Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Milton Keynes
W.Midlands
“One issue after another !!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

We stayed at the Mercure for one night on Saturday 23 August to attend a wedding function. We arrived later afternoon to allow us sufficient time to eat, freshen up and get ready for the evenings celebration. On arrival we were told we were in a superior room, no problem. The room was pleasant enough, however we had no tea / coffee / milk etc. although the room had a kettle and cups. In the bathroom again no shampoo or shower gel, just a bar of soap !!

I was struggling to understand what made this a superior room, as it was as standard bed nothing extravagant. We then decided to eat so I called room service to order hot food. I was at first taken aback as was told when I asked to make an order a flat , No !! I asked as to why I couldn't order food and was then told there was a Gas leak !! Strange I thought as there was a wedding b/fast going on with a 3 course hot meal being served. I asked what we could have and was then told she would check with the kitchen. Ten mins later there was a call to the room telling me we could have sandwiches, with no other option we asked for 2 ham, salad sandwiches. About 30 mins later they arrived, however this was nothing more than 2 slices of bread, 1 slice of ham with some salad garnish on the side and a few crisps. I was then presented with the Bill, I fell down as it read £18.50. I said forget it, I refuse to pay that much for 2 pieces of bread and a slice of ham, so over priced to the point of day light robbery !!

I then decided to go to reception and find out why our room was classed as superior, on the was there was a member of staff so I asked him what the difference was between standard and superior, he went on to say tea / coffee etc. etc. and bath robes and slippers. I pointed out that we had none of these and told him my room number, he then confirmed that it wasn't a superior room and would sort it on my behalf with reception for when I check out. He then returned with all the above, so he was being helpful.

On Sunday morning we went for B/fast. there were no glasses for Juice so I asked the waitress for glasses, I stood for nearly 5 mins waiting until I took some tea cups from another table to fill with juice. The lady who had gone for glasses was walking around but still no glasses, we let it go and stuck with our tea cups for juice, which by now had also run out !!

After B/fast I went o settle my bill, I was then presented with a bill for £108 for a standard room of £70 inc B/fast.. I pointed out to reception that this had been sorted out by the member of staff the previous night and that we had refused the overpriced S/wiches etc. etc.

After then trying to reduce the bill to £90 they eventually agreed to charge me the initial proposed rate by phone pre book of £70 and not inc the said S/wiches.

I was also told by reception that robes and slippers were for the Prestige rooms not for others. I was now more confused as we hadn't asked for these or used them they were just brought to us after asking for tea / coffee etc.
It appears that there is a lot of confusion between what room is what standard and staff unfamiliar with the tariffs for what room costs what and what room falls in to which category..

The Gas leak, I still think was a curved ball to avoid us having a hot meal on Saturday evening, maybe due to staff resources or too busy with a function to prepare hot food for us..by Sunday morning no Gas engineers had been seen however a full B/fast had been cooked !!

Not at all a good experience, over priced, confused pricing, no communication between staff as to what had happened and then a full discussion with reception staff re my reasons in front of other guests who commented to me that I had a robust case for my refusal to pay the amount initially on the Bill..
It has to be sad this hotel is sadly lacking in a number of areas as experienced..

Room Tip: Check what room tariff is and what they class it as before you accept it....
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adrian10
Nicholas B, General Manager at Mercure Milton Keynes Parkside Hotel (soon Woughton House - MGallery by Sofitel), responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Thank you for your review. I'm very sorry to see that you faced some issues during your stay and I'd be happy to discuss them directly with you. My email address is nicholas.bees@accor.com.

Just to clarify, we have three types of bedroom, classic, superior and privilege rooms. Robes and slippers and espresso machines are standard only in the Privilege bedrooms. I can't be sure however the rate that you were paying sounds like it was for a standard/classic bedroom and you were offered a complimentary upgrade to a Superior bedroom. Because the team member wanted to offer a gesture of goodwill he brought robes and slippers etc to your bedroom although this is not a standard in a Superior bedroom.

We did unfortunately have a suspected gas leak in the kitchen that night and, after serving the wedding breakfast decided it was prudent to shut the gas down for safety reasons. Our contractor attended that evening, I believe around 9pm, and the kitchen was reopen, luckily, for breakfast the following morning.

Once again, I'm really sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay and had these issues. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind regards
Nicholas Bees

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

Stayed at the mercure for one night, asked the receptionist to book a taxi for the morning which she said she did, waited for 20 minutes that morning to be told she didn't Actaully book one! Late for my meeting because of this. The room I stayed in had stains on the curtains and the bed, not what you'd expect for £120 for 1 night. When checking out of the hotel not a single goodbye or Thankyou just a redundant stare. Terrible service and can't even provide a clean room.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Iamrosskemp
Thank you for posting your review. I'm sorry to see that we didn't meet your expectations.

I have received your email directly and other posted reviews and shall respond in due course straight to you. I'm currently investigating your comments.

Kind regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

I bought the celebration afternoon tea as a retirement gift for a friend. From the point of enquiry I found the service to be excellent. Martina was helpful & emailed me a copy of the menu straight away. On the day we were shown into the restaurant & served by Ali who was attentive, friendly & efficient. The champagne was served straight away & we were given a choice of teas to choose from. However we both chose coffee!! We were also given a carafe of water. The afternoon tea arrived on a tiered plate with a wide selection of sandwiches & cakes. We were told that the scones would be delivered when we had finished with those. We were left to enjoy our food and we're not rushed at any stage. Extra coffee was delivered on request. The food was excellent but we were unable to finish all our cakes so asked if we could take these away. The waitress (sorry I didn't get your name) took them away & returned them divided equally into two bags. When the scones arrived they were still warm & absolutely delicious. My friend & I thoroughly enjoyed the tea. Well done Mercure - an excellent experience & fab food. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for posting your review, and I'm delighted to see that you both enjoyed our Afternoon Tea... we take a lot of pride in it!

