“Jack”

Maidstone
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Jack”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This one I guarantee will raise a smile only because it is absolutely true. Taking grandson,Jack,aged 3, down to the Hollywood Bowl 10 pin bowling alley this evening Stopped en route at an ATM to withdraw £100. Part of the craic is that Jack withdraws the money from the machine itself. He hands me £80 and holds to £20 which he will give back to me later. Get to the Hollywood Bowl, at the bar ordering a drink, keeping an ever watchful eye on Jack who is standing in front of and peering up at a large fruit machine. Get my drink and ask Jack where is the £20. He points at the machine and says "in the machine, Grandad" Whereas I always knew you could put your £1 coin into the machine I now know you can also insert notes including a £20 note. This is what Jack had done. Machine is now showing that I have £20 credit. Called the manageress over and explain what my three-year-old had done. Very sympathetic but said that machine was not theirs, they had no access, and could not help. Am now left with the machine with £20 credit on it, decided had no choice but to play the thing, but pressing various buttons nothing seems to be happening. Called back the manageress who returned with a youngish man and explain that I have never played a fruit machine in my life and had no idea what to do. Neither of them were familiar with this particular machine but the bloke got us going by pressing some buttons and away we went. After pressing the start button about five or six times the manager said look there you are you have already got some money back and pointed out that £6 had appeared in the bank. Just kept pressing the start button and every now and then the money in the bank would go up and up until it reached £19. Decided to try and collect the money to cut our losses. However it became apparent that you had to use up all your credit, £12 of which remained, before you could collect your winnings. There, I said, I knew there was a catch. kept pressing the stop button until all the credit was used up, looked across at the bank, which showed that we had won £59. I don't know who was more pleased, Jack and I, or the manageress and her colleague.
Apart from all that a very nice place to spend an evening at. Good atmosphere, as you can see from the above very friendly and helpful staff, food is not unreasonable but would just suggest that when they serve hot dogs to children straight from the microwave they should give a warning that they are nuclear hot! Service in the bar tends to be very slow but do not wish to end on a discordant note after the great help I received earlier on.

Visited October 2013

UK
“Fun!”
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Hollywood bowl was very good! My whole family came, from little ones to elderlies. Everyone loved it. The staff were nice. The place looked very professional. It was good for all ages as my nan just loved to go in the arcade with my little cousin and win some prizes for her. Overall it was very good and left with big smiles! :D

Maidstone, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not very organised”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Took 13 kids to Hollywood Bowl for a party. Booked a kids package with food and drink. The kids loved it. The staff were not very helpful even with the shoes. Asked for jugs of squash and was advised it would have to be coke. Said would like squash but took several attempts to make them understand this. The food took forever and they seemed to get confused about the quantity ordered.. The One and only girl serving in the very busy bar was more interested in flirting with someone than serving. Wasn't given my receipt when I arrived (I had booked online) so this held the food up even more until I went and asked for it...it was ready on the side so they knew they had it but just didn't think to give it to me. Waited in excess of 40 minutes for food and another 20 for ice cream which we had to cancel as the kids were fed up with waiting and they hadn't bought it out, Overall this is a great venue and could be really good if the staff knew what they were doing and were more helpful in general. I would not advise taking large groups of children for a party here as they are not organised enough to deal with it or think in advance for food for party bookings etc.

Visited October 2013
Maidstone
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Enjoyable birthday but lacking sparkle”
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

My son had his birthday party at Hollywood Bowl, Maidstone in September 2013.

The new facility is kitted out very well and the booking arrangements went fine.

We booked the two hour birthday experience at £10.45 a head. The one hours bowling was fine and the food took about half an hour which was also fine.

Then our host said goodbye and it was over with 30 minutes left!!!

I find it difficult to rate it lower than average because my son and his friends really enjoyed it but do feel they should be reported under the Trade Description Act.

Visited September 2013