“Overall Excellent Customer Service!”

Oakwood House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Maidstone
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed here for a family wedding and overall was impressed. We booked into a family room with my two young children. The room was clean and spacious and staff upon check in were very friendly.

The food was lovely and grounds were beautiful. I would recommend to anyone with young children or even for a romantic weekend away.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Dear Lisa222013
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent visit. I was delighted to read your comments as will the team here be. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We got there just before seven pm,check in was fine although we were 'warned' that there were a couple of wedding parties in full swing.I enquired about food as we hadnt eaten all day and was told the room where we could get something to eat.We went up to our room,freshened up and came down to the bar to order dinner.The room was absolutely packed with approx 40 wedding guests and four deep at the bar.I went back to reception and was told the wedding guests were in the middle of changing rooms.She told me i could either wait in my room or she would phone a cab to the nearest restaurant!We opted to wait in the room as we had just travelled to the hotel and she phoned us and told us the bar was free.We ordered food but within ten minutes the room had filled up with wedding guests again.Our food arrived promptly,but on needing condiments the only place to go was the bar to ask with one poor lad serving all the wedding guests,i had to make several return trips to the bar to ask for things.
We finally went to bed as we had a full day planned the following day,only to be woken by the fire alarms at one am.We got dressed and went outside the room only to see everyone else doing the same,a member of staff walked past without saying a word to anyone,so everyone just went back into their rooms.
I appreciate they make their money on corporate business days and weddings,but at the detriment to the ordinary traveller.Either keep the different ventures separate or stop catering to couples and families.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Dexter1210
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Oakwood House. I am sorry that on this occassion we failed to meet the high standards to which we work. No matter why you our at Oakwood House our priority is to make sure every guests receives the same high standards of service. I will be taking up your comments with my team to ensure service delivery is met.
With regards to the Fire Alarm we place our customers health and safety with the highest priority and we received many compliments the follwoing morning on the way the situation was dealt with.
Once again please accept my apologies.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

I booked my room on the internet and all went well initialy, it was easy and the reply was effiecent but nothing more than I expected. However I didnt get the room I booked (I reserved a twin, as my friend and I were attending a friends wedding being held at the hotel) we were given a double room and offered no alternative. When we looked in the bathroom there was brown mould in the shower and on the shower mat we were not impressed! We found our tea tray to be very inadiquate.
I ran a Bed & Breakfast myself and maintained all my rooms, so can appreicate the effort that goes into looking after guests and the rooms to maintain standards. When we went down to breakfast in the morning we found breakfast was unimpressive. I have no objection to a buffet style breakfast if its properly looked after, unfortunatly the bacon was so crisp it resembled a pack of frazzles, the eggs had quite clearly been there sometime and I passed on the rest.
My friend and I ordered tea in the bar and were given a mug filled with hot water with a tea bag and a wooden stirrer. NOT what we ordered! A hotel of that calebra should serve tea in a tea pot on a tray. Having booked this room for my friend and I, I was highly embaressed and very disapointed with the service and standards you offer. I also paid £10 more than my friends who stayed in an identical room on the same day. when we pointed this out we were given the brush off!!!! VERY UNHAPPY
I would not reccomend this to anyone

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear sam b
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor experience you had on this occassion.
With regards to the booking of your room all of our internet bookings go directly in to our computer system on the details entered at time of booking.
I have spoken with my management team this morning and we have no record of any complaints being made to a member of management regarding the issues you encountered? It is disappointing that you didn't want to speak to us and instead placed this review?
All of my team place our customers at the heart of what we do, and therefore I would urge you in future to speak to us and let us resolve any issues.
Once again I am sorry for the poor experience.

Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

I had my 30th birthday party here on the 29th June. I knew as soon as I walked in I loved the place and was perfect for my party. The DJ was in a separate room so I was able to have grandparents there too. Everyone enjoyed themselves and loved the place. I also stayed there that night and couldn't fault anything. Many thanks to the staff for making it a perfect night and one to remember.

• Stayed: June 2013
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear Sarah B

Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent party / event. I was delighted to read your comments and will ensure I pass them on to all of the team. We all hope to see you back at Oakwood House in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

I booked this hotel for a treat when we attended a wedding in a nearby village. The hotel backs onto some nice gardens, but the rest of the postcode is full of school, about 6 of them. Huge and hideous buildings. It was very hard to find because of thus. The room was less than average, not like the stunning ones shown on the website. Breakfast was greasy and the cutlery was very dirty. There was a wedding at the venue the night we stayed, the music played until 1.25am! When I called reception to complain I was treated as if it was not an issue, I was expecting a grovelling apology! We asked for our money back, a full refund was given...the guests checking out behind us were also complaining. The daytime receptionist was lovely. She was the only redeeming feature.

Room Tip: Ask for the room you see on line!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robyn M

Dear Robyn M

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Oakwood House. I was sorry to read that your stay with us failed to meet your expectations. I am sure you will understand and appreciate that with the best will in the world we are never going to able to move the property. What is important to me is that we run a fantastic, historical building and everything inside it runs like clockwork.
I have spoken with my team regarding your comments and can confirm we served 70 breakfasts on the morning in question without any complaints and the music from the wedding was stopped by 12.30am as per our contract with the entertainment.
I was glad to read that the receptionist on duty was able to assist you on departure.
I would be happy to discuss your comments further if you would like to give me a call at the hotel.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

The hotel is unfortunately situated in the middle of commercial buildings, although the gardens at the rear are sheltered by trees.
The rooms are on the small side and do not have a fridge or mini-bar,my bathroom needed attention.
There are only bar meals available.
The staff are very friendly and helpfull.
I attended a wedding which was well organised, I do feel that the accommodation is better suited to guests who are attending a wedding or conference meetings.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be small with very little room to dress etc.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear Gwendolyn12

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Oakwood House. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and the wedding you attended.
Thank you for your positive comments regarding the team here.
I have noted your feedback and will ensure you comments are passed on to the team so we can reticify and issues.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

From the website this looks like a nice country-house hotel. As we drove up we quickly realised that it's not that: it's in a campus containing a university, school and council buildings. It's really a corporate conference centre, and you very much get that feeling when staying there. There is a part of the hotel which is a nice old house, but there is also a very large modern part. I have to say the staff were great, very friendly, but when they give you a map to get to your room that should be a warning sign. We had to walk past a couple of groups on the way, and the room itself was small and extremely boxy. The restaurant turned out to be a bar with a small menu. Again, the staff were very helpful, the barman even checked with the chef how long the wait might be before he took our order as they had some big groups in. But I think the barman was new as it took him ages to put our order into the till. When I ordered a red wine he offered me a bucket of ice to chill it in - the wine really wasn't that hot! Anyway the meal was nice enough for bar food, and it was a friendly atmosphere as the Wimbledon semi-final with Andy Murray was on so people kept coming into the bar to check the score and have a chat. In the morning we couldn't find the breakfast room, as it was all set out for a conference or meeting. Breakfast itself was good - plenty of it and a good choice - but it felt strange sitting in an enormous room to eat it, with tables all set out ready for some kind of meeting. It wasn't an unpleasant experience, but it really wasn't what I was expecting from the description on the website.

Room Tip: Check if any meetings might block access to your room during your stay.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear John B

Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. We have noted your comments and I am working with my management team to ensure we address the issues you raised. Whilst I am unable to change the location of the hotel we do work extremely hard to ensure the service receieved by all of our guests is second to none.
I hope this will not stop you from using us in the future as we have a number of exciting projects underway to increase our range of facilities on offer.