“Nice setting”

Oakwood House Hotel
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Maidstone
“Nice setting”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

It's set in a beautiful park.
There was a wedding the night I spent there which didn't really bother me at all, I just spent one night there. The walls were thin and I could hear everything going on in the other room (gals getting ready for the wedding) so that was a bit annoying, but again, I spent little time in the hotel.
The room was big and comfortable and the bed was heavenly.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear Rose_Daniels
Thank you for reviewing Oakwood House following your stay. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and found the bedroom to your satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Have stayed here twice now, both at weekends and both times there have been weddings on. However, they are largely cordoned off from the rest of the hotel so we were largely able to enjoy the bar. The food was very nice and there was a good variety although the bar staff were a bit slow. The staff on the front desk were friendly and helpful. The place is very nice and you can easily have a walk around the grounds. The rooms are clean and neat and overall were very satisfactory. On both occasions that I have stayed there, there have not been any problems when getting to sleep because of the wedding and the bed was very good. Recommended.

Room Tip: From memory I was in rooms 38 and 40 on the two occasions I have stayed there and had no problems wi...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear sg3000
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. I am delighted you have enjoyed your stays with us and will ensure your feedback is passed on to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Lowestoft England
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I visited this hotel with my family for a wedding. I can't fault the hotel for the smooth running of the day, the wheels are well oiled and we had a wonderful time. The food was excellent, well presented and there were plenty of staff to ensure each table received their meals together. It is an excellent wedding venue, well appointed rooms, beautiful grounds and attentive staff.
Still on a positive side, the bar area is very good, and there is a limited bar menu, although four of us had an exceptable meal the night before the wedding.
On a negative side........this is not a hotel to spend a few nights on a break if you are not in a wedding party. It is like a factory. The weekend we were there, there was a wedding Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, there are also numerous daily courses being run as well. Due to the very poor signage in the hotel on one occasion we had to pass through a room where a wedding party, was to get to the bar area. We were unable to make full use of the beautiful grounds as there were speeches going on along side the patio area, and with a young child we were aware of making too much noise!
Bedrooms seem to be varied, some have been upgraded, although small, are adequate for an over night stay, but lack comfort. This could easily have been overcome by installing smaller wardrobes! No need for a whole wall of fitted wardrobes a comfy chair and one wardrobe would have been more acceptable!
One of the areas I felt the hotel let itself down on, was the fact there was a large Christmas tree with full decorations in the entrance hall. Bearing in mind there were four weddings over as many days the weekend we visited, this was to say the least tacky and unnecessary! The front of the building is very beautiful, but on entry firstly to be confronted by Christmas tree and then a lack lustre reception hall does not create a good impression. Such a shame, as first impressions mean so much!

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room, over looking back overflow car park. This appeared to be quieter than so...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emanic
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Emanic
Thank you for reviewing Oakwood House following your recent stay. I was delighted to read the wedding you were attending went well. I'm not sure how people getting married on any day of the week is a negative? We ensure that no matter what day of the week we contribute to ensuring it is the happiest day of their lives. Furthermore I have received no complaints from any of our regular corporate guests. With regards to the Christmas tree I take on board your personal opinion however it has become quite a feature with bride and grooms for having photo's taken with it.
Please rest assured whatever the reason you stay at Oakwood House we always strive to deliver excellence.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Stayed here recently for a Friday wedding, totally unaware that there were weddings from Thursday through to Sunday!
We did not expect to walk into Reception to be confronted by a Christmas tree and all the trimmings in mid-August! Having checked-in for our two nights we were "directed" to our room. Needless to say we got completely lost as the signage in the centre is non-existent!
Thankfully, the rest of our family were able to help out!
The bar area is lovely and we proceeded to order drinks and asked if we could take them outside. We duly did this but as there was a wedding in progress, the patio area was unavailable.
Over the course of our two-night stay, this was clearly a problem as guests arriving for the Saturday wedding had nowhere to go due to our wedding!!
The bar menu is limited but four of us had an acceptable meal and the service could not be faulted.
Breakfast on both mornings was a little shambolic due to the overlapping of wedding parties and the buffet breakfast ran out on both occasions.
The wedding breakfast and evening celebrations went well and I'm sure the staff have their routines down to a fine tee.
I'm not sure if they have weddings at the beginning of the week but, beware, if you are visiting Maidstone for a few days and want a little bit of peace and quiet - as this is not the place to be!!!!
Some bedrooms have been refurbished and we could not fault ours. Our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter were in a much smaller room that left a lot to be desired!!

