“Weekend Break”

Hilton Maidstone
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Maidstone
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Hotel was great, rooms clean & spacious. Dinner & breakfast were buffet style but tasted good. Spa facilities were good and very quiet. Only downside was noisy guests getting in at 1am. Will use this place again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
LeonardoGagliano, General Manager at Hilton Maidstone, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Chris,
Thank you for your review I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and indeed that you will be back. I am sorry you were inconvenienced by noise from other guests. For future reference please let the front office team know of any issues and they will deal with that immediately.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Maidstone.
Hotel General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,677)

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Just passing through the area on a Bank Holiday Monday. The staff were all very friendly and accommodating. The rooms were clean but a bit dated and very dark which made reading difficult. Halls can be noisy as the room doors need new closers. They have a tendency to slam if you let them.
Having had a large lunch, we went to the bar and ordered pub grub which was excellent and service was fast. Prices were just above normal. The breakfast buffet in the morning was quite good.
Certainly not the best Hilton but certainly is a good value.

Room Tip: There is no lift. So if you have much luggage request a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
LeonardoGagliano, General Manager at Hilton Maidstone, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear reviewer,
Thank you for your review and feedback. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and found it to be good value, nevertheless please accept my apologies for not having met fully your expectations. I am sorry that our décor is not to your taste, I can assure you we are constantly investing and upgrading, just last week we installed new lighting in all of our 50 deluxe rooms, which I apologise were not there in time for your stay. I can also confirm that our door closers are in good order, however there is a downside to guarantee our guests safety and close thoroughly, they might be noisy at times, I am sorry that it has inconvenienced you. I am glad you found the our breakfast good and since I am sure it is fully compliant with Hilton standards, I would need more details about what you believed was missing, I am sorry you left with this impression regardless.
We look forward to welcoming you back again. I am sure we can provide you with a world class stay that will improve your opinion about the Hilton Maidstone even further.
Hotel General Manger

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel as an overnight stay before a day trip to France. On check in we were asked would we like to book a table for a 3 course buffet style evening meal. Seeing as we hadn't made plans for the evening meal we decided to take this offer. Wish we really hadn't!
When we arrived at the restaurant we were shown to our table and given the menu on tatty pieces of paper & nothing like previous Hilton buffets. At a glance I was very disappointed with the menu as there was only one thing that I would eat at a push, but I could eat potatoes/rice etc with cold meats. The starters consisted of carrot & orange soup and hors d'oeuvres(salad and cold meats) when we went to the starter station to be greeted by a very mixed selection of food! Nothing was labelled so you didn't really know what you were eating(also not great if you have allergies) we were quite surprised to see that the cold meats were in fact chicken. However this chicken was/looked like it was trying to be disguised as something it wasn't it was basically 4 slices of processed chicken stacked one on top of the other and then cut in to small cubes to make it look like it was actually chicken chunks. That's ok we can have some salad! The lettuce leafs were left uncut and as a result was hard to put on the plate as they were too big. The rest of the selections didn't look that appetising and wouldn't like to guess what they were. The serving spoons/utensils were table forks(have you tried picking up pickled onions, olives with a table fork without stabbing it?)
I thought that's ok I can fill up on bread rolls, however I was again wrong as they resembled cricket balls, and it was like Russian roulette with what you picked up as they was a few children running around picking up rolls taking them back to the tables to then replace them back with the others a couple of minutes later.
On to the main course, again nothing was labeled so had to try and marry up what was on the menu with what was in the pots. The selection of veg/extras to go with the main dish was somewhat indifferent with only rice and new potatoes seeming normal. Also the only thing that I would eat had run out and I had to wait for some more to be brought out! The main courses were extremely tasteless and bland with the sauces that the food were cooked in resembling water. Being complimentary at best this was like a school dinner or rest home quality food.
We have stayed in many hiltons all over the world and this restaurant is by far the worst we have ever encountered, and in our opinion is a disgrace to the hilton name.
The waiting staff were very helpful and I felt a bit sorry for them having to work and be the face to the slop that was being served. The only other thing is I think there should be signs up about children running around and picking up the food and putting it back. Admittedly the parents should have been more vigilant and stopped them but not everyone worries about the behaviour of their children when eating(I have working in the catering trade for many years and have experienced all kinds of behaviours)
Perhaps I am being over critical of this restaurant, but then I am really struggling to have ever attempted to eat a meal as terrible as this.
The room was nice and big and was the real benefit for us staying here. The staff were very helpful and polite. I made use of the health club facilities and again I couldn't fault these and gave me a chance to unwind after the drive down.
Overall I would recommend staying at this hotel(I would stay here again) just don't eat in the restaurant as it really is bad.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
LeonardoGagliano, General Manager at Hilton Maidstone, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Dan,

