“Shameful”

Village Hotel Maidstone
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Maidstone
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Found this for visiting family to stay in. They got good deal, BUT 1am noise of toilet continuously flowing and NO PHONE in room. Not fixed till next day and no compensation offered or forthcoming when asked for.
Pool not v.warm.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank likkl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,993)

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Check that the receptionist tells you the right time for breakfast. Stayed for one night for a local wedding. We were told breakfast finished at 10.30 so arrived for breakfast at 9.40 and was told breakfast finished at 9.30. Not best pleased.

Also don't understand why they charge for early check in when they won't guarantee it in advance (then I would understand a charge). The charge is for nothing as the room is already available, a rip off.

Bed was not comfortable.

All in all I would stay somewhere else if you are thinking of this hotel. Better hotels for a lot less money.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in a few rooms as I am staying here for 6 months with work and in every room the toilets are continuously flowing. This can be a lot or a little but it makes a lot of noise! Really annoying. Unable to fix this though, although sometimes if you flush a few times it will fix itself till the next time.
Rooms are a good size, wifi is acceptable. Pub and restaurant also acceptable. Staff are okay, but not as friendly as you would expect from a hotel at this price.
Hopefully my review will help anyone staying to remember to shut the bathroom door before sleep!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Shaunmay8831
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We book a night away in a hotel every couple of months for a break and to use spa facilities so decided to try The Village after seeing the 29 pounds for a room w/ breakfast + 29 pounds for 3 course meal deal for two and we're so glad we did! The check in was a good start, the receptionist was the perfect blend of professionalism and friendliness and when we realised our room was above the bar and I asked if we could have another room, she sorted it straight away for us. The room was great (and I slept well). In the evening we ate at The Verve restaurant as part of the deal, which I have done a separate review for as it warrants it; it was really excellent on both the food and service side. The whole experience was brilliant; it was such good value and all the staff were helpful and friendly and it was a lovely break. Needless to say, we'll be back!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank kentcouple66
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My partner and I took my my Mum and step-father here for a weekend birthday break. My mum being a keen swimmer we felt the large pool would be of great benefit. And it was...

The leisure facilities here are exemplary. An incredibly large gymnasium that is very well equipped, a full size swimming pool that is thoughtfully roped off to serve both 'serious' swimmers and casual swimmers/kids. The steam room and sauna were clean and functioning and the jacuzzi's offered additional relaxation.

The lady on reception of the leisure complex on the Saturday afternoon/evening was a real asset to DeVere - very friendly but not over the top and made each and every customer feel welcomed and valued.

The rooms were clean but very hot. in fact the entire hotel was too warm. Fans were supplied in the rooms - there is no air conditioning in the hotel.

We did not eat in the restaurant in the evening and so unable to comment. However the breakfast was good. Although they run out of black pudding before 9am on a Sunday morning which I found bizarre. Many people unhappy with that.

We had a drink in the bar before going out to eat. The table was filthy. We asked if they would come and wipe it down - 'of course' was the response. We went out to eat and had a night cap in the bar upon return to the hotel. The same table had STILL not been cleaned 4hours later. Absolutely no excuse whatsoever for that.

Staff on reception were rude. If they had been trained in customer care then they had forgotten everything. We were not happy at all with the check-in or check-out processes. (e.g. not being directed to room / not being asked if we had a good stay / very little eye contact / talking amongst themselves instead of serving customers).

There was a wedding or wedding party taking up the majority of the bar in the evening. Whether trouble was expected or not I don't know but the hotel had 2 or 3 security guards or bouncers on the front desk, by the front door and the bar. These guys were actually laughable - and we did laugh. They clearly thought they were some kind of of gangster troop but the intimidating looks they were giving to guests were simply unacceptable. If bouncers are needed in a place like this then they should be professional ones who control situations that get out of hand. Not idiots who stand on the front desk practising audition techniques for the next Pulp Fiction movie. Ridiculous and unnecessary.

On the whole, the hotel is strategically placed for Maidstone and the M20 / Dover / Folkestone stopover etc. The rooms are okay, the breakfast is okay. The leisure facilities are very good. The majority of staff need urgent training and need to understand that, ultimately, its the customers that pay their wages.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paul W
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed here back in March and went back at the end of September for three night. We enjoyed our stay once again but we do not like the new uniforms that all the staff are wearing. The staff are all very friendly but the jeans and T shirts that the restaurant staff are wearing makes them look like your new best friend, and the young ladies at reception with a pink blouse on does not give them the look of a receptionist, I think that the new uniforms convey the wrong image, and some of the staff are just not the right age or shape to get away with jeans and T shirts. I hope when I go back, as I will return because I like the hotel and its location that maybe the manager will reconsider and revert back to a proper dress code for a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room away from M20
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jacandhow
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My partner and I spent Monday to Friday here. It was to be our base to tour the south east of the country from.
The hotel was constantly busy, which is good for business, but made it seem like you couldn’t relax anywhere, other than in your room. The leisure facilities seemed very good, although we only used the pool, once, and even then, we had to get out when the fire alarm went off. Because the leisure facilities attracted a lot of non residential guests, they were in and out all day and night, and once suitably knackered from a workout, just abandoned themselves in either the Starbucks café, or the nearby seats outside the restaurant. This meant staying guests were stuck for somewhere to sit down for a bit of peace and quiet. (I suppose the name of the hotel, “Urban Village” was the clue here!!).

Neither of us found the menu particularly appetising in the restaurant, so we never ate there. We did eat once in the Victory bar which was ok. Not a great deal of choice, but some nice real ales, which us northerners like!! This bar was always packed, and although we tried, we couldn’t get seats to eat there.
The other nights we just ate out. All the local stuff is just franchised food, so not a lot of choice.

Room was ok. We were on the 2nd floor, room 232, which is at the far side of the hotel. View of trees, but that didn’t bother us one jot. Weather was sunny and then light rain, on and off for the 5 days, so that didn’t affect the temperature of our room too much. Bit of noise from crying kids, but nothing to get upset about. Room was tidy, but the bathroom needed a lick of paint, plenty of stains showing through. No “pinchable” toiletries. You have to have an Upper Deck room for those, so we just had the wall dispensers with foam in!!

The bed was very comfortable, and we always had a good nights sleep. TV channels were limited though.

Had a few coffees/cakes in starbucks which were nice. Staff were very helpful there.

Breakfast. Cooked or continental, you take your choice. Plenty of food available, even coming down just before 9am. Service was very good, and the staff were very helpful and polite. This brings me to an observation that I couldn’t quite get my head round. The breakfast staff were all dressed in corporate uniforms………..different coloured T shirts and jeans !! I thought it was just me being a boring old fart, but even my missus commented on their appearance, and how odd it looked. Very practical no doubt, but odd !!

We would go back there. Dead easy to get to. Next to main arterial routes. Thumbs up from me. Nice neck of the woods.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple