“Young inexperienced staff”

Village Hotel Maidstone
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Maidstone
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed here for one night on a Friday hideaway deal, which includes dinner bed and breakfast. We asked at reception if we would need to book a table for dinner, but were told it was very quiet and there was no need. When we went to the more that half empty dining area an hour later, we were told there was at least a 30 - 40 minute wait as they had a couple of large bookings made. We were directed to the conveniently placed bar next door for a drink. We came back to a less than half full dining area. Nice ploy to get you to spend money in the bar. If you have booked the 3 course dinner with the offer, just be aware that the menu is far more limited and there is less choice than on the general menu.
The staff were very young, and I didn't get the sense that they knew what they were doing.
The food was good and we didn't have to wait long to be served, although the young lad clearing the tables seemed keen to finish his shift as he was hanging around the tables ready to grab your plate the minute you finished your meal.
The bedroom was clean, it had a hairdryer, iron and ironing board and trouser press and a fair sized TV. The channels are limited on the television, but you get free Wi-Fi.
There is a Starbucks in the foyer which was busy when we arrived, and as there is seating outside, if you have a bedroom above the foyer area, the noise can get quite loud in the evening.
The breakfast was a self service buffet and was very well stocked.
A comfortable night, good for a stopover, nothing special though.

Room Tip: Get a room that does not face the car park as the noise on the patio outside the bar and Starbucks c...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank danceswithdaffodils
villagemaidstone, General Manager at Village Hotel Maidstone, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Laurabaker04,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay.I have discussed your dining experience with our Restaurant Manager to both improve our booking process and address the training requirements needed.I am pleased to hear that the food was good and would mention that we launch new menus next week to improve variety.
We are just off the M20 and M2 and Starbucks can get very busy, I am sorry about the noise but we do have rooms at the rear of the hotel which are a little quieter and reception are happy to allocate on request.

Thank you for your positive feedback about the rest of your stay and hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Veronica Kingham

Write a ReviewReviews (1,879)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My brother arrived here from Derby for my nephew and his partner´s Civil Partnership Ceremony which was to be at Allington Castle. We arrived Thursday 22nd May and left on Sunday 25th May. My room and bathroom were spotless. I was given a room for the disabled as I have difficulty walking. It was on the first floor not too far from the lift. The staff as we checked in were efficient and courteous. The breakfast choice was very good and included all kinds of cereal, a fry up if you wanted one, which I had and it was delicious, pastries, fruit and several kinds of breads. Fruit juice. Tea and coffee were served at the table, no machines to deal with.
There is a Starbucks coffee shop in the foyer serving snacks as well as coffee.
The swimming pool and gymnasium are well looked after and are used by locals as well as guests.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank ArboleasBobby

Dear ArbdeasBobby,

Thank you for your kind review which I have shared with the team.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

stayed 1 night, never seen so many pick up trucks or individuals with short hair, tattoos, tiny skirts and foul mouthed language in my life! (and i was brought up in a rough area!!)

Staff = very friendly, but its a job, right?...food - nothing to write home about...room was clean and OK...lots of smokers right outside the reception door, no staff to help assist with bags etc..night time gets very noisy because of the pub (open till VERY LATE), rowdy guests/visitors/locals, slamming of doors, and the corridors 'echoing' any slight noise...appears the hotels issue was trying to cater for everyone in an Urban environment, not possible I'm afraid, ...
Now the good points: swimming pool good but not if ur kids cant swim (min depth 1.6m), so put on arm bands :) . lots of hen nights were there, it is a common stop over for people going to/from France..nice beefeater next door...no parking fee and next to the motorway..

Room Tip: Room away from front area facing the back....its quieter but your view will be of the A/C system and...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sjlondontown

Dear sjlondontown.

Thank you for your review from your recent stay at Village Maidstone.We are a popular local venue and on the night in question we were catering for several hen parties that were attending a tribute night in our main function suite.I can only apologise for the behaviours and bad language .I note your comments with regard to the smokers and as a result of similar feedback we have added a smoking shelter further down from the main entrance to encourage our smoking guests to move away from the entrance.

We take all feedback seriously and very much regret that we did not deliver a great Village experience this time.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Not the sort of place we'd normally choose but it was booked for us as part of a family event. My hear sank when we arrived at what looks like a Tesco but in fairness the staff were efficient and helpful and the room was spotlessly clean and perfectly adequate if all you are looking for is a place to lay your head. Breakfast was good. There was no mini bar or safe in the room. It all felt rather soulless and I thought a little expensive. Some of the clientele were noticeably downmarket. As I said adequate if all you want is a bed for the night. Look elsewhere however if you like a hotel with a bit more style.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The hotel was ok but you would probably get a better room for a cheaper price at the premiere in that is next door to the hotel. If you are only looking for a room dont stay here. If you plan to use the leasure centre then it is very good except for the poor quality gym equiptment. The rooms are ok but not worth the price. The walls in the hotel are very thin so you can here the slightest noises, and also the bars are very loud but when we askes the hotel staff to have the noised turned down they did nothing and we were kept up till about 03:00 then to be woken up 4 hours later by someones alarm from down the corridor. I was not impressed by the hotel and thought that it was extremely over priced for the quality that you are given. Stay at the premiere in.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed here on the way to France last Sunday using the complimentary night we received for the poor time we had at the Liverpool Urban Resort.
Nice welcome at reception on arrival, lady explained the meal times and facilities to us.

Had meal in the Victory Pub and it was way better than our previous offering, but still overpriced for average pub food.

Nice clean room and public areas, good parking and well located for motorway.

Breakfast was fine at least food was hot.

Overall visit was satisfactory but not special.

Room Tip: try for one at back as rooms are so hot you will want a window open and front rooms overlook a busy...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stay at the Village hotel for work only when my normal hotel is full. Well Monday night was a reminder not to leave it to the last minute next time.
The staff on check in were pleasant as normal, the rooms ok ,and dinner uninspiring, so far just over priced normal average chain hotel.
But this Monday the hotel had a large private party staying. When I and my 3 colleagues went to bed at 11.00 all was quiet. At 12.30 it all kicked off outside with rowdy very drunk smokers outside my window. I rang down at 01.00 to complain and then agin at 02.00 nothing seemed to change at 02.30 the corridors became a war zone with screaming, shouting and doors slamming until 03.30.
I heard normal guests asking for peace only to be threatened.
In the morning I complained at reception to the night porters who while being polite,had nothing to say but that they were sorry and that the Police had been called 3 times to the hotel that night and that this only happens at the weekends normally !!!!.
I asked for the General mangers number to make a complaint to. I have called over 10 times and she has never answered her phone.
With a large number of complaints and the Police been called 3 times I can not understand why they did not shut the bar and throw the disruptive guests out of the hotel.

A night not to remember.

Room Tip: Never have a room at the front.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business