“Ok but nothing special ” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa

Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Dartford
“Ok but nothing special ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

The good
Staff very friendly
Food was good
Pleasant decor and surroundings

The bad
Uncomfortable bed
Rooms a bit tired
Bit pricey
Slightly has ideas above its station

Overall this hotel falls between 2 stools. Nowhere near cheap enough for a functional hotel but not nice enough to be posh

However I enjoyed my stay all the same but just OK

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TheGP
James P, General Manager at Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear TheGP,

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your review of Rowhill Grange.

I was sorry to learn you felt the hotel did not represent good value for money and to hear you found the bed uncomfortable. All our rooms are furnished to a high standard and we have a rolling programme of decorative works to ensure standards are maintained. I cannot tell from you user name which room you stayed in while you were with us, but if you wish to contact me directly, I would be very happy to investigate your feedback further.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your constructive comments and positive feedback about the quality of our food offering and the team here at the hotel.

Once again, thank you for posting your review and if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Swanley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I treated ourselves for an Anniversary night away and chose Rowhill. As Rowhill newbies we were shown around and nothing was too much trouble for the superb staff! The Spa was so relaxing and very much needed. A+ all round! Thank you and we will definitely be back.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
15 Thank MsPenelopeL
Dear Megberrycup,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and submit your recent review of Rowhill Grange & Utopia Spa.

I was really pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your short stay with and to receive such positive comments about the members of the team you came into contact with. Your kind words make their efforts all the more worthwhile.

Once again, thank you and I hope I am able to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Chatham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

This was the first time I'd used a 'spa' venue and chose the overnight stay and my package included £50 towards spa treatments each and £30 towards dinner. The room was glorious - massive bed, very comfortable, beautiful bathroom complete with spa products. Our hairdryer didn't work but after a quick call to reception a brand new appliance was delivered to our door within seconds.
The spa itself was smaller than I expected, and my partner felt the artwork was a bit 'Disney' but I felt it added to the relaxing ambience of the place. I think I would be bored if I had spent more than 2 days, as there is only one steam room, a jacuzzi and 2 pool areas, and a sauna in each of the 2 changing rooms. In summer it would be nice to walk the grounds but the weather didn't suit on my trip.
The food was lovely - couldn't fault it. Had a lovely time here and would recommend to family/friends for a nearby spa experience.

17 Thank Rosiec211
James P, General Manager at Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Dear Rosiec211,

Thank you so much for publishing your review of Rowhill Grange & Utopia Spa.

I was very pleased to hear how quickly we replaced your hairdryer and to read such positive and kind comments about the other aspects of your stay with us. Please be assured I will share the content of your review with the team here at the hotel.

I do hope we are able to welcome you back to Rowhill Grange soon.

Sandy, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 78,696 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

While staying with our family who have recently moved to Hextable, we visited the Rowhill Grange, where we had booked for afternoon tea and decided to have a glass of champagne beforehand. On arrival, we received a very warm welcome from the staff before being taken to our table.

There was a good selection of finger sandwiches available. All the sandwiches were freshly made and you could choose which type of tea you preferred. There was a variety of cakes and pastries and delicious home-baked scones accompanied by generous bowls of strawberry jam and clotted cream.

The service we received from start to finish was exemplary. We were very impressed with all the staff, who were courteous and efficient and could not have been more helpful. The food and drinks were professionally served with a smile and we were made to feel very welcome. We all thoroughly enjoyed our sandwiches, cakes and pastries and had a very relaxing couple of hours.

We can highly recommend the Rowhill Grange for afternoon tea. The next time we are in the Hextable area with our family, we will definitely be visiting the hotel again for Sunday lunch or an evening meal.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
500 Thank Sandygranny
James P, General Manager at Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Sandygranny,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of Afternoon Tea here at Rowhill Grange.

