“Really impressed”

Nelsons Bar & Restaurant
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went here because I had bought a groupon voucher for it. To be honest I had low expectations. I ended up being blown away by the place.

The restaurant looks lovely and the staff are really friendly but not overly so. The food though was amazing. The portion sizes were just right, it was all beautifully laid out and the chef was prepared to individualise the meals for us (one dish contained pine nuts which he removed for me as I'm allergic).

We have already invited our friends to go eat with us next month here. Well worth a visit

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Visited with my mum for meal. Had a groupon voucher for fillet steak meal with wine . Meal was delicious, owners were welcoming and friendly and the atmosphere was lovely and relaxed. Nothing was too much trouble. This place has the recipe for success. Definitely going back.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

The four of us dined here for the most wonderful steak meals. Usually when having steak at least one of the party has the send the steaks back - but here no! Spot on - would thoroughly recommend.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Best Sunday lunch we've had in Maidstone for a long time. Chef made a special vegetarian dish for me, and also provided chicken for my partner, even though it wasn't one of the roasts on the menu. Sticky toffee pudding a little disappointing, but the lunch wascstill great value for money. Staff are very obliging.

Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

We chose to go to Nelsons as has seen its advertising. Looked up on trip advisor and reviews were mainly good.

We were very impressed. The building, entrance and layout is lovely. We had drinks and a sit on the sofa in front of the open fire - very pleasant.

The staff were polite and welcoming. At first we worried that we were going to be the only booking but by the time we left there were several tables occupied.

I ordered the pate and my partner ordered the prawns - he was so impressed. He said it was the best prawn starter he has had in a long time. The sauce was amazing. I enjoyed mine too and the presentation was great.

But I have to rave about the steak - ordered medium rare - beautiful. No other word describes it. I also asked if I could swap the tomato and mushroom for coleslaw which was offered with other mains. They were very accommodating and offered me salad too. I couldn't eat the chips as the home made onion rings (lovely light batter) along with the also homemade coleslaw and salad were ample. The hunters chicken was also presented well again and very moist and tasty.

We then went on to puddings as the food was not bloating yet it was ample. The crumble and cheesecake again very nice.

Altogether we really enjoyed our time there tonight and recommend it to couples who like quality food cooked very well. I heard the staff advising another table that their main took 20 min to cook - if u want a microwaved chain style meal - don't go here. It offers a varied yet small menu but it appears that each dish is cooked perfectly.

We will without doubt be returning. We wish you success with your new venture.

1  Thank Saunders-long