“poor especially for vegetarians”
Review of The Cock Horse Inn

The Cock Horse Inn
Ranked #48 of 335 Restaurants in Maidstone
Price range: US$11 - US$54
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Dating back to the 14th century, The Cock Horse Inn in Detling is situated on the ancient Pilgrims' Way which follows the route of the devoted from Winchester to Canterbury.This historic pub and restaurant once stabled extra horses required to take heavy loads up the village's steep hill, and now provides an all-day menu of fortifying home-made food, with specials and three roasts on Sundays.
Reviewed 25 May 2014

A group of us went on a Saturday night, I had previously eaten her many years ago which was nice how things had changed. The menu is quite small which i would not mind if the food was lovely but it was definitely not. There are only two vegetarian options goats cheese and cameralised tart and risotto (the menu doe not tell you which one as its a alternative to the meat option) I assumed vegetable but it was mushroom, it tasted more like warm water with some rice and a few soggy mushrooms. Thankfully I ordered garlic bread on the side! My friend had the thai fish cakes and was not impressed either.
What annoys me most is places assume that if you vegetarian you like goats cheese and mushrooms two strong flavours which I hate!!

1  Thank BB M

Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife and I eat out nearly every day. We decided to Try this pub/restaurant after not being for some time because of a less than pleasant previous experience. On arrival we went into the restaurant and sat down. No-one came so I went to the bar. Voices were coming from a back room (kitchen?) and then the door opened, someone looked out, said nothing and went back in. I waited a little longer and then we left!

2  Thank mekon0
Reviewed 26 April 2014

this pub was an excellent last minute find in Detling village for a very welcomed evening meal. The staff were friendly and the food was very good

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Went there for a celebratory dinner with family. Asked for a 7.30 sitting but said it would have to be 7.45. This was ok to us as we thought they would be busy.
On arriving at the pub we were met with an unwelcoming staff and stares from locals having a drink.
We were shown to our table to be astounded by the fact that there was only one other couple eating, so not busy at all!
We had menus given to us and were told straight away that one item was off the menu. We chose our courses but asked that one of the dinners that came with mash be swapped for chips. We were told under no circumstances could that happen all dinners were a set price and cannot be swapped or changed. We had to buy a separate side of chips. I asked to see the manager but was told that that was the rules and he won't change .
We were served starters and then had to wait 45 mins for our mains, still only two other diners were there .
The food when it came was below average and not worth the wait. I will never be returning to this pub and can now see why there was an empty restuarant.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

The Cock Horse is a very family friendly orientated restaurant and the food was lovely. The staff are very friendly and the whole experience is excellent. Would recommend this lovely pub in Detling Will definately be going back. The waitress was very attentive and smiling the whole time! It is a child friendly place and very nice local people would recommend the Cock Horse.