“Nice hotel, excellent service!”

Oakwood House Hotel
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Maidstone
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, excellent service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

Service goes a long way for me whenever I stay in hotels as often it's for business as I'm pretty much in and out and often don't experience everything on offer such as the food/bar etc... It struck me the second I walked into Oakwood House that customer service is obviously very high on their agenda too.

All smiles and helpfulness from the word go unlike so many of the hotels you get in the capital where those on reception barely seem interested enough to make eye contact.

I asked for an ironing board to be dropped off at my room, it was there in 2 minutes. I asked for a taxi to be ordered, it was there in 5 minutes.

They stop serving breakfast at 10am and it was only at 9.45 when I decided that I'd quite like some - went down to the where it was being served and they had started tidying away so I assumed I'd missed by chance. Nothing of the sort, they asked me to take a seat and brought me an excellent full english. So many hotels I've stopped in it would have been "sorry, too late pal".

The room was very nice, not sure about the 'Superior' rating but their was a robe & slippers and an awesome shower so perhaps that's the difference. Great night's sleep too.

Impossible to knock this place and the staff are second to none.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear BJMcG
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. I was delighted to read your comments as the team work hard on a daily basis to ensure we provide the highest levels of customer service.
I will ensure you comments are passed on to all of the team, complimentary feedback such as yours is always motivating as it shows their efforts have been appreciated.
We all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Worst hotel ever stayed at, ever

* We got no sleep due to the wedding having the loudest music i have heared which surely would have been classed as noise pollution in a bog standard neighborhood up till midnight which meant till then NO sleep we run reception about this and all we got was sorry we will shut the doors but you couldnt tell if they had or not cause no difference was made.

* The room its self was normal with added touches her or there nothing to really warrant the £90 price tag, only bonus over other hotels was mineral water and a biscuit.

* For a luxury night away for a special event it was sour and more sour for a hard working couple to pay to get away from the house for 1 night expect a more than lush night sleep and get more than the other way round and infact get a night from hell and worse than that when e-mailed about the matter we was completely ignored and when we arrived and booked the hotel was not warned about the wedding or possible noise, maybe because we would not have booked the place if we had known. We was a money pot to them as feel very robbed. Please avoid if you are looking for a luxury night away as wedding guests are far more important.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear sophielouloop16
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your stay. I was extremely disappointed to read your comments. We are recognised locally as having a very good relationship with our neighbours in terms of noise and will always allocate non function guests on the far side of the building.
Having read your review I do not understand why you didn't speak to a member of the management team before you left as we have no record of your complaint? Further more could you provide me with a copy of the email you sent as we have not received anything?
Once again please accept my apologies for the poor experience you received. Please feel free to give me a call at the hotel to discuss further.
Paul

Travellers are raving about these Maidstone hotels

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

We had our daughters wedding reception here last friday & I recommend it to anyone planning a wedding reception. The hotel ticked all the boxes that we wanted from a wedding, bridal suite, bar & dance floor in the same room, lovely area for wedding photos,can stay the night, good breakfast! The staff were excellent throughout & nothing was too much trouble. Right from when we visited the hotel initially & met Sam the wedding co ordinator, through to the tasting we received good service.
It was truly a wonderful day & all our guests who stayed overnight which was pretty much the whole hotel only had good things to say about it.
Highly recommend!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Linda W
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Linda W
Thank you for your comments following your daughters wedding at Oakwood House. I was delighted to read your experience and will ensure your comments are passed on to all of the team. We all hope to welcome you back in the future and wish your daughter and son-in-law a very happy future together.

St Jean d'angely
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

The positive points are the building and the general cleanliness of the hotel; and the waitress that worked at breakfast was very friendly & the only one who seemed to know what she was doing
However very very poor on customer service; Had 2 rooms booked but when we arrived there was only one room appointed; Receptionist was friendly but it took ages to sort out & she was not sure what to do; of My colleauge had paid for a double room but only got a single without any explanation
The two young people working in the bar spent the evening chatting to each other & it was very difficult to get their attention for antying, the young man at one time rolled his eyes up & threw his hands in the air; Wiaited almost one hour for our meal, however were offered a complimentary drink but there were no explanations for the delay
On check out the receptionist was on a long telephone conversation aoubt 10 minutes & made no eye contact & just left me standing there, again the staff were just hanging around having a chat
it showed lots of promise from the outside but due to real poor service I would not return again

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MaryMc17
Dear MaryMc17
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. I was extremely disappointed to read your comments regarding the levels of service you describe. However I was even more disappointed that after checking with all of my management team no complaint has been received during your stay?
I am also confused by your comment regarding a single bedroom as we do not have any?
Please accept my sincere apologies for the service you receieved on this visit and I would urge you in the future to at least make us aware of any issues so we are given a chance to rectify them.
If you would like to discuss your experience further please do feel free to give me a call at the hotel.

Ouray, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

Excellent hotel and reasonable priced. A little hard to find but once you do it is worth it. Has restaturant, bar, and lift. Staff was friendly and helpful. Good experience. I was tired when arrived and frustrated in finding it. Hotel staff need to tell you to start counting lights after enter city. Also White gate landmark can't be seen till directly opposite. Wood fence better landmark.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear ej46
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay and your comments. I will ensure they are passed on to all of the team to read. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Stafford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stayed here with my friend. We didn't get the best welcome, as were a younger couple we seemed to have been looked down on and didn't get the welcome that the older couple got who walked in before us. The room was lovely. Huge walk in shower and considering there was a wedding the room was quiet.
Had a drink in the bar in the evening and the barman was lovely, welcomed us and swiftly got us some drinks.
The breakfast in the morning was a bit unorganised. There was a wedding party in there and we felt uncomfortable walking into the room with them all starring at us.
Overall the hotel was a lovely hotel - strange setting, lots of things to do around. Would recommend it if staying in Maidstone.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear Sp06
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I have noted your comments regarding your arrival and breakfast and will ensure they are passed on to the team to ensure incidents like this do not occur again.
We all hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

It's set in a beautiful park.
There was a wedding the night I spent there which didn't really bother me at all, I just spent one night there. The walls were thin and I could hear everything going on in the other room (gals getting ready for the wedding) so that was a bit annoying, but again, I spent little time in the hotel.
The room was big and comfortable and the bed was heavenly.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear Rose_Daniels
Thank you for reviewing Oakwood House following your stay. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and found the bedroom to your satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.