We hope to welcome you back soon...

Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night following a business trip and appeared to be in similar company - at dinner there were 5 lone diners!
My initial impressions of the main building were good - it has a lovely facade and the front area that houses the reception and bar were nicely decorated with plenty of light coming through the windows to a comfortable seating area.
My room was in the coach house annex and was a good sized double room, although a little dark due to the need for net curtains at the windows that looked out to a further building on one side and trees on the other. I found the bed to be comfortable but the duvet was beginning to develop clumps of filling in some areas and thin spots in others, which was a pity. There was a definite 'fragrance' in the room, whether this was the edge of damp or the cleaning products that were used, I couldn't tell. It wasn't totally unpleasant but something niggled at the edge of nice/nasty. The room was clean and had all the described facilities - tea/coffee, hairdryer, tv, desk etc.
The bathroom definitely needs some work - the grouting should be replaced, the ceiling needs re painting, the shower MUST be replaced - the attachment to the wall was cracked and the shower head old. The sink plug had become detached and there was a large build up of limescale on the toilet flush.
I had dinner in the restaurant and the daily set menu was good value - 2 courses plus a drink for £14.50 or 3 courses for £16.50. The food was good and the creme brulee dessert was delicious. I would say that the prices for wine were ridiculously expensive - only one was below £20 (by 5p!) and most were in excess of £22. When it's possible to buy a decent bottle for £7-10 these days, those prices are way too high. I found the dining room decor disappointing. The chairs were lovely - nice warm autumn shades and very comfortable. The carpet was nice and then....the walls were painted pale blue. It made the room feel very clinical and was at odds with the chairs. I think it would be far more pleasant with a warmer wall colour and some nicer pictures.
Breakfast was also very good - a wide selection of items.
I found the customer service throughout my stay really good. Everyone I spoke with was courteous and helpful.
Overall, the hotel was a nice place but there are some housekeeping points that should be reviewed and the prices reconsidered for both drinks and some of the individual food items on the menu. 3 stars today, but could easily become 4 stars with a few adjustments and therefore worth the price that is currently being charged for rooms.

Room Tip: The coach house rooms could suffer from the cold during winter.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Lokket
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your considered review of the hotel. I'm really pleased to see that, on the whole you enjoyed your stay, and we shall certainly be discussing your improvement points to hep improve our guest's experience.

We've done a lot to try and enhance the hotel lately and will continue doing this, so your feedback is really important!

Many thanks again

Whippingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Many thanks to Mr Bees and his staff for a lovely week away in Milton Keynes . We booked into this hotel after our daughter was married at the hotel three years ago .We stayed in room 27 and had a great stay the room was clean well appointed and comfortable . Plus the room afforded a great view onto really well kept gardens
Parking no problem
Food in the restaurant 1st class
Reception staff 1st Class
During the stay we had a few minor issues these were dealt with by Mr Bees in a high professional manner and in no way did they distract from the standard of the hotel .
Once again many thanks to all
N Moore and M Moore

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your lovely review - I'm delighted to see that you enjoyed your week with us, we certainly enjoyed having you stay!

We look forward to welcoming you back to see us again soon!

Kind regards and best wishes

Hoersholm, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

This is a wonderful hotel, where you feel welcome and can relax in very nice surrounding. The staff is very friendly and adds a great atmosphere to relax in after long working days - it nearly feels like vacation.

The hotel an extended mansion and is situated in the middle of a park, which provide good tracks for running/walks. The restaurant is pretty good with a varied menu. The bar has a nice outside area in which to enjoy a drink in the afternoon, and the inside is lounge-like. Internet via wi-fi works well, also for work and skyping.

Plumbing seems difficult, water temperature and quantity is difficult to control for a shower, but this is no different for the majority of other hotels in the area. The beds in several of the rooms could use an update, and a few of the rooms are quite small. In general, the noise isolation could be better, but it is rarely a problem. According to colleagues, staying in the coach-house should be avoided due to weak noise isolation.

We settled on this hotel after trying several other hotels in MK, and have been there weekly for some months.

Room Tip: I suggest asking for rooms in the back, facing the park (east-ward view). Lovely view and a quiet...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ulrik P
Thank you so much for your kind and considered review. It's lovely when a regular guest posts a review as it shows a real depth of knowledge.

We look forward to welcoming you back...

Kindest regards

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed 2 nights in July. Looked lovely from the outside but what a disappointment on entering the hotel. The carpets are in need of cleaning. The bedroom was nice and big but the air conditioning did not work(fortunately we were able to open the windows wide on the very hot nights in July), to use the fixed shower you would have to sit on the bath taps and the bed was far too soft and creaky. We ate dinner in the hotel on the first night. It was excellent as was the breakfast. Shame the rest of the hotel is so shabby. It has so much potential but definitely not 4* at the moment. Don't think we will be rushing back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dianne M
Nicholas B, General Manager at Mercure Milton Keynes Parkside Hotel (soon Woughton House - MGallery by Sofitel), responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I'm really sorry to see that you were disappointed. We're currently on a programme of carpet cleaning throughout the hotel although I'm unaware of any being particularly bad. I'm also unaware of any bedroom where you need to sit on the taps to be under the shower. Perhaps you could contact me directly to discuss your stay in order for me to further investigate your comments. My direct email address is nicholas.bees@accor.com.

Many thanks once again