Thank you for your constructive feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed the room and found the team friendly and helpful, however I am disappointed to read about your dinner experience. You are right that the buffet should be labelled and correct serving cutlery should be in place; please accept my apologies and thank you for bringing that to my attention, I ensure you that action has been taken to address the reasons for these shortfalls in basic standards.

I also assure you that all of your comments have been discussed with the Food and Beverage manager as well as the Head Chef. Our food offering is regularly reviewed and customers’ feedback is the best way of guiding us, thank you once again for taking the time to let us know your opinion, however I am sorry that our food offering did not meet your expectations in that occasion.

I do hope that the positives during your stay will bring you back to our hotel, I am sure that if we have another chance, we will be able to restore your faith on the whole of the Hilton Maidstone hospitality. We look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel with family as part of a wedding party, staying in a inter-connecting family room, which was clean and tidy, but a little tired and in need of a freshen up.

The main restaurant was quite small, it did offer two menu choices, both were a bit pricey for what was offered, service was slow and unorganised, one waitress managed to drop three different things during our meal. The staff had a bit of trouble spliting a food bill of eighteen between two tables.

Breakfast was a help yourself affiar which is a bit disappointing considering other Hilton stays have made to order station, this one didn't even offer cooked mushrooms or tomatos.

The bed in our room was quite firm and the wooden base which creaked and when you turned over the whole bed rocked from side to side, the door and walls were thin and you can hear every sound in the hallway including slamming doors, if you have a room with a view of the court yard you can hear all the conversastions even with the windows closed.

The decor was rather plain but they seem to like mirrors, there was two mirrors in the room and two in the bathroom which is actually inside the bath unit so you can check out your reflection while in the bathtub or while sitting on the loo.

The staircase banisters leading to the first floor were sticky on both days and the tables in the restaurant were sticky and in need of a deep clean.

The hotel is location near the motorway so the environment around the hotel is quite noisy.The hotel stay includes use of the pool which looks nice but didn't use. Overall the general hotel is nice and has what you may need, but seems more like a business hotel then a family hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room either court yard or car park veiw. Also there is no lift so if you have diffic...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear David,

Thank you for your review and constructive feedback. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. All of your comments about the restaurant were discussed with the Head Chef as well as the Food and Beverage manager for their investigation and action, however we already do cook breakfast to order, including mushrooms and tomatoes, as well as any type of egg and other choices to the taste of our guests. We are taking steps to make it clearer to our guests but I am sorry that it was not clear to you during your stay, my apologies.

Your comments about the stairs’ banister have been brought to the attention of our Head Housekeeper for checking procedures to be reviewed and re-enforced, thank you for bringing that to my attention and please accept my apologies for the shortfall during your stay. Please note that the stickiness of the restaurant tables was caused by chemical reaction between the varnishing and cleaning products, therefore have nothing to do with cleanliness and is currently in the process of being addressed, my apologies that this has caused you the wrong impression.

I am also sorry that our bedrooms decor was not to your taste, although the hotel is over 20 years old and some features are in keeping with the original design, we do invest and upgrade our hotel constantly, only last week we received 50 new lamps for our deluxe rooms, all of our beds are being fitted with super topers, all of our shower heads and toilet seats are brand new, 40 bathroom basins are being restored and that is without mention more than £300K in investments made in various other areas and facilities of the hotel in the past 12 months.

I hope you will give us another chance next time you are in the area; I am sure from the majority of our guests’ feedback that we can provide world class hospitality.

