“Good Food”

Ranked #51 of 313 Restaurants in Maidstone
Price range: US$10 - US$44
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Dating back to the 14th century, The Cock Horse Inn in Detling is situated on the ancient Pilgrims' Way which follows the route of the devoted from Winchester to Canterbury.This historic pub and restaurant once stabled extra horses required to take heavy loads up the village's steep hill, and now provides an all-day menu of fortifying home-made food, with specials and three roasts on Sundays.
“Good Food”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Enjoyed a very tasty dinner Easter Monday. The menu was quite small but varied. There was a very noisy group on a table near us with children banging hard on the table so hard to enjoy a quite conversation with friends. We were offered another table. They were then asked to quiten down so they left. The staff were very helpful and service very good. As we left there was a small group of regulars in the bar and they were very friendly. I would definatly go back.

1 Thank Clarkie578

Kent, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a joke !!! Grannysal (please get a life)”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

On the way back from a lovely day out, we needed to find somewhere quick to feed our children, ages from 4montgs to 3 years old. We ordered some drinks, then ordered food. 10 minutes passed and them the waitress came over and said "the people at the bar have asked if your children can be quiet". I replied "I'm sure that there is a pub down the road that dose not allow children"
Within 2 minutes the manager/chef rudely asked us to be quiet or leave. Which we promptly did. He then had the audacity to square up to one of us. This was our first and last time of going to this pub.

Tonbridge, United Kingdom
“NO KIDS!!”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I eat out 3-4 times a week, 1 or 2 times with our children who we were with this time. My wife and I have both worked as bar staff in pubs and restaurants and as a result are generous tippers and always try to look on the positive as far as service goes.

This info is relevant when you read the story of the most bizarre pub experience of our lives.

We had had a great day out at Howletts with friends who also had children (who were asleep). It was about 5:30, so not main restaurant time and as the pub had a kids menu that it would be fine if we brought children in. It is 2014 after all.

We had placed a sizeable drinks and food order and were chatting happily when the waitress (who I am guessing was the landlord's wife) came up and said that people at the bar had complained about the noise the children were making and we were to keep it down.

My friend made a flippant comment asking why don't they leave rather than us and the waitress stormed off. The landlord came charging back extremely aggressively telling us how he was going to stop cooking if we did not do as we were told.

We thought it best just to leave because this was not at all pleasant.

My wife said they should not have a kids menu if they weren't happy to have kids in the pub.

I commented to the landlord on my way out that the way he spoke to his punters was disgusting (literally those words) and again he charged around the bar again and squared up to me, pushed my shoulder and looked menacing. I was carrying a 3 year old at the time.

He went on to say that the waitress was in tears over that comment and that we were really horrible people.

Clearly something else very odd was happening here as we had entered the Twilight Zone.

We left and on our way out the locals at the bar were all shouting "get out"!

Another couple of families left at the same time as us having seen what had happened to us.

I wish I had read these reviews before going to the place. The landlord's wife is obviously left to run the bar and wait during less busy times and she was obviously not having a great day. No wait staff should have broken down in tears over that comment.

The landlord should be running an inner city football pub and not attempt a "gastropub" as he is the pub industry's answer to Basil Fawlty, he obviously dislikes the punters he has to work with and neither have an idea about how to deal pleasantly with people.

This pub is great if you are a local, but outsiders beware of the rabid dog and the locals carrying pitch forks!

2 Thank AndrewL0967
“Easter Monday”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

The food and hospitality was great despite a visit from the kids from hell nearby. They were asked to restrain their tribe but got abusive. We'll done the staff for keeping their cool - we had a great meal. Thanx

Visited April 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Potential but just does not live up to expectations”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Recent visit to Cock Horse inn,I'm still trying to work out how bad it was,went with friends around 2 o'clock,it was totally empty and remained so until we left almost 2 hours later,that included the bar area,very strange atmosphere,quiet music in background,service was acceptable if a struggle to communicate,just did not feel comfortable with customers,food was only just acceptable to be honest.A very odd soup looked awful tasted fair,main eggs were cold and looked like had gone 5 rounds with judo specialist,dessert fair if very small,all courses poorly presented,a very limited menu.
Value got to be honest disappointed to say the least,Atmosphere as I said before non existent,bar totally dead nobody came or went,seats outside in a small courtyard plus tables on grass area.
All in all has so much potential but something is not right,just can't put finger on it,pretty sure we will not be going back I'm afraid,