“Terrific”

Oakwood House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Maidstone
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Excellent hotel and reasonable priced. A little hard to find but once you do it is worth it. Has restaturant, bar, and lift. Staff was friendly and helpful. Good experience. I was tired when arrived and frustrated in finding it. Hotel staff need to tell you to start counting lights after enter city. Also White gate landmark can't be seen till directly opposite. Wood fence better landmark.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear ej46
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay and your comments. I will ensure they are passed on to all of the team to read. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stayed here with my friend. We didn't get the best welcome, as were a younger couple we seemed to have been looked down on and didn't get the welcome that the older couple got who walked in before us. The room was lovely. Huge walk in shower and considering there was a wedding the room was quiet.
Had a drink in the bar in the evening and the barman was lovely, welcomed us and swiftly got us some drinks.
The breakfast in the morning was a bit unorganised. There was a wedding party in there and we felt uncomfortable walking into the room with them all starring at us.
Overall the hotel was a lovely hotel - strange setting, lots of things to do around. Would recommend it if staying in Maidstone.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear Sp06
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I have noted your comments regarding your arrival and breakfast and will ensure they are passed on to the team to ensure incidents like this do not occur again.
We all hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

It's set in a beautiful park.
There was a wedding the night I spent there which didn't really bother me at all, I just spent one night there. The walls were thin and I could hear everything going on in the other room (gals getting ready for the wedding) so that was a bit annoying, but again, I spent little time in the hotel.
The room was big and comfortable and the bed was heavenly.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear Rose_Daniels
Thank you for reviewing Oakwood House following your stay. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and found the bedroom to your satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Have stayed here twice now, both at weekends and both times there have been weddings on. However, they are largely cordoned off from the rest of the hotel so we were largely able to enjoy the bar. The food was very nice and there was a good variety although the bar staff were a bit slow. The staff on the front desk were friendly and helpful. The place is very nice and you can easily have a walk around the grounds. The rooms are clean and neat and overall were very satisfactory. On both occasions that I have stayed there, there have not been any problems when getting to sleep because of the wedding and the bed was very good. Recommended.

Room Tip: From memory I was in rooms 38 and 40 on the two occasions I have stayed there and had no problems wi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear sg3000
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. I am delighted you have enjoyed your stays with us and will ensure your feedback is passed on to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

I visited this hotel with my family for a wedding. I can't fault the hotel for the smooth running of the day, the wheels are well oiled and we had a wonderful time. The food was excellent, well presented and there were plenty of staff to ensure each table received their meals together. It is an excellent wedding venue, well appointed rooms, beautiful grounds and attentive staff.
Still on a positive side, the bar area is very good, and there is a limited bar menu, although four of us had an exceptable meal the night before the wedding.
On a negative side........this is not a hotel to spend a few nights on a break if you are not in a wedding party. It is like a factory. The weekend we were there, there was a wedding Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, there are also numerous daily courses being run as well. Due to the very poor signage in the hotel on one occasion we had to pass through a room where a wedding party, was to get to the bar area. We were unable to make full use of the beautiful grounds as there were speeches going on along side the patio area, and with a young child we were aware of making too much noise!
Bedrooms seem to be varied, some have been upgraded, although small, are adequate for an over night stay, but lack comfort. This could easily have been overcome by installing smaller wardrobes! No need for a whole wall of fitted wardrobes a comfy chair and one wardrobe would have been more acceptable!
One of the areas I felt the hotel let itself down on, was the fact there was a large Christmas tree with full decorations in the entrance hall. Bearing in mind there were four weddings over as many days the weekend we visited, this was to say the least tacky and unnecessary! The front of the building is very beautiful, but on entry firstly to be confronted by Christmas tree and then a lack lustre reception hall does not create a good impression. Such a shame, as first impressions mean so much!

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room, over looking back overflow car park. This appeared to be quieter than so...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Emanic
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear Emanic
Thank you for reviewing Oakwood House following your recent stay. I was delighted to read the wedding you were attending went well. I'm not sure how people getting married on any day of the week is a negative? We ensure that no matter what day of the week we contribute to ensuring it is the happiest day of their lives. Furthermore I have received no complaints from any of our regular corporate guests. With regards to the Christmas tree I take on board your personal opinion however it has become quite a feature with bride and grooms for having photo's taken with it.
Please rest assured whatever the reason you stay at Oakwood House we always strive to deliver excellence.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Stayed here recently for a Friday wedding, totally unaware that there were weddings from Thursday through to Sunday!
We did not expect to walk into Reception to be confronted by a Christmas tree and all the trimmings in mid-August! Having checked-in for our two nights we were "directed" to our room. Needless to say we got completely lost as the signage in the centre is non-existent!
Thankfully, the rest of our family were able to help out!
The bar area is lovely and we proceeded to order drinks and asked if we could take them outside. We duly did this but as there was a wedding in progress, the patio area was unavailable.
Over the course of our two-night stay, this was clearly a problem as guests arriving for the Saturday wedding had nowhere to go due to our wedding!!
The bar menu is limited but four of us had an acceptable meal and the service could not be faulted.
Breakfast on both mornings was a little shambolic due to the overlapping of wedding parties and the buffet breakfast ran out on both occasions.
The wedding breakfast and evening celebrations went well and I'm sure the staff have their routines down to a fine tee.
I'm not sure if they have weddings at the beginning of the week but, beware, if you are visiting Maidstone for a few days and want a little bit of peace and quiet - as this is not the place to be!!!!
Some bedrooms have been refurbished and we could not fault ours. Our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter were in a much smaller room that left a lot to be desired!!

Room Tip: Some rooms[Superior] have been refurbished and are good value.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Mike S
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. I was pleased to read the wedding you were attending went well. I am a little puzzled as to where your title comes from as having stayed with us you would have experienced all the hotel has to offer? Being able to offer one of the largest function suites in Maidstone means we love to host large conferences, weddings or private functions on any day of the week. I have an experienced team who strive to deliver exceptional customer service every day no matter what the reason for you being here. We have lots of regular guests who stay with us week after week.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed here for a family wedding and overall was impressed. We booked into a family room with my two young children. The room was clean and spacious and staff upon check in were very friendly.

The food was lovely and grounds were beautiful. I would recommend to anyone with young children or even for a romantic weekend away.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Dear Lisa222013
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent visit. I was delighted to read your comments as will the team here be. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.