“Pretty good for a short stay.”
Review of The Cock Hotel

The Cock Hotel
Ranked #27 of 34 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Pretty good for a short stay.”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Reviews seem to have been mixed, but our experience was very good.
Large car park at rearl and a friendly welcome at reception. I think this is a classic case of doing exactly as expected. It is an old coaching inn on the main road. As such, expect some old styling in the building, creaky floors and morning noise if you get a room overlooking the road. In reality this is exactly as expected from a coaching inn that has been in business for hundreds of years.
The room was fine, the facilities fine, the prices fine. Excellent breakfast only very slightly marred by undercooked toast. Good sausage and eggs.
We actually ate in the restaurant in the evening and were happy with the standard 'pub grub' style because that is what we were both expecting and looking for.
Recommended as a typical pub based stay in an old market town. Just be realistic on your expectations and you will be very content.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the front if you are easily wakened by morning traffic.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at The Cock Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank-you for taking the time to review our hotel, we are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and even more so that you enjoyed the meal you had in the restaurant. Our team here endeavour to give great service and really appreciate your positive feedback, sorry that your toast was not to your liking at breakfast. Thank-you again we hope to see you again at the Cock Hotel soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

This hotel is very close to home, walking distance, so I've used it many times for drinks or meals over the last few years. The bar and hotel look quite nice, especially after the re-modelling last year, the problems are more than skin deep.
The staff can sometimes be quite good, but there seems to be a problem with a lack of staffing: it isn’t uncommon to have to wait many minutes at the bar to buy a drink. When you do get served the staff are usually friendly and helpful.
The main problem seems to be the food coming out of the kitchen: occasionally it is quite good, but in general it is mediocre to poor. Recently I called to meet a friend and decided to have a light meal whilst I was waiting. I ordered nachos with chilli con carne. What I got looked OK, but although the bowl was warm the chilli was so cold it would best be described as icy. I took it to the bar and complained, asking for it to be replaced. A few minutes later the food came back this time at a reasonable temperature. Despite the problems there was no attempt at an apology or recompense.
This isn’t a one-off problem: I’ve seen a group of people where the first people served had finished their mains before the last mains were served; a bacon and cheese burger with no bacon; a “medium rare” steak served well done, and these are just the problems I can immediately remember.
Overall a nice place for a drink, but cross your fingers if you order food.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at The Cock Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
We are pleased that you have visited us so many times over the years. And we too are very happy about the appearance and atmosphere at our Hotel since it was refurbished. However, we are sorry that you feel the standards of our food has slipped. We strive to keep both our food and standards of service at the high level one would expect. We hope you will return soon and feel sure you will enjoy both a meal and service that you experienced with us in the past. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Travellers are raving about these Milton Keynes hotels

Dorset
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Staff at check in and at breakfast were extremely helpful and welcoming. They both seemed very anxious to please. The experience at check out was different. At 8 am there was no one there and I waited 15 minutes for someone to respond to my ringing the bell. He had 'been in the bathroom'. Fair enough, but why not get some one else to cover? After all, when are guests going to check out if not in the morning?

The breakfast was okay, a mushroom omelette from a reasonably wide range of choices.

The small single room was also adequate for what I paid. It was acceptably clean apart from the lack of a toilet brush. I did not appreciate the evidence left in the loo of the previous occupant's visit.

I paid £35 for a single room and breakfast so this review would be I not be so positive had I paid the full rate!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments, very much appreciated. And we hope that all our guests have an enjoyable experience with us, whatever the cost of the room. However, after what sounds to have been a very satisfactory check in, we seem to have failed in other areas on this occasion. We are pleased you enjoyed breakfast, we are proud to have such an extensive menu. But we are very sorry your room lacked all the essentials and that you were kept waiting on check out and realise how frustrating this would have been to you. All the staff have been briefed on the matter and we very much hope you visit our Hotel to enjoy another break with us in the very near future.
Mickleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

This is a nice old coaching inn which has undergone a substantial renovation over the last year or so. We called in recently for coffee and cake and were pleased at the changes made. They now have a good reasonably priced menu in a casual dining atmosphere and do an excellent sticky toffee pudding.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

While me and my parter stayed here for a nice get away I think next time I would look else were. The food was awful you can really tell it's boil in a bag microwaved or deepfat fried 3 times our fish and chips with mushy peas had to be replaced. A staff member called Barry really tried his best to help us and I would like to thank him. When it came to talking to the manager mark I think his name was didn't seem to care at all what we thought he was very rude and unhelpful but I guess you get what you pay for. I would defiantly stay in stony again but the cock hotel I would never stay at again shocking

• Stayed March 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have just returned from my daughter' s wedding which took place at The Cock on the 22nd March.

The venue was ideal, the service excellent and the food was great. Staff did everything they could to ensure that the day went well.

It's nice to get a freshly cooked breakfast served, rather than the buffet breakfasts that have become the norm.

Only one minor niggle - could do with bigger duvets on the king size beds.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Stayed here overnight. when I first arrived I was mortified as there as a function on that spilt out into the courtyard that my room overlooked and a lot of loud loud music.. However, i was out for the evening and it had finished by the time I was back.
Room was nice , roomy and comfortable.. lovely breakfast.. nice town and very friendly.. do think when booking you should be told if there is a function on as if i was after an early night then I would have been in trouble.. However, friendly place and will be staying there again...

Room Tip: check to see if a function is on!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at The Cock Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you for your positive feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here at the Cock Hotel.
We appreciate you bringing to our attention the fact that you were not notified of a function prior to your stay; it should be standard protocol to make our guests aware of any functions before a booking can be confirmed and we will endeavor to ensure this is consistently done here-on-in. See you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milton Keynes
Travelodge Milton Keynes Old Stratford
Travelodge Milton Keynes Old Str...
#16 of 34 in Milton Keynes
Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill
Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill
#3 of 34 in Milton Keynes
Woughton House - MGallery by Sofitel (was Mercure Parkside House)
The Saracens Head Hotel
#1 of 1 in Winslow
Novotel Milton Keynes
Novotel Milton Keynes
#9 of 34 in Milton Keynes

Been to The Cock Hotel? Share your experiences!