“A Hilton Horror”

Hilton Maidstone
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Maidstone
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Probably cheap and tatty looking even when it opened, the shades of peach and pink in the bedrooms are not getting better with age: nor is the chipped enamel of the wash hand basins; or the faded prints littered liberally throughout this establishment.
The mattress was a little hard for my liking, but the sheets were clean, but there was no air conditioning in the room.
Bottles of mineral water were available in the rooms at the exorbitant price of £3.75 which demonstrates that Hilton does not really want to look after it's customers, but fleece them for every penny: this is further evidenced by charges for wifi.
Breakfast was good, plenty of fruit and lovely bacon, and it must be said that the lunch buffet. was very tasty,
It was also completely non smoking, so not all bad.

Room Tip: Courtyard facing rooms are quieter
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank mottyandfluff
LeonardoGagliano, General Manager at Hilton Maidstone, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

Dear reviewer,
Thank you for your constructive feedback. I am happy to read there were things that you enjoyed during your stay, however sorry for not having met your expectations fully, thank you for taking the time to let us know. We are constantly maintaining and upgrading and have only in the past three months: replaced 30 of those basins you referred to, installed 90 new beds and mattresses, repainted all public areas, installed new tables and carpet in the restaurant and installed new shower rods and curtains in 90 of our rooms.
Once again please accept my apologies for not having meet your expectations, I am sure we can do so next time you give us the pleasure of welcoming you back, we look forward to it.

Reviewed 15 May 2012

Stayed overnight and had a double bedded double room that was enormous. Reception staff were very helpful and friendly. Good value for what I got. Because it was a room for up to four people it had four of everything. Four huge bathtowells, four biscuits etc!

Room Tip: Don't get room 236 if you want a nice view of the courtyard gardens as it only had a half windom...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
LeonardoGagliano, General Manager at Hilton Maidstone, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Dear Bacicz,
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with the readers of this website. I am happy to read you had a good stay and I am sure our team will be glad to hear about your compliments.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

Good value, good breakfast and a comfy bed. Only downside is the rooms not being air conditioned. Would recommend and stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012

Dear Headley,
Thank you for your review, I am glad to read that you had a good stay and will be back, we look forward to it.

Reviewed 12 May 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife as never stayed at a Hilton hotel
Was going to have a splash in the pool but no one was there to help with where to go in pool area
We asked for champagne to be in the room on arrival, it wasn't there
We went for a few drinks and a meal
The sofa where I sat had a big hole I could put my whole hand in
The triffle dessert wasn't replaced for 15 minutes
I wouldn't stay there again, it's a shame as it just wasn't the Hilton experience I was hoping for.

• Stayed: September 2011

Dear br33zy,
I am really sorry to read your review but there isn’t enough detail in it for me to investigate or comment further. It is hard to believe that we are talking about the same hotel I work and those reviewers on this same page stayed. Therefore I would be most grateful if you could contact us to provide further information about your stay.

Reviewed 10 May 2012

We stayed here for one night for a family party locally. We have stayed here previously but it has been a few years. The hotel has not changed very much in decor but remains clean & fresh. And they were updating the paintwork when we arrived!

The reception staff, particularly Josephine were lovely & very helpful making sure everything was to our liking.

Josephine enthused that our rooms were "lovely" and she was right. We had a double, double room with an adjoining double which were more than adequate for our needs. The bathroom was great with plenty of space & spotlessly clean. One downside was the lack of fridge as this would have been useful for storing milk & water. There was quite a large gap under the room door so noise from the corridor was easily heard.

My daughter & her boyfriend had a swim in the pool which they enjoyed & we particularly liked the fact that towels are provided as you are then not taking soggy towels home in your luggage!!

Breakfast was lush although at the time we went down it was busy as it was a sunday morning with a wedding held the previous night. My mother was particularly enamoured by the waffle maker which I think is unique to Hilton hotels, they were delicious & it was nice to try something different for breakfast. The only criticism of breakfast is that with the high demand the orange juice was not replenished.

All in all we loved our short break at the Hilton Maidstone & will hopefully be returning in the future.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Tracey,
Good to read you had a fulfilling stay, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travellers, also thank you for the high scores and praises. This is the type of experience we strive to provide to all of our guests!

