“Excellent for a 3 star hotel”

Novotel Milton Keynes
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Milton Keynes
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 June 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Scox456, Manager at Novotel Milton Keynes, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

There are newer reviews for Novotel Milton Keynes

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I do not like to leave negative feedback but this place deserves it.

It all started last year when we booked to stay for one evening, On that evening there was a gypsy party and the whole hotel was dirty and a total mess. There where feces and grime all over the spa and we left the next day very angry. Complained a few times the previous night but the receptions was clearly struggling.

Contacted the manager afterwards who gave me a voucher (1 free night) and refunded me half my stay, which i thought was a good solution.

2nd stay Feb 2014

We went to a gig in Milton Keynes and decided to use our voucher, Upon arriving it was a lot quieter and we thought this will surely be a better stay,

We had a similar room then as before, now its very basic room but we new this the problem is the cleanliness. The bed had very thing mattress and the pillows might as well not been there, the bathroom was basic with a bath tub that was missing the plug, for the 2nd time! walls had a lot of stains, this hotel is in desperate need of a renovation!

Deciding to forget about the room we headed down to the SPA (if you can call it that) We walked in and it was totally dead as soon as i walked in the changing room it was clear the floor hadn't been mopped for hours and hours, literally dirt everywhere, Met my partner in the SPA and we headed to the steam room, mistake! we sat there for 10 seconds looked around and there was mold on the floor between the tiles and near the door, i thought this was suppose to be a SPA?! We samples the breakfast the next day and it just topped of what was a shocking stay,. It was so unorganized, even though the restaurant wasnt full we still had to wait for 15 minutes to be seated. Finally sat down we where hoping for a nice breakfast only to find about 3 different pastries and cooked breakfast which had been lying there for ages, The tea and coffee came in FLASKS! and was empty most of the time!

When we checked out the reception asked us if we enjoyed our stay, i said what do you think?

One of the poorest hotels i have ever stayed! seriously!

Room Tip: Please choose another hotel, it is not worth your hard earned cash!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Scox456, Manager at Novotel Milton Keynes, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and I will certainly address the issues you raise with the Housekeeping Manager in regards to the issues you raise. I do not believe that the standard of hotel you speak of is representative of how we usually are here but I will certainly share your comments with the team.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had 3 rooms booked at the hotel where we stayed overnight following a family party in the area. Very pleased with the hotel, the rooms were excellent and the staff extremely helpful - particularly Claudio - who went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed, and very pleasant with it too!
Would definitely recommend this hotel and we wouldn't hesitate in staying again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Scox456, Manager at Novotel Milton Keynes, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Guest

I am truly glad that your enjoyed your stay, and will certainly share your comments with the team here and especially Claudiu who I know will be very happy to hear your praise.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I read past reviews so wasn't expecting much, but I found the staff all very pleasant, rooms clean and spacious, and the bed comfy.
Pool and sauna free and very enjoyable after a long day at work.
Have stayed in several hotels in MK recently and this is one of the better ones.
Good selection of healthy food, my only suggestion would be to review bar prices, they're a bit high

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and I will certainly share it with the team here. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and we sincerely hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The hotel has a welcoming lobby area and is child friendly. There is even a little play area with a games console. The Wifi is excellent and free. Sadly this is where my praise ends.

There are serious hygiene problems in this hotel. Being able to smell urine from previous guests is not a feature I would expect in any establishment. The rooms all have a toilet that is separate from the bathroom. The first thing I noticed about the room containing the toilet was the putrid wafts of stale pee. This was reported to reception and someone from housekeeping was sent along to deal with the problem. Not being able to hang around and wait, I scurried down to the ladies in the lobby and was horrified to discover something that looked like a dirty protest all over one of the toilet seats.

I headed straight to the reception desk to report the issue in the ladies toilets and couldn't help but overhear a family who were making a complaint about hygiene issues about the swimming pool area: dirty floors and a smell of urine near the sauna. Yuck! Needless to say I didn't go swimming.

By the time I returned to my room, housekeeping had been to 'solve' the pee issue with a few squirts of air freshener. This barely even put a mask on the problem. The place is need of a deep clean. I've read a few of the reviews on here and am not the first to report about urine smells. The place is, for want of a better word, minging.

All staff members I dealt with were polite, but behind the smiles hides a hotel jumping in germs. We were offered a complimentary stay because of our unpleasant experience, but I'd rather sleep out in the open air.

Room Tip: Take your own air freshener. You'll need it.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, and I am sorry that you feel this way about your stay. I will admit that the rain at the weekend caused issues with our drainage system, and this is an issue which our Maintenance Team needed to deal with. I will certainly take your feedback regarding the pool area and ladies toilet to the Housekeeping Manager, as I know that this does not reflect our usual standard of cleanliness in this hotel.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights while visiting friends in the area. Overall a very enjoyable stay. Complimentary wifi was great! The room was very clean (and well cleaned each day). Shower was nice pressure and good supply of hot water. Towels were huge and very soft - much appreciated. Bed was not soft but I slept very well. I enjoyed the sofa in the room so that I could watch tv from it or read.

Enjoyed the gym and pool was nice as well. There are steam and heat saunas if you're so inclined to use them. They took too long to heat up so I didn't get a chance to try them.

Had breakfast one morning but at 14 GBP I didn't want to spend that much each day so I went to the local grocery store and bought some fruit and croissants. The bar was nice and staff very attentive. Enjoyed a glass of wine my first day there. All the staff I talked to were very nice and attentive. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Scox456, Manager at Novotel Milton Keynes, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Guest

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will certainly share your feedback with the team here. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to the Novotel Milton Keynes in the future.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

The Novotel Hotl, Milton Keynes is a budget hotel trying to be an up market hotel. The staff are very friendly and efficient but the quality of the romms are what lets the hotel down. The beds are very hard and unconfortable. The noise transmitted between rooms became an annoyance on my first night due to the number of parties that were being hosted by the hotel.

Room Tip: Cannot think of a positive thing to say about the rooms
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Scox456, Manager at Novotel Milton Keynes, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback which I will certainly share with the team here.

I am glad that you found positives in our staff and I know that they pride themselves of this attribute. I am sorry that you found our bedrooms not to your liking. A hard mattress is not I will admit, to everyones taste and I am sorry that you found this uncomfortable.