“Wedding venue”

Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Maidstone
Gillingham kent
“Wedding venue”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Our son and daughter in law had their wedding at Oakwood house Friday 26th. Super venue
Staff very professional and we had great service. Food for reception excellent as was evening
Buffet. The ceremony was well set up outside and it was beautiful. Thoroughly recommend for
Future weddings.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Briancsmith
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Briancsmith

Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent event. I was delighted to read your experience and will ensure your comments are passed on to all of the team. We all wish you son and daughter in law a long and happy future together and look forward to welcoming you all back in the future.

Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stayed for one night attending a conference, and found the room in the residential wing comfortable, with tea & coffee making facilities, free bottled water, soaps, shampoos and an excellent shower. The shower head look as if it might be broken, but it's not!

Staff were extremely pleasant and helpful, particularly Rachel in Reception and there is no restaurant, but the bar serves meals such as fish & chips, steak and a few desserts. Because the hotel caters for weddings and conferences you do feel a little overwhelmed in the bar, but there are quieter times to have a drink or something to eat. There were two weddings and a conference there whilst we visited, so the outside spaces can get a bit crowded, but there is plenty of other room outside to sit on the grass and for children to have a run round.

Food is better than adequate with the buffet style breakfasts tasting pretty good, and some newspapers to read in the bar and restaurant. Tea is the drink to have at breakfast as the coffee is not brilliant.

We had a double room which cost us £70 which was good value and I would suggest that if you are attending a function at the hotel, it is a convenient and good place to stay.

Room Tip: I am sure some weddings and other functions can get boisterous, so if you want a good night's sl...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank isopahajussi
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear isopahajussi
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Oakwood House. I was delighted to see you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Stayed here for work and was initially pleasantly surprised with the quality of the accommodation, location and surroundings (although agree that it is slightly surreal being surrounded by a school). Check-in was fine and the rooms easily accessible. My room was clean and nicely decorated. Breakfast is pretty standard. There is a lovely terrace area to sit in, but there was a number of smokers and no specific outside smoking area which would have been nice in order to not have your evening spoiled. However, the bar/restaurant is certainly lacking and there is little in the way of alternatives within easy walking distance. The menu was very limited (woe betide you if you were a vegetarian and stayed more than one night). Food on the first night was adequate to good, but the second night it was dreadful. Overcooked, and poor portions - we would have been better off at MacDonalds. Service was slow on both nights and you got the impression the staff lacked experience. Whilst this maybe a young/new team working there, there needs to be more attention to detail and quality of experience if the hotel is to survive in a competitive market.

Room Tip: Don't bother eating on site.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Wienette
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Dear Wienette
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. I was sorry to read your poor experience within our bar during your stay and I will be taking up your comments with the team to understand what may have caused this. Please rest assured your experience is not typical of the levels of service to which we aspire. I was glad to read your found your welcome and room to your satisfaction. I would be happy to meet you on your next visit to discuss your concerns further.
Paul

Travellers are raving about these Maidstone hotels

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2013

As previous reviewers have said the hotel is in the middle of a school campus which is odd for such a lovely looking property.
My room was lovely with nice bed linen and lovely carpets. The bathroom was great with really funky toiletries. Lovely walk in shower. Excellent standard of cleanliness.
I had dinner in the hotel which has a very limited bar menu but the food was fine. Breakfast was plentiful although possibly lacked something as it is served in a function room.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Dear IloveBunny

Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your time with us. As part of the plan for the hotel going forward we are in the process of creating new dining outlets which will offer a fantastic range of food and drink during all meal times. We hope to see you again in the future.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights while working in Maidstone.
Location is a little strange, is in the middle of some sort of campus, has a school close by and a University I think, is a little difficult to find, the postcode on my sat nav took me somewhere completely different.
The hotel itself is contained within a renovated Victorian Manor House which looks superb from the outside in its own grounds. I had a standard double room which was very modern and clean, nice modern bathroom, the room was a little cramped, as was the bathroom which was a little annoying as there was no space to put anything, but overall the room was fine.
Nice restaurant which serves bar food but a limited menu, breakfast was a buffer style with cooked and continental which was fine, service was fine.
The only drawback is the Hotel/House itself is predominantly used for functions, conferences and business meetings, and a couple of times when returning at night there were private functions going in and I had limited access to my room. On one occasion I was barked at by some young girl running a promotion because I tried to access my room my usual way but was told I couldn’t as it was being used for a function.
I always had the impression I was imposing on everyone else by staying there, it’s hard to explain
Overall, if I was working down there again I would not stay there, but that’s just my personal preference, there was really nothing really negative about the place, just a strange vibe with all the rest of its activities.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear ScreamingEagle101
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Oakwood House following your recent stay. I was pleased to note you enjoyed your stay with us and will be joining us again in the future. As you have noted we are a multi purpose venue and I am sorry this stopped you from gaining access to your room easily. When we host events we do try to ensure adeqquate signage is in place and I will make sure this is the case for future events.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2013

As I come down for an event at Leeds Castle and this was just booked as an alternative to a Travel Inn type of place. I didn't make the booking, so had no idea where I was staying, I'd just assumed it was the usual budget chain type of thing, so I was surprised and impressed at the quality and style of this hotel.

I thought the building was beautiful, and had much more charm than that of standard chain hotel, and at £70 for the 2 of us on a Friday night, was competively priced too.

We were greeted by name at reception, which made a good impression. The room was small, but clean and comfortable. There were lots of little extras that you wouldn't find in the chain type place; 2 bottles of water, free wifi and Yves Rocher conditioner. I have stayed in lots of places, and very rarely ever find conditioner, and having long hair it really is a treat! A hairdryer was provided too.

Dear mperson01
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Oakwood House, I was delighted to read your feedback and will ensure all of your comments are passed on to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Went to this hotel as a couple for a weekend in the country. Although the hotel itself is a lovely old house (on the exterior) with some grounds, it is located on a campus with many other more recent buildings around, which is a bit disappointing. The inside of the hotel is actually made for conferences, with many meeting rooms, giving it a business-like feel.The staff were very helpful as we'd forgotten toothpaste and kindly brought us some. We'd booked an executive room (£100) which was very cramped (large but unnecessary wardrobe and desk) with a standard double bed. Our room had a view of the road. At least we got bathrobes (one had some kind of foundation stain though) and slippers which we wore just beacuse they were there (there is no spa/pool). The bathroom was very modern and clean with an amazing rain shower. Overall, an OK stay, but a bit misleading. Pleasant, but would probably look elsewhere next time for something with more value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear JessyFP
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. As noted we are a multi purpose venue but please rest assured we do our upmost to ensure every guest experience is special. I will be following up your comments with the team. If you would like to discuss this further please contact me at the hotel.