Room Tip: Some rooms[Superior] have been refurbished and are good value.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Mike S
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. I was pleased to read the wedding you were attending went well. I am a little puzzled as to where your title comes from as having stayed with us you would have experienced all the hotel has to offer? Being able to offer one of the largest function suites in Maidstone means we love to host large conferences, weddings or private functions on any day of the week. I have an experienced team who strive to deliver exceptional customer service every day no matter what the reason for you being here. We have lots of regular guests who stay with us week after week.
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed here for a family wedding and overall was impressed. We booked into a family room with my two young children. The room was clean and spacious and staff upon check in were very friendly.

The food was lovely and grounds were beautiful. I would recommend to anyone with young children or even for a romantic weekend away.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Dear Lisa222013
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent visit. I was delighted to read your comments as will the team here be. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Kent
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We got there just before seven pm,check in was fine although we were 'warned' that there were a couple of wedding parties in full swing.I enquired about food as we hadnt eaten all day and was told the room where we could get something to eat.We went up to our room,freshened up and came down to the bar to order dinner.The room was absolutely packed with approx 40 wedding guests and four deep at the bar.I went back to reception and was told the wedding guests were in the middle of changing rooms.She told me i could either wait in my room or she would phone a cab to the nearest restaurant!We opted to wait in the room as we had just travelled to the hotel and she phoned us and told us the bar was free.We ordered food but within ten minutes the room had filled up with wedding guests again.Our food arrived promptly,but on needing condiments the only place to go was the bar to ask with one poor lad serving all the wedding guests,i had to make several return trips to the bar to ask for things.
We finally went to bed as we had a full day planned the following day,only to be woken by the fire alarms at one am.We got dressed and went outside the room only to see everyone else doing the same,a member of staff walked past without saying a word to anyone,so everyone just went back into their rooms.
I appreciate they make their money on corporate business days and weddings,but at the detriment to the ordinary traveller.Either keep the different ventures separate or stop catering to couples and families.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Dexter1210
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Oakwood House. I am sorry that on this occassion we failed to meet the high standards to which we work. No matter why you our at Oakwood House our priority is to make sure every guests receives the same high standards of service. I will be taking up your comments with my team to ensure service delivery is met.
With regards to the Fire Alarm we place our customers health and safety with the highest priority and we received many compliments the follwoing morning on the way the situation was dealt with.
Once again please accept my apologies.
Paul

Travellers are raving about these Maidstone hotels

Honiton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I booked my room on the internet and all went well initialy, it was easy and the reply was effiecent but nothing more than I expected. However I didnt get the room I booked (I reserved a twin, as my friend and I were attending a friends wedding being held at the hotel) we were given a double room and offered no alternative. When we looked in the bathroom there was brown mould in the shower and on the shower mat we were not impressed! We found our tea tray to be very inadiquate.
I ran a Bed & Breakfast myself and maintained all my rooms, so can appreicate the effort that goes into looking after guests and the rooms to maintain standards. When we went down to breakfast in the morning we found breakfast was unimpressive. I have no objection to a buffet style breakfast if its properly looked after, unfortunatly the bacon was so crisp it resembled a pack of frazzles, the eggs had quite clearly been there sometime and I passed on the rest.
My friend and I ordered tea in the bar and were given a mug filled with hot water with a tea bag and a wooden stirrer. NOT what we ordered! A hotel of that calebra should serve tea in a tea pot on a tray. Having booked this room for my friend and I, I was highly embaressed and very disapointed with the service and standards you offer. I also paid £10 more than my friends who stayed in an identical room on the same day. when we pointed this out we were given the brush off!!!! VERY UNHAPPY
I would not reccomend this to anyone

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Dear sam b
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor experience you had on this occassion.
With regards to the booking of your room all of our internet bookings go directly in to our computer system on the details entered at time of booking.
I have spoken with my management team this morning and we have no record of any complaints being made to a member of management regarding the issues you encountered? It is disappointing that you didn't want to speak to us and instead placed this review?
All of my team place our customers at the heart of what we do, and therefore I would urge you in future to speak to us and let us resolve any issues.
Once again I am sorry for the poor experience.