I was thrilled to read such positive comments about your afternoon with us and your kind comments make the teams efforts all the more worthwhile.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next time you are visiting Hextable and if I can help with your reservation, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind regards

Ashford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

We chose to visit Rowhill Grange using a Groupon voucher, which included an overnight stay in a classic room, spa access, breakfast and £30 each towards dinner (excluding drinks). We could check in from 3pm, but checked in at about 4.30pm. We had previously upgraded to a luxury junior suite (one below the top). The check in staff were okay, not particularly smiley and didn't explain much to us- they asked us for a credit or debit card and charged us £100 but didn't tell us what for (we found out later). A member of staff took us down to our room, which was not actually part of the main building, but in another building. The man did not carry our bag, which for a 4* hotel, I was quite surprised about.

Upon arrival, I have to say that we were quite disappointed with our room. We were expecting luxury (the clue's in the name of the suite, 'luxury junior suite.') The room had the odd area where the wallpaper was peeling off, the carpet hadn't been hoovered properly and the furniture was pretty shabby, scratched and chipped. There were some stains on the bed linen too. The bed appeared to be a massive double bed at first sight, but as we soon found out, was two large singles pushed together- there was a big dip down the middle. The bathroom, however, was beautiful. We had a bath, shower, two sinks and a toilet- there was lots of space. There were two bathrobes in or bathroom too- but they are quite rough so if you like a fluffy robe, like me, take your own.

The room was advertised as having a selection of magazines and books; but these are very old books, and the magazines are things like 'Kent Life.' It was also advertised that rooms have a large plasma TV, which in reality is a Sharp widescreen, smaller than a 32 inch, and had no TV guide option on it, so you have to flick through the channels to find something to watch.

We decided to take a trip to the sauna, and we did so and were very pleased. We did not walk down in our slippers and dressing gown, however. Maybe we are prudish, but it just felt 'wrong' to do this in a 4* hotel. The spa is beautiful, smells lovely, and the water is lovely and warm. The ceiling is caving it at places, however. The staff were a little abrupt, however. We didn't have treatments, as they are very expensive.

After chilling out here, we went back to our room for a shower and then headed down for dinner. We had opted to eat in the bar and grill, as the restaurant menu was too 'posh' for our liking. We are chips and burger type of people. We had burger and chips, and chicken and chips. The food was amazing, and the service was absolutely fantastic. massive hats off to the waiter in the light blue tie- we tipped him as he was so friendly, professional and well mannered. The staff in the bar really could not do enough for you. The bar and grill is very relaxing, maybe a tad cold. I just wish other guests could stick to the rules of the hotel and NOT wear their dressing gowns and slippers after 6.30pm when other people are trying to enjoy an evening meal. It seems inappropriate to be surrounded by dressing gown clad people when you're trying to eat. We also felt a 12.5% service charge was extortionate- it should be down to guests to decide whether they leave a tip or not. We probably would have left £10 if we had not been charged for service.

We spent the evening in our room, watching TV and just generally chilling out. we ordered room service; sandwiches, tea cakes and drinks. Room service is chargeable at £5 per time- again I don't really see why. But the room service staff are pleasant, and very polite. It was also very quick.

We were on the bottom floor, and had the external door by our far window. people banged this all night, stomped up the stairs and clattered around overhead, constantly waking me up. Also, someone seemed to be pulling a trolley around outside for about fifteen minutes at 2am?!?!

The following morning, we were served breakfast to our room, and after we had washed and dressed, went to the restaurant where we had a full English, plus all the extras. The food was wonderful, and the restaurant is nicely set out, maybe a little bit cramped.

We would definitely go back to this hotel, but I would request a different room. I certainly didn't find it luxurious, although the rest of the hotel definitely was.

Room Tip: Go for the most expensive you can afford. And if you are not a Groupon customer and are paying full...
32 Thank cemma15
Dear Cemma 15,

Thank you very much indeed for posting your comprehensive review of Rowhill Grange and Utopia Spa.

I was very sorry to hear we did not carry your bags to your room. This is one of our core standards and one I will be reiterating with our Front of House team. I have also noted your comments about the fabric of your room and will be addressing these with our Maintenance team.

I was very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your time in the Spa and was delighted to hear about your experience in the Brasserie. The kitchen and food & beverage team are a real credit to the hotel and I was thrilled to hear the food and service provided lived up to expectations. Please accept my reassurances that I will be sharing your kind comments with them.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to publish your review and I do hope we are able to welcome you back in the very near future.

Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

We booked an overnight spa break package. It wasn't a cheap break (even the packages are eye watering!), but as we were celebrating, we mind paying a bit more. From the moment we arrived, to the moment we left, the service was excellent. On arrival we were upgraded to a Master Suite, although if I'm honest the sitting room wasn't used, and it was freezing cold! We'd have been just as happy in the room we had originally booked. We had booked a champagne afternoon tea. Fantastic sandwiches, scones and macaroons, but the cakes were a bit so-so. The spa is beautiful, although we did feel as though we had walked into an episode of The Only Way is Essex! The treatments were mixed. Fantastic massage, but the facial was disappointing. I told the therapist I have sensitive skin. She used two masks that both burned my skin, and when I asked politely both times if she could remove them, she suggested I keep them on for at least 5 more minutes! I'm glad I asked if she could remove them straightaway as the next day my skin was red and looked burned. She was very nice about it though, so I can't fault the service.
Dinner was delicious, but we did ask to eat in the Brasserie as RG's restaurant didn't feel as intimate. The Brasserie felt more so - sound from other tables doesn't carry in the same way, and the decor is much more warm and inviting than RG's, which is fairly bland. A good night's sleep was had. I don't usually sleep well in beds other than my own, but I slept like a log. The bed was so comfortable! Breakfast was plentiful and a fantastic variety of cooked breakfasts is on offer - eggs benedict, waffles, kippers, etc. the scrambled eggs with smoked salmon were perfectly cooked.
So, you might wonder why I haven't given the hotel a perfect score. Well, I'll tell you why. The service was excellent. However, the hotel info in the room said that while tips are kindly received by staff, they are not expected. I suggest the hotel revise their policy as service charges were automatically added to our afternoon tea and evening meal! The staff were well-deserving of both tips,mans we would have tipped voluntarily, but it's a bit of a cheek for a hotel to state that tips are not expected and then add them automatically! The only irritation in an otherwise wonderful break.

Room Tip: Suites aren't really worth paying extra for unless you are planning to stay for a few days.
26 Thank exiguusmus
James P, General Manager at Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of your recent stay here at Rowhill Grange.
I was delighted to read you positive comments about our food offering, spa treatments and the service provided by the team.

I am concerned about your comments about the facial and masks and will certainly bring this matter to the attention of our Spa Manager. I have also noted your comment about service charges and am very sorry for any offence caused – This is certainly not our intention.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to pass on your comprehensive and constructive feedback and I do hope we are able to welcome you back to Rowhill Grange in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed here back in November as part of a package that included and though the staff were friendly and eager to please, delivery of basic things let the hotel down. We had an issue with the safe and the sink, both of which were addressed quickly but upon examination, both needed further parts or attention and the maintenance team left to seek parts. They never returned despite enquiries at the front desk to ask if they might seek to finish the job they started.

Secondly at dinner ( great food, superb service ) , a fellow diner and her guest were patently drunk and continued to talk loudly ( and lewdly ) to each other and then upon receiving mobile phones which we were told were banned from the dining area. It really took the edge off what should have been a lovely dinner but was ruined by other guests poor behaviour that was turned a blind eye to.

I would recommend the spa and hotel to anyone but be aware that the integrity of the staff cannot be relied upon.

Room Tip: Try and avoid a room overlooking the back as there is noise from the kitchen. A dull hum.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
James P, General Manager at Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience of Rowhill Grange & Utopia Spa.

I am very sorry for the faults you found with the sink and safe in your room that we did not keep you informed as to when these would be remedied. I will certainly address these comments with our Front of House and Maintenance teams.

I was also very sorry to hear about the behaviour of the other guests in the restaurant. I agree entirely that this is unacceptable and am very sorry this spoilt your evening.
Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback and if there is anything further I can be of assistance with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

James
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartford
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
The Spa Hotel
The Spa Hotel
#2 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
Mercure Dartford Brands Hatch Hotel & Spa
Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa
DoubleTree by Hilton Dartford Bridge

Been to Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!