Reviewed 7 May 2012

We had our wedding reception at the Hilton Maidstone on 3/5/12. From start to finish it was perfect in every way.Paula Seager was our contact at the Hotel, and she arranged everything, with military precision.We had several guests staying on either the night before, or the night of the Wedding.......they all commented on the quality of the service and of the rooms...Our reception was lovely.....the food was excellent and again, the service was exceptional.........the Evening Buffetwas, in the words of one of our guests 'phenominal'.Everything we asked for.....we got....nothing was too much trouble..........I was so pleased with the entire day.I very strongly recommend anyone considering this venue for their wedding..........GO AND BOOK IT, you ill not regret it.
I would particularly like to pick out OLIVER and NINA for a special mention, they looked after us so well, and they were good fun as well......which is always a good sign......it made the whole day, RELAXING' and took away any pre wedding day stress.

1ST CLASS HOTEL ,SERVICE AND STAFF

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank darrylturl

Dear Darrylturl,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with the readers of this website and indeed for recommending us. It is a real pleasure to read that such a unique occasion was as special as it should. I am sure the team will be as delighted as I am with your review when I shared it with them in our next meeting!

Reviewed 6 May 2012

I took my wife here for a birthday treat and had a deluxe king room on the ground floor. On entering the Hotel and having a look around it is actually fairly basic and 'sterile'. The reception were overworked with wedding parties arriving and also a deluge of guests coming back wanting a room change away from the wedding parties which made me feel I had made a mistake in choosing the hotel. I have to say the staff on reception were fabulous and very accomodating in dealing with all the requests. We were satisfied with the room but again it just didn't have the wow factor you would expect from a £140 per night Hilton. The TV picture was 'snowy' and again the feeling was pretty bland and disappointing. We unpacked and went to the bar for a drink to take a look at what was on offer for an evening meal. They offer a sit down more formal evening arrangement in their restaurant or you can have a more informal affair in the bar. Be warned the bar prices are outrageous and unless money is no object will put you off settling into a few drinks and relaxing. We found the restaurant not interesting in terms of a friendly and welcoming venue although the food offering seemed good. In the end we took a short walk to the nearby pub and had an excellent evening and I highly recommend this option.

Overall this Hotel is simply OK and no more. It has no character and is more of the airport type hotel and offering.

I would suggest they have a seperate check in for wedding guests instead of blocking up the desk for everyone else and also supply more than one of those conveyor toasters that deliver your toast either cremated or raw owing to the sheer numbers of people waiting for their toast off the one and only machine. On the subject of breakfast everything was very good and a good choice but for goodness sake why do Hotels of this calibre serve tinned mushrooms??!! They have smoked salmon in the continental section so I toasted a couple of slices (eventually!!) and had scrambled eggs from the traditional breakfast section with the smoked salmon...excellent and worth remembering if you go.

To summise a clean and well situated hotel with good staff but very plain and lacking the luxury feel about it.

Be careful at weekends for the wedding parties as we had the usual drunk 2am brigade yelling and running down the corridors outside the room with one darling knocking on our door as we had the do not disturb sign out and they thought it would be hilarious to wake us up. Maybe putting wedding guests in one area and non wedding guests in another would be a sensible and simple solution?

Room Tip: Just ask for a quiet one away from the health suite corridor of rooms they offer.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear LawMan,

Thank you for your constructive feedback, I am happy to read that you found our team “fabulous” and enjoyed the breakfast options; by the way the second toaster is already installed as per your suggestions. However I am sorry that not everything was to your liking, although I would prefer to read that you were fully satisfied, it is always important to hear what else was expected from us and for that I am grateful to you for taking the time to make such a comprehensive range of suggestions of services and facilities we could modify or implement.

Nevertheless, for the sake of accuracy of reference to other reader of this site, I would like to add that we do have prices to all budgets, including several promotional options of meals including drink for £10.95. We also already do our best to segregate wedding groups as you suggested, I am truly sorry for the inconsiderate people who disturbed you, my apologies.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the Hilton Maidstone, I am confident that we can change your perception and provide you with a great customer experience.

Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maidstone
Tudor Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel
Travelodge Maidstone Central
Travelodge Maidstone Central
#11 of 17 in Maidstone

Been to Hilton Maidstone? Share your experiences!