on the Bill..
It has to be sad this hotel is sadly lacking in a number of areas as experienced..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mercure Milton Keynes Parkside hotel is a boutique 4 star hotel, located in the village of Woughton on the Green just minutes from central Milton Keynes. The hotel has been extensively refurbished including guest bedrooms, public areas and function rooms. The popular Seasons Restaurant has a traditional menu and has recently gained an AA Rosette, and the hotel bar serves drinks and light meals menu in the stunning lounge area or outside on the terrace overlooking the surrounding fields and parkland. The hotel has 3 fully-equipped meeting rooms for up to 150 people, perfect for business as well as weddings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, ACCOR, Priceline, Lastminute, Odigeo, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Milton Keynes Parkside Hotel (soon Woughton House - MGallery by Sofitel) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Parkside Milton Keynes Hotel Milton Keynes
- Mercure Milton Keynes Parkside Hotel (Soon Woughton House - MGallery By Sofitel) Buckinghamshire
- Accor Milton Keynes