“Andrew”

Nelsons Bar & Restaurant
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 April 2015 via mobile

When to nelson's on friday just gone had a lovely meal pork belly and her friends my friends ed pole brilliant surf and turf we're gonna go again service was fantastic

1  Thank Andrew R

Reviewed 16 April 2015

My partner and I took advantage of a Groupon to visit Nelsons on a Saturday Lunchtime. Nice period building with a large log fire opposite the bar when you come. Sadly, in spite of the chilly weather it wasn't lit, which is a real shame because it would have made the place far more welcoming. Also we both felt the decor inside was a little out of character, Maroon walls and little in the way of hung pictures or other artefacts to break up the mass expanse of Maroon! The furnishing was ok but they could have dressed the tables to make them more appealing rather than leaving them bare.
The service was very good as was most of the food. The Groupon menu was quite restricted but they were happy to accommodate me choosing something from the main menu instead. The food was well cooked however my only complaint was my sweet chilli chicken burger, whilst cooked and prepared really well, was served in a cheap sesame bap which disintegrated instantly leaving me picking bits and pieces that went everywhere. I must have used up three serviettes through having to constantly clean my fingers.
Sadly due to its location away from Maidstone’s restaurant quarter and not having any foot fall past their door I fear Nelsons will not be able to generate enough business to survive. They need to do that extra bit more to get people talking and promoting the place. If they cooked outstanding food, gave the décor a few tweaks and turned the heating on along with that lovely looking fireplace, they might stand a chance.

2  Thank peter_haigh
Reviewed 2 April 2015 via mobile

Visited with my family for my dad's 50th birthday, we booked on a 2 course groupon deal. When we arrived the waitress was very welcoming but we were the only ones there. The groupon menu was VERY limited, the food was average at best, creme brûlée dessert (which we all opted for) was not at all creme brûlée, very strange consistency. My brother and dad left feeling hungry. Quite a strange atmosphere, only saving grace was the waitress was so lovely and did her best so service was good. Probably won't return

1  Thank Sophie K
Reviewed 24 March 2015

I visited this restaurant with family and friends as I had bought a Groupon offer for 2 course mealupon entering the restaurant i was put off by the dirty carpets and the disco lights above the bar.

We were served buy a very polite young girl who seated us at a nice table where only one other couple were eating. We soon realised that we were the only 6 people in the restaurant, which is usually a bad sign but as it was a Tuesday lunchtime I gave it the benefit of the doubt.

As we had the Groupon offer, we had a limited menu, which I had expected. There was one soup choice and a goats cheese risotto ball option for starters and for mains, a chicken, leek and mushroom pie or a belly of pork with braised red cabbage.

I opted for the goats cheese starter, not many complaints here, they were tasty. Only issue was the garlic aoli was so strong it was almost spicy.

My friend opted for the soup of the day, which was vegetable, apparently. It was infact a strange cream based cauliflower cheese emulsion, which she couldn't eat as she doesn't like cheese! Nobody mentioned it was a cheesy vegetable soup!

Then to the mains,2 of my friends went for the chicken,leek and mushroom pie. Edible but no leek to be seen anywhere, mash was a strange gluey consistency, like water had been added to it. Suffice to say, they didn't eat much of it at all.
My mother and I went for the belly pork, possibly our favourite cut of meat! Both very excited about it! To my utter shock, we were presented with a pork chop atop a mound of the same wall paper paste mash! Oh and a deep fried peice of crackling that was clearly cooked in yesterday's chip fat!
We were so astonished that they had ppresented us with what was so obviously a pork loin chop, I really could not let it go by the by.
I approached the lovely girl at the bar, explaining, politely that we had infact not been given pork belly. She asked if I would like to complain, to which I said, if she could just make the chef aware but it wasnt a big issue. Just giving feedback...
The poor girl was sent back from the kitchen to tell us that "he said it is infact pork belly but he has tried it of all fat and has flattened it."

I nearly spat my coke over the table!!! Never heard such a blatant lie in my life and to make that poor girl tell us rather than the chef leaving the kitchen to explain to us was just awful! He clearly thought we were complete morons who had never seen pork belly before! How do you even completely trim pork belly of fat!? And why would you!? Thats the whole point! It was a very dry pork chop!

Despite complaining and none of us eating our food, we were also expected to pay for our one round of soft drinks which I think was a little off considering.

It was all pretty disappointing and will definitely not be visiting again.

5  Thank ashleightaylor04
Reviewed 22 March 2015

We went for a quiet Friday night family meal, first time of visiting, we walked into what can only be described as a disco, clearly lost as there were no tables laid out for food, no staff to help us find our table, eventually we discovered through searching that we were booked for upstairs, seated and food ordered we were ready for our evening, apart from the racket of the private party going on downstairs, no quiet evening for us.

The food was nice, not great but nice, price was reasonable so we di enjoy ourselves.

One other comment to add is trying to get to the gents when a private party is being held, try walking through 30 plus people who will not move out of your way !!!!

I do not want to sound too negative, because as I say, we did enjoy ourselves, apart from the noise.