Oakwood House Hotel
  • Pool
Average 3/5
  • Breakfast included
Very Good 4/5
All reviewswedding venuepresidential suitedance floorincluding breakfastold housebuffet breakfastwedding breakfastsat navgreat showerbirthday partyfull englishfunction roomwedding receptioncourse mealtea and coffeegood nights sleepa lovely stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I have recently been to Oakwood House on a course the only complaint is that parking is difficult. Having said that I think this is an excellant venue for a course. The rooms are well furnished and comfortable. The best thing is the food, lunches were fabulous and plentiful, the choices are varied and you are able to have a bit of everything if you so wish. I look forward to more courses at this venue.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Rookie13
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Rookie13
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent course.
I was delighted to read your comments and will ensure they are passed on to all of the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

This place is tucked away in the middle of a college campus, complete with bizarre one way systems. One flustered guest arrived at the same time as we did complaining that it had taken her half an hour to travel the last half a mile trying to find the place.
The rooms were fine, although it seems this hotel is heavily catered for conferences and training courses. It seems like a very nice building, and is obviously fairly old. It is madness that the local council have allowed all the modern development around it.
We ordered a taxi and it took ages to come. I feel that they too struggled to find the place.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear David S S
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. From reading your review I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, once you found us. We are working hard with the local authorities to ensure we have better signage from all routes.
We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Service goes a long way for me whenever I stay in hotels as often it's for business as I'm pretty much in and out and often don't experience everything on offer such as the food/bar etc... It struck me the second I walked into Oakwood House that customer service is obviously very high on their agenda too.

All smiles and helpfulness from the word go unlike so many of the hotels you get in the capital where those on reception barely seem interested enough to make eye contact.

I asked for an ironing board to be dropped off at my room, it was there in 2 minutes. I asked for a taxi to be ordered, it was there in 5 minutes.

They stop serving breakfast at 10am and it was only at 9.45 when I decided that I'd quite like some - went down to the where it was being served and they had started tidying away so I assumed I'd missed by chance. Nothing of the sort, they asked me to take a seat and brought me an excellent full english. So many hotels I've stopped in it would have been "sorry, too late pal".

The room was very nice, not sure about the 'Superior' rating but their was a robe & slippers and an awesome shower so perhaps that's the difference. Great night's sleep too.

Impossible to knock this place and the staff are second to none.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear BJMcG
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. I was delighted to read your comments as the team work hard on a daily basis to ensure we provide the highest levels of customer service.
I will ensure you comments are passed on to all of the team, complimentary feedback such as yours is always motivating as it shows their efforts have been appreciated.
We all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Worst hotel ever stayed at, ever

* We got no sleep due to the wedding having the loudest music i have heared which surely would have been classed as noise pollution in a bog standard neighborhood up till midnight which meant till then NO sleep we run reception about this and all we got was sorry we will shut the doors but you couldnt tell if they had or not cause no difference was made.

* The room its self was normal with added touches her or there nothing to really warrant the £90 price tag, only bonus over other hotels was mineral water and a biscuit.

* For a luxury night away for a special event it was sour and more sour for a hard working couple to pay to get away from the house for 1 night expect a more than lush night sleep and get more than the other way round and infact get a night from hell and worse than that when e-mailed about the matter we was completely ignored and when we arrived and booked the hotel was not warned about the wedding or possible noise, maybe because we would not have booked the place if we had known. We was a money pot to them as feel very robbed. Please avoid if you are looking for a luxury night away as wedding guests are far more important.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear sophielouloop16
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your stay. I was extremely disappointed to read your comments. We are recognised locally as having a very good relationship with our neighbours in terms of noise and will always allocate non function guests on the far side of the building.
Having read your review I do not understand why you didn't speak to a member of the management team before you left as we have no record of your complaint? Further more could you provide me with a copy of the email you sent as we have not received anything?
Once again please accept my apologies for the poor experience you received. Please feel free to give me a call at the hotel to discuss further.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We had our daughters wedding reception here last friday & I recommend it to anyone planning a wedding reception. The hotel ticked all the boxes that we wanted from a wedding, bridal suite, bar & dance floor in the same room, lovely area for wedding photos,can stay the night, good breakfast! The staff were excellent throughout & nothing was too much trouble. Right from when we visited the hotel initially & met Sam the wedding co ordinator, through to the tasting we received good service.
It was truly a wonderful day & all our guests who stayed overnight which was pretty much the whole hotel only had good things to say about it.
Highly recommend!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Linda W
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Linda W
Thank you for your comments following your daughters wedding at Oakwood House. I was delighted to read your experience and will ensure your comments are passed on to all of the team. We all hope to welcome you back in the future and wish your daughter and son-in-law a very happy future together.