“Good Service”

Nelsons Bar & Restaurant
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 March 2015

We went for a quiet Friday night family meal, first time of visiting, we walked into what can only be described as a disco, clearly lost as there were no tables laid out for food, no staff to help us find our table, eventually we discovered through searching that we were booked for upstairs, seated and food ordered we were ready for our evening, apart from the racket of the private party going on downstairs, no quiet evening for us.

The food was nice, not great but nice, price was reasonable so we di enjoy ourselves.

One other comment to add is trying to get to the gents when a private party is being held, try walking through 30 plus people who will not move out of your way !!!!

I do not want to sound too negative, because as I say, we did enjoy ourselves, apart from the noise.

Reviewed 22 March 2015

Oh dear Nelsons what have you done? This used to be a lovely restaurant somewhere nice to go that wasn't a chain but on a recent visit I was very disappointed. The food we were served was bland the selection of veg (served in a ramekin dish of all things) was cold. The Pigeon was tough. I wish I had read the recent reviews before going.
The up side the staff were very attentive but you need a new chef & a new menu.

Reviewed 18 March 2015

Nelson's is a little isolated, behind to Fremlin shopping monster, and it took a Groupon offer to tempt us in for lunch. The girls on duty were very welcoming, attentive and efficient. My wife was happy enough with her goat's cheese starter and chicken pie main, but felt that they were too lightly seasoned. I on the other hand was totally satisfied by my mushroom soup, and blown away by the belly pork main - red cabbage, apple 'chips', creamy potato and unctuous dark sauce. My only regret was that the portion was so generous that I had to admit defeat (I left the mange-touts and carrots). The very short wine list provided us with a glass each (this was lunch-time) of very good wine in both colours.
Excellent food, good service; but perhaps the decor could be made more interesting.

1  Thank ColinCats
Reviewed 13 March 2015

Went to Nelsons on a Friday evening in January.
It was very quiet but was nice and cosy and the staff were very friendly.
My wife and I had a very nice meal here.
Recommended

1  Thank Roger P
Reviewed 7 March 2015 via mobile

Having passed for years curiosity finally got the better of us via a Groupon voucher and we decided to try it out. For a Saturday night the place was largely empty which was probably an indication for things to come. There seemed to be an odd atmosphere in the restaurant and considering it was largely empty we were kept waiting and ignored for long periods of time by staff. The Groupon voucher was for a Surf n Turf and the steak was pretty good. However the prawn skewers were not and none of us attempted to eat them. The prawns had not been cleaned and nor were they cooked as they were cold and translucent. I was easily distracted from this though as I was battling to keep my plate sliding off the wildly slanting table. At the same time trying to stop the missus catching me staring up the skirt of the lady on the table next to us who was sat at my head height. Desserts were good though. Probably wouldn't make a return visit which is a shame as potentially it could be a nice place.

2  Thank The_Kato