We look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We travelled to Maidstone to help our Daughter move house! The Hilton was perfectly located....just off the M20 and on the outskirts of the Town. Booking our one-night stay at short notice, via the Internet was quick and easy. We paid an extra £15 upgrade for a larger room with garden view. The room was large, comfortable and clean and very quiet. There was no individually controlled air-conditioning.....a large free-standing fan was available for hot days/nights. We found the large-sized bed incredibly uncomfortable....mattress too hard and pillows too soft.....my Wife and I had a very poor night's sleep! My Wife was not happy to find the bath/shower control "seized" on shower setting.......so had to fill her bath by running the shower, which took some time! Unusually the loo paper was the poorest quality we have come across for some time.......took us back to cheap holidays in Greece! I was also puzzled why a copy of our bill was thrust under our door in the middle of the night......surely Reception at check-out would have been more appropriate!
Breakfast was in "Seasons" main restaurant......and was very good. Staff were friendly and efficient and there was a good range of hot/cold foods......perfect to start the day!
We had an evening drink in the Bar........not fantastic! Large glass of wine was £9 and the place was so brightly lit we felt almost "on stage" under the spotlight! It was almost deserted and lacked any atmosphere.
There is a Health Club with gym and pool, which we didn't use as we were "on a mission" helping our Daughter's house move!
Overall our stay was "a bit disappointing".....it was a very convenient place for our one-night stop-over, but the Hotel felt rather "tired and dated".......perhaps future improvements are planned?

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Ian,

Thank you for your constructive feedback. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations fully. It is disappointing that you found our brand new mattresses too hard, since it seems not to suit everyone’s taste we have just started last week to fit supper toppers on our deluxe rooms mattresses and will have every room in the hotel fitted with them by the end of August.

I am sorry that the pillows where not to your wife and yours taste either, we do have alternative types of pillows, it is not clear from your review if this was not offered or if your dissatisfaction was not mentioned to our team. My apologies for the issue with the shower control as well, once again it is not clear from your review if you brought it to the hotel team attention, I am sure they would have tried and fixed it during your stay.

The express check out drop is meant to be more convenient for our guests, the objective is that if you are happy with the bill, you can just sign it and drop in the express checkout box at the reception, without going through other checkout procedures. I am sorry this was not clear and inconvenienced you.

I hope you daughter’s move went well and you will give us another chance next time you are in the area visiting her; I am sure from the majority of our guests’ feedback that we can provide world class hospitality.

We look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Hilton hotel in maidstone and I can honestly say It felt like home to me. The rooms were warm, quiet and up to standard. The breakfast in the morning was brilliant,
Definitely filled a hole! Thankyou Elaine who had a lovely kind welcoming voice and made us feel like royalty! But I would also like to give a big thank you to Tanith from the Food and Beverage for making my experience at the hotel a joy! She would have long conversations with me at the bar like a friend then a typical customer, we laughed and recommend places to me and even on her break she would sit with me and tell me the best places to go out in maidstone and write up directions. She was truely a star and made my stay 10 out of 10 I was sad to return home and will deffinetly be visiting some time in the near future.

Would highly recommend this place, it's not always about the look but about the customer service!

Jane cole
Northern Hampshire

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Jane,
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience and recommend the Hilton Maidstone. I am sure the team will be as delighted as I am to read your review, as this is what our team and I strive to provide to every one of our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit Kent.
Hotel General Manger

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We had our Wedding at this Hilton Hotel in April 2014 and I could not fault the service or food, I would say that some of the rooms are in need of a update. but overall we had no complaints apart from the new car parking charge system which was installed after we booked our wedding, There are no signs about to let people know that if they have used the hotel or been to a function then they do not need to pay for parking, just validate their ticket at reception, unfortunately for some of my reception guests this was not clear and although I did try to remember to tell my guests as they left, I think a few of them did pay for parking when they shouldn't have. I feel this issue needs addressing at the Hotel and I will be contacting them directly to ask about this.

Room Tip: Don't upgrade the rooms are not worth it. unless you get a great deal
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Charlie,

Thank you for your review, I am glad that you found our hotel good value but disappointed that the car park system, installed to guarantee free parking spaces for our guests against tresspassers, was misunderstood. There is a sign stating parking is for free for hotel users next to the machine that dispenses the tickets, I am sorry it was overlooked and cause inconvenience to some of your guests.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Hilton Maidstone.

Hotel General Mangers

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maidstone
Tudor Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in Thurnham
Holiday Inn Maidstone - Sevenoaks
Premier Inn Maidstone Town Centre Hotel
Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel

Been to Hilton Maidstone? Share your experiences!