“Great lunch!”

Ranked #2 of 330 Restaurants in Maidstone
Price range: US$7 - US$27
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Small independent cafe-bistro serving provincial French "peasant food" - This is not fine dining! Its loud, noisy and rustic.
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We went today for lunch on recommendation. The location is easy to find just at the back of the theatre in a wonderful old passageway flanked by interesting shops. The feel of this restaurant is decidedly French, I felt as though I had crossed the channel and was there.
The food and wine very, very good and the point is everything freshly prepared and cooked to order.
I had a wonderful goats cheese salad and all the ingredients tasted wonderful, a nice touch the warm cheese resting on warm tomatoes.
My partner had a steak salad, he asked for the steak blue and the chef came and checked if he would like a different cut at not extra charge because it would be better cooked this way, a nice touch and proved this chef knew his stuff.
In the event the steak arrived perfectly cooked. We followed lunch with pear frangipan tart and chocolate and raspberry brownies which my partner (who is adores brownies) declared the best he had ever tasted, anywhere in the world! We finished with coffee and that was excellent too. A definite recommendation, if you like authentic beautifully cooked and seasoned food. We are looking forward to our next visit.

There are newer reviews for Frederic Cafe Bistro

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Went with sister and mum on Friday 4th July food so good portions wonderful staff very friendly can't wait to go back

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I have lived in Maidstone all my life and ate at Frederic Cafe Bistro for the first time last night. Their food was, without doubt, the best I've ever eaten in Maidstone. The service and atmosphere too was first class.

1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Dined as a couple 2nd July 2014

On a Wednesday night in the centre of Maidstone, when the chain restaurants surrounding, each only have a handful of customers, Frederic Café Bistro was full and buzzing with a great atmosphere.

This is a real corner of France with a very good typical French menu.

The owner, Ulric, shows his cooking skills in an open kitchen, with everything cooked to order, and it is obvious that the ingredients are all fresh.

The meal we had could not be faulted, waiting staff were attentive and friendly, portions were of a good size, and I felt the prices were very good for the quality served up.

Sarah (Ulric’s wife) is the patissiere chef, and the puds are typical French and should not be missed.

Do not miss out on this restaurant; we had one of the best meals out in a long, long time. But do make sure you book, as it is very popular.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

An exquisite combination of flavours all fresh and delicious! Rilettes and saucisson, served with warm fresh bread and a chutney that popped in your mouth. Sea bass and crabmeat on a bed of leaves with strips of salmon and diced tomato served with a balsamic glaze. Portions were just right and left me with a little room for the prune and Armagnac tart. Just delicious! I can't wait to come by this way again. I especially loved the visit to our table by the chef! Thank you