“Probably the worst hotel in the universe.”

Campanile Hotel Milton Keynes - Fenny Stratford
Ranked #32 of 35 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

We did not even stay the night.
We lasted 3 hours in the hotel before we walked out absolutely disgusted.
In those 3 hours we had the following:
Whilst situated in the QUIET zone of the hotel we experienced 1 million decibel noise levels from very common hen parties intoxicated, screaming, playing very loud music, jumping around, running up and down the hall way and setting off the fire alarms.
The room hadn't seen a lick of paint since 1892 and the carpet had more stains than a stain glass window.
The bed was not screwed to the wall so when you sat on it it nearly threw you through the window.

When we tried to speak to a member of staff we were greeted by complete disinterest and smugness.
They lied about why the fire alarms went off and there was no signs of a health and safety fire protocol. Utterly shocking!

We tried to contact the manager on 4 occasions but he would not call us back. When we finally got through, which was by chance as he answer the phone, his customer service skills were worse than the hotel.

He was rude, talked over us and generally was not interested in the issues we raised.
It was only when I tried to escalate it to his area manager that he finally listened and gave us a refund. Basically he was scared I would highlight these concerns and it may risk his job. No refund was offered, we had to fight for 3 days for this to eventually and grudgingly refund the total.

If you have any sense you wil avoid this chain. It is plain awful.

• Stayed: March 2014
7  Thank Angelina T

Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Having been booked here by my company and reading the reviews I was dreaded it but.... Yes the place is a bit shabby with little investment but it was clean and the staff are lovely and real try hard. On a quiet mid week the food arrive very quickly and was perfectly OK. It does not try to be fancy and is very good value. Yes there is a nightclub opposite but luckily not open during my tues/weds night stay. My stay has been much better than I expected and I applaud the staff both reception and bar/restaurant

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 March 2014

This is a basic hotel which is perfect for me when traveling through the area for business. I've stayed here 3 times and my room has always been clean and service adequate. The food is nothing fancy however edible, especially breakfast. When you just need to basics, then stay here.

Room Tip: If you have heavy luggage, request a room on the ground floor as there is no elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This has to be the worst hotel I've ever stayed in, the rooms are shabby and in need of refurbishment, I had a blocked sink in my room and no tea or coffee, so house keeping leaves a lot to be desired. To add insult to injury the food is totally inedible, after waiting over an hour for my meal it arrived overcooked and dry I was offered an alternative and told this would only take a few minutes, my food finally arrived 45 minutes later and was average. My complaint was dealt with grudgingly and I was made to feel in the wrong for complaining. I would suggest anyone considering this hotel look at a YMCA as i'm sure the accommodation would be of a higher standard.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Many of the other reviews of this hotel reflect my feelings. This is a sparse hotel with basic amenities that is one of those I just want to get a few hours sleep and then move on outfits. Its a French chain and reflects their style of motorway hotels that offer little except for a bed. Throughout you feel that French air of we are only going to provide you with the absolute necessities and anything extra you will have to pay for. They could learn a lot form Holiday Inn Express!
Rooms are clean and the service endeavours to help with the limited support they are given from what is obviously a very distant management. You felt they were struggling with low staff quotas and it was just a job not a vocation.
Rooms are not well sound proofed so get a room at the end of the corridor otherwise you will hear everyone coming in at all hours and with a nightclub opposite this can be the case!

Room Tip: Go for rooms as far away from Reception as possible
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 February 2014

My usual hotel was fully booked and I ended up here. The rooms were in a separate block to reception, which felt a little strange as a solo traveller. The bed was old soft, bedding was clean, room warm, but carpets stained and needed replacing. No lift so I struggled up to the 2nd floor with 2 cases and a bag,

The pub/restaurant. Well wish I hadn't bothered. I ordered a pizza. After 50 minutes I asked where it was " oh we had a big order before yours" came the reply. Well and??/ So what?? This pub had about 30 people in it, and maybe half were eating. When it came it was totally inedible.

The other guests were noisy. It was like being on a school trip with doors banging, shouting and people running up and down corridors. Never again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Don M W
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel for the night in order to attend a two day conference. Whilst I understand it was late when we arrived, I expected slightly more than a piece of paper shoved my way implying I should fill it in, and then being told that I didn't have to fill it all in once I had!
The room was basic but clean and tidy. The bed felt as though it was going to fall apart when I got into it, we had a twin room and my colleague did not sleep well at all, I would say it was a good job I was so tired! Incidentally the beds were small, squashed close together and only had one pillow on each.
On a far brighter note: the shower was excellent! I was impressed having such a bad bed that the en-suite shower was quite so powerful, though the sign asking guests to ensure that the door was shut to avoid setting the fire alarm off made me chuckle and wonder which unfortunate guests were in the hotel the night that they discovered that this was the case?

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business