“Belly of pork...??”

Nelsons Bar & Restaurant
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 March 2015

I visited this restaurant with family and friends as I had bought a Groupon offer for 2 course mealupon entering the restaurant i was put off by the dirty carpets and the disco lights above the bar.

We were served buy a very polite young girl who seated us at a nice table where only one other couple were eating. We soon realised that we were the only 6 people in the restaurant, which is usually a bad sign but as it was a Tuesday lunchtime I gave it the benefit of the doubt.

As we had the Groupon offer, we had a limited menu, which I had expected. There was one soup choice and a goats cheese risotto ball option for starters and for mains, a chicken, leek and mushroom pie or a belly of pork with braised red cabbage.

I opted for the goats cheese starter, not many complaints here, they were tasty. Only issue was the garlic aoli was so strong it was almost spicy.

My friend opted for the soup of the day, which was vegetable, apparently. It was infact a strange cream based cauliflower cheese emulsion, which she couldn't eat as she doesn't like cheese! Nobody mentioned it was a cheesy vegetable soup!

Then to the mains,2 of my friends went for the chicken,leek and mushroom pie. Edible but no leek to be seen anywhere, mash was a strange gluey consistency, like water had been added to it. Suffice to say, they didn't eat much of it at all.
My mother and I went for the belly pork, possibly our favourite cut of meat! Both very excited about it! To my utter shock, we were presented with a pork chop atop a mound of the same wall paper paste mash! Oh and a deep fried peice of crackling that was clearly cooked in yesterday's chip fat!
We were so astonished that they had ppresented us with what was so obviously a pork loin chop, I really could not let it go by the by.
I approached the lovely girl at the bar, explaining, politely that we had infact not been given pork belly. She asked if I would like to complain, to which I said, if she could just make the chef aware but it wasnt a big issue. Just giving feedback...
The poor girl was sent back from the kitchen to tell us that "he said it is infact pork belly but he has tried it of all fat and has flattened it."

I nearly spat my coke over the table!!! Never heard such a blatant lie in my life and to make that poor girl tell us rather than the chef leaving the kitchen to explain to us was just awful! He clearly thought we were complete morons who had never seen pork belly before! How do you even completely trim pork belly of fat!? And why would you!? Thats the whole point! It was a very dry pork chop!

Despite complaining and none of us eating our food, we were also expected to pay for our one round of soft drinks which I think was a little off considering.

It was all pretty disappointing and will definitely not be visiting again.

5  Thank ashleightaylor04

Reviewed 22 March 2015

We went for a quiet Friday night family meal, first time of visiting, we walked into what can only be described as a disco, clearly lost as there were no tables laid out for food, no staff to help us find our table, eventually we discovered through searching that we were booked for upstairs, seated and food ordered we were ready for our evening, apart from the racket of the private party going on downstairs, no quiet evening for us.

The food was nice, not great but nice, price was reasonable so we di enjoy ourselves.

One other comment to add is trying to get to the gents when a private party is being held, try walking through 30 plus people who will not move out of your way !!!!

I do not want to sound too negative, because as I say, we did enjoy ourselves, apart from the noise.

Reviewed 22 March 2015

Oh dear Nelsons what have you done? This used to be a lovely restaurant somewhere nice to go that wasn't a chain but on a recent visit I was very disappointed. The food we were served was bland the selection of veg (served in a ramekin dish of all things) was cold. The Pigeon was tough. I wish I had read the recent reviews before going.
The up side the staff were very attentive but you need a new chef & a new menu.

Reviewed 18 March 2015

Nelson's is a little isolated, behind to Fremlin shopping monster, and it took a Groupon offer to tempt us in for lunch. The girls on duty were very welcoming, attentive and efficient. My wife was happy enough with her goat's cheese starter and chicken pie main, but felt that they were too lightly seasoned. I on the other hand was totally satisfied by my mushroom soup, and blown away by the belly pork main - red cabbage, apple 'chips', creamy potato and unctuous dark sauce. My only regret was that the portion was so generous that I had to admit defeat (I left the mange-touts and carrots). The very short wine list provided us with a glass each (this was lunch-time) of very good wine in both colours.
Excellent food, good service; but perhaps the decor could be made more interesting.

1  Thank ColinCats
Reviewed 13 March 2015

Went to Nelsons on a Friday evening in January.
It was very quiet but was nice and cosy and the staff were very friendly.
My wife and I had a very nice meal here.
Recommended