“Stay at the Stable”

Ranked #2 of 27 Maidstone B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, CA
“Stay at the Stable”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Spent one night at the Stable Courtyard B&B in Leeds Castle. Very easy to find the back entrance where you enter and park right next to Reception. I arrived about 10:30am and even though I couldn't check into my room until 2pm, I could leave my car there and go explore the castle and grounds. Likewise the next morning after I checked out I was welcome to leave my car there and continue to enjoy the area until they closed if I so desired. Really makes you feel special. And everyone that I dealt with was very nice and helpful. Room was a short distance from the parking lot and is an average hotel room, but it had a fabulous view of the Great Water. I believe it was #11, upstairs on the end. I had made the reservation at the last minute and couldn't believe how lucky I was to get this room.

The only problem was it was the first nice weather day of the half term so the place was full of screaming kids and strollers. It was more like Disneyland. Unbelievably mobbed. They have a big play area there called the Knight's Realm and a Maze and Grotto nearby, so if you have children it must be a wonderful place to visit. What really surprised me though, was that many children brought their scooters or bikes or skateboards and were zooming around. I'm surprised the castle allows this. Seems a little dangerous. Where my room was it was necessary to go through a narrow walkway in the middle of the stable building. Unfortunately this was also the path to the Knight's Realm play area, so by 2pm I had to get in a line and wait in order to go through. Like I said, shades of Disneyland. Amazingly however, I couldn't hear the screaming in my room, so they are evidently well-insulated, or I am more deaf than I realize.

The castle itself is very interesting to go through. The grounds are beautiful and the moat and lake full of ducks, geese and swans. The black swan is the symbol of Leeds Castle. I also recommend punting on the moat as it is so quiet and calm out there. But then I was the only one interested, so had the punt all to myself, with the exception of the punter, that is. Might be a different experience with a full punt.

By the time the last customers left it was almost dark, so didn't do much exploring that evening. But I was up early to enjoy the place before the next onslaught. Surprisingly I was the only one out there. Probably because it had turned very cold the night before and there was frost on everything. But it was so pretty. I imagine the best time to do this would be May or September when you have more light at either end of the day to enjoy the specialness of having it all to yourself, and the other few guests, of course.

The price was very reasonable: £90. I paid a little more than that for a bare bones Holiday Express room that was definitely not surrounded by a castle and lovely grounds. So I highly recommend staying at Leeds Castle. And there are other accommodations there besides the stable rooms. Something to look into.

Room Tip: I believe my room was #11, upstairs on the end. Great view out over the lake, not overlooking the sn...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Our tour group stayed 1 night at Leeds Castle (actually in the Castle) with Butler service dinner that night. What a wonderful opportunity we had to be able to experience Leeds Castle and the fine grounds. My bedroom had a moat and I was in the Cream Room. The staff were fantastic and very helpful and they made our stay terrific and one my husband and I will never forget. Thankyou all at Leeds Castle for making our stay wonderful. Hope to return one day.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for an anniversary and was very pleased with stay. The room was a bit small as so e have said, but you have to remember these are stable lodges, not purpose built hotel rooms. Check in was polite, and welcoming and we were especially pleased to have full access tot he castle especially after visitors had left, which made us feel very special. Breakfast was basic served in a separate building, could have been difficult if weather wasn't nice. Overall you are paying for location rather than service and room but we were happy.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

we enjoyed our overnight stay at Leeds castle. Plenty to see and lots of walking...which was helpful after lunch and afternoon tea. Our room had two lovely views...from the rear we saw the castle in all it's glory (as well as the golf course) and from the front was the stable courtyard.
We took a punt around the moat which was informative and enjoyed walking around the castle afterwards (having learnt a bit more of the history whilst being taken around on the punt).
Staying for the evening meant we got to enjoy the grounds all evening (light permitting) and following a lovely dinner in the Fairfax restaurant and few drinks in the small bar area (costa coffee area by day)...went to bed and had a good nights sleep.
Breakfast was a very enjoyable and set us up for the day. The only downside to our stay was that had we booked it for the summer months we would have had more evening light to be able to stroll the grounds more.

1 Thank Juliet S
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Had a lovely stay at leeds castle... Great value for money! Room was a little smaller than expected but very clean and to a high standard ... The scenery was lovely and you can go for great walks around the grounds. The evening meal was perfect and you can look out at the lovely view of the castle, however it was very hot in the restaurant ... The cooked breakfast was not that good and over cooked so should of gone for the cold buffet instead .. Would definitely go back for second visit though .... So relaxing

• Stayed October 2013
Risor, Norway
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Great accommodation... Child friendly.... Excellent location.. with views to castle... Well cooked breakfast... We loved it ! We will return !

The directions were a little brief.. hence we got lost in the surrounding lanes... and you can't drive right to the door... you must carry luggage about 200 yards...

Room Tip: Great Breakfast ! Lovely walks... Easy to get lost by arriving at the wrong gate.. because of the la...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Kent
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We stayed here for one night and were really impressed. Room very luxurious and comfortable, kept spotlessly clean. Nice touches L'occitane bath products and ipod docking station in the room. Felt very warm and homely. Only annoying thing was the bathroom door did not lock. Nice view from our room of the gardens.
Breakfast was lovely and great views from the restaurant of the castle. We had our evening meal at the park gate inn nearby (recommended at reception) which was lovely!
Very peaceful walk around the grounds before everybody else which was great. Would love to stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maidstone
Tudor Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#7 of 14 in Maidstone
Eastwell Manor
Eastwell Manor
#1 of 1 in Boughton Lees

Been to Leeds Castle Stable Courtyard Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!