“Very good authentic food”
Review of Artemis

Artemis
Ranked #11 of 313 Restaurants in Maidstone
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Very good authentic food”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Premise:
Being a Greek South African I am delighted to finally have both Nandos (which is of course South African) and now a Greek place to eat as well, when my brother and I saw the signs dotted around town we knew we had to try it out. I am going to write this review with my English side of the family in mind as most customers to this place are undoubtedly British.

Service:
We were the only customers in at 3.15pm on a Monday afternoon so the atmosphere was a little dull. There was bouzouki music playing which added an authentic feel to the place and the decor was very well done. The Athenian waiter who served us however was a little reserved and didn't smile much while we were there but he did perk up a bit when we fumbled with what little of the Greek language we could remember from our childhood (which is about as much a typical tourist would pick up whilst on holiday in Greece).

Food:
We had no trouble deciding what we wanted to eat, the waiter was knowledgeable about an item on the menu that they had run out of which was good. I food itself was delicious, was very tasty and served in generous portions typical of the Mediterranean. We had grilled haloumi (the best I've had in years), stuffed peppers, chicken, lamb kofta, baklava and cheesecake and felt very full afterwards.

Price:
Very reasonable, typical high street prices. The total bill with cokes came to £43 which is what you would normally spend at Nandos for a comparable meal so no complaints there.

My gripes:
The service was slow, we were out at 4.30 this is inexcusable as we were the only people in there the whole time. Also while we were there we could hear the staff talking loudly in the kitchen which in our opinion was not very professional. They are a new restaurant so I think they need to sort these issues out before it becomes a long term bad habit as it was these 2 things that prevented me giving them 5 stars.

Ashford, United Kingdom
“Good food and going over and above board to met expectations!!”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I booked a table for my sons 2nd birthday on the Friday for Sunday 9th March x10 people at 12.00 after only hearing good things about this restaurant, and was really looking forward to a visit....

On arrival it didn't disappoint at all, we were met by smiley happy staff straight from the off and nothing was a problem, shown to our table and on seating we noticed the staffed decorated with balloons and banners for my 2 year old and hadn't even asked at all for them to do this what a lovely gesture....

Anyway the service Attended to our needs promptly, made sure we were happy throughout and topped up on drinks cutlery, napkins etc, being a demanding table due to kids, family, unexpected phone calls when taken orders I feel for a table of 10 they did really cope well, one mention to the blonde lady who was very professional and exceptional throughout!!

The Food.. Yes we had to wait a while but being freshly prepared and as a table of 10 that's what we expected... We are had various starters, and the portions were big and reasonable and good. I had muscles and they were the best muscles I've ever tasted!! Unlike the small closed muscles you normally get in branded restaurants and the home made pitta bread to dip into the source was Devine!!

The Mains!!

Try something different... The ladies had the chicken which was what you'd expected.. But I had the lamb kleftio WOW!! There was so much lamb in this dish I was amazed!! Not your normal 4 pieces of lamb that you'd receive from a chained restaurant. My dad had the Seabass and my brother had Octopus, they both look delicious as well and will defo go back and try these dishes as well as the moussaka!!

The End....

After having 2 Birthday cakes over the weekend, we didn't bother to bring my son one to the meal it request one, however on requesting the dessert menu they informed us that they had a cake for him in the back and when would we like it!! Again what a lovely surprise and a massive wow!! They had gone overboard to met our expectations again...

OVERALL.. Yes food times was a little slow but for a table of 10 you expect that when food is freshly cooked, it also gave a time to relax chat enjoy drinks, the photos and decor of Greece surroundings and watching my son open his presents.. Overall a brilliant relaxed experience and will defo go back soon!! THANK YOU so much for the cake and decorations and especially the blonde foreign lady (sorry did t get your name) who meet our needs at all times and made this a fantastic meal for all your family!! GIVE IT A GO AND MAKE YOUR OWN MIND UP!! You won't be disappointed!! :)

Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Hmmm very very slow service ”
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Well what can I say it took 20 minutes for us to be asked about any drinks so ordered food at the same time.

Of which consisted of halloumi and tzatziki this has so far taken a further 30 minutes and so far this had not arrived. Yes I am writing whilst sat in here. It doesn't leave me feeling as if this is not an enjoyable experience. I hope the food is outstanding for this length of wait.

Our main courses are the lamb kleftico so sadly these arrived 5 mins after starters. However, they did ask would we like to wait I thought on the experience of service for drinks then the starter, I believed the mains would be longer then 5 minutes. How wrong was I.

Never mind I can't say it was outstanding quality, some what bland. But I will say portion size ok. Pricey starters for the meze and hummus and the rest of the dips. They charge £1.50 for an extra pitta bread of which is robbery.

Total bill 43.50 that was with two beers and three cokes. No dessert.

The place is small maybe too many covers for the size of the restaurant and you do feel a bit squeezed in and if you are by the wall your stuck because there is limited room to go past the tables.

Would I rush back.... No.... but I may try it again in a few months when it has time to bed in.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
“A small restaurant but big on good food”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

The restaurant is small but nicely designed, close to the town centre. The menu offers a good range of starters and mains at reasonable prices. The food appears to be freshly prepared and could not be faulted for taste and quantity. Each dish was well presented, looked good and was good. Can recommend the starter of courgette balls which were delicately flavoured with herbs. My wife had a fish dish and I had moussaka for our main course - both excellent. Too full to have a dessert! Staff attentive and pleasant. Nice to have a greek restaurant in town.

1 Thank David W
“Good Greek”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Having seen some local board advertising, a friend and I tried this restaurant for a late lunch. We went in hungry and ordered traditional starters of calamari and taramsolata - these were generous portions and would easily do for a light lunch. Our main meals were also good portion sizes, well cooked and well presented - neither of us could finish them. House red was very pleasant. The menu had a good choice of traditional greek dishes and service was very good (although it was quiet at the time we visited). Altogether a very pleasant experience.

• Visited February 2014