“Value for money”

Village Hotel Maidstone
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Maidstone
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We've stayed here several times. This time we were taking advantage of a three night deal. We stayed in a standard room on the 2nd floor. The room had everything we needed, including free wi-fi. The bed was comfortable and the whole place was kept clean and tidy throughout our stay.

Having stayed in another Maidstone hotel recently, I am pleased to say that at The Village, we had no problem sleeping and rooms seem to be better insulated against noise than elsewhere. The only negative was that we found it quite warm in the room and would have liked to have been able to regulate the air conditioning somehow.

The place was very busy and we stayed Thursday to Sunday so there were the usual groups of revellers, none of which were a problem. Security staff were visible and friendly which gave a sense that this hotel does care about the welfare of its customers too.

We did use the pool which we have found to be lacking in cleanliness of the changing rooms in the past but I am pleased to say that this time there were no complaints.

Overall, a very good stay in a purpose built, affordable hotel. We will be back.

Room Tip: If staying at the weekend, ask for a room away from any large groups!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,884)

Reviewed 19 April 2014

After reading some quite negative reviews about this hotel, we were a bit concerned. We asked for and got a "quiet room" which we thought we would have after reading about people and their disturbed nights sleep.

Room was fine - clean and comfortable. A must for us is free wi-fi - that was appreciated. If management are reading this, can I say that I do like a newspaper in the morning but do not wish to pay £1 delivery charge on top of the newspaper cost - I am only on the 2nd floor of the hotel - £1 delivery fee is extremely excessive. On the other hand if you wanted the Independent this was free and delivered free so I opted for that - although it didn't turn up - staff said they don't deliver because people steal them from outside the bedrooms - but they would have taken my £1 delivery fee if I wanted any other paper - how does that work?

The pool and spa facilities were an added bonus. For a hotel of this size, we didn't expect such a large swimming pool and we enjoyed this and the sauna/steam room.

Breakfast was extremely good. Fresh fruit is always welcome. Full English was very good, plenty of choice with cereals and yogurt. Absolutely no complaints. However, I find it strange that the attentive staff who clean tables quickly and efficiently wear jeans as part of their uniform - seems a bit odd!

We enjoyed our stay and were not put off by whinging comments seen earlier. Excellent pool if you want to swim, comfortable room - didn't need to upgrade - and good breakfast.

Recommended.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back so we didn't overlook the car park - if you want peace go for that.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank crunchieH
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed 4 nights on half board basis whilst we explored the wonderful Castles and Gardens of Kent. Our room was modern and most comfortable. Breakfast was good (if only luke warm) and dinner was OK but quite basic, but this may have been due to our being in a large party group. The staff were all extremely pleasant and obliging so no complaints at all. The Spa, gym and swimming pool were lovely and I could use the facilities and take any classes for free. You could swim up to 10pm which was a bonus. The hotel also benefits from a Starbucks coffee shop used by locals for their morning cuppa and free wifi catchup before work. I would say it was more for business commuters but suited me as I was part of a group.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2014

How can I start. The hotel were informed by my office that I was working nights and therefore sleeping during the day.
On arrival at 20:30 the first evening I advised again of my night shifts and they assured me this was logged and that my room would be cleaned between 17:30 & 20:00 each night. So I stayed up late the first night to get into my next nights shift pattern. I got to sleep early hours only to be woken by maids trying to get in at 09:00. I complained when I got up later that day and was assured it won't happen again. So the next morning when I return after shift I find the room not serviced. So I complained again and they did the clean whilst I ate breakfast. I also got a written letter off house keeping manager apologising also stating my room would be serviced that night. So I work the next night and again come back to my room only to find it has not been serviced again. How can this happen twice and especially after the letter.
So 3 nights stay and roomed cleaned only once. Well done Village !!!! Isn't your whole business about service ?
Oh also forgot to mention - when people are planning to sleep all day, don't put them in the closest room to your function / conference suite. Woken up several times with foot traffic and noise outside my room.
Oh they did knock 50% off my bill on leaving that my company only benefits from.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Gary A
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Stayed at The Village on business with a few colleagues for one night.
Check - in was relatively painless, my room was on the first floor and I would say the room was about Travelodge standard, having all the basic furnishings, a reasonable bed and a fairly bare bathroom with soap only being available through wall dispensers. There was free wi - fi though and it was reasonably fast, which was a bonus.
We didn't have dinner in the hotel however we had a couple of drinks in the bar when we returned. The bar in general was very comparable to a roudy Weatherspoons (with very un - Weatherspoon prices - the drinks were very expensive) and was also very loud with Sky Sports on the TV, definitely not a place to be if you want a quiet drink.
Before breakfast I went for a swim and the pool was very good! My colleague used the gym and also commented that it was also surprisingly good. Additionally, breakfast was also of good quality with a good choice of cooked and continental dishes.
Overall I would suggest this hotel is ok for a maximum of a couple of nights however no more. For a business user it is adequate however is certainly nothing special.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This hotel is many things to many people. Conference centre, local Starbucks, Gym, restaurant......I'm reviewing it for why I stayed there. Simply to sleep.

It's my second visit and both times I've paid the extra £20 for 'upper deck'. There are lots of extras with this facility but I just pay to guarantee a wonderfully comfortable bed.

The rooms are no different, the size is okay, it's really a pretty box standard Premier Inn style hotel with slightly bigger rooms.

But if you need a good nights sleep, either before or after the tunnel (just 20 mins away), then here you can literally guarantee it. Maybe a little expensive for a single but worth it for 2 sharing.

It does help that you can get your Starbucks favourite in the morning too - they open at 06.30

Service was pleasant, effective, informative and fast...the hotel that is not Sbux.

Room Tip: pay the extra £20 for upper deck.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We foung this hotel very adequate for what we paid. The spa was great with all facilities. We ate in the bar and foung the food reasonable and tasty (didn't go for the "Man vs Burger" but was tempted). We would stay there again

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family