“Lovely couples break using secret escapes”

Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Dartford
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Lovely couples break using secret escapes”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed here for a few days away as a couple using a secret escapes deal. Was absolutely perfect. When we arrived we were told we had been upgraded to a suit which was fantastic, though it was a bit hot and we had to have the window open almost constantly. Had dinner in the restaurant on the first night, I do feel the food is over priced for what it is. Luckily however we had some money off our meal with our SE deal so wasn't too bad. Used the spa on the second day, though we didn't have any treatments I can say the pools were lovely and relaxing.
Bluewater is only a 15-20 minute drive away. Rather than spend a fortune on dinner again we went there for a meal which worked out well as the shops are open late and there is a cinema.
Staff through out the visit were friendly and helpful and I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Thank you for a wonderful couple of days

4 Thank M R
James P, General Manager at Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear M R,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience of Rowhill Grange on Trip Advisor.

I was very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your two night break with us and to read such positive comments about the Spa.

I very much hope I am able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Kind regards

James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

A friend had told us about Rowhill Grange, so my wife and I decided to visit for a short break.

The quality of service, food, surroundings and especially staff was superb. The room was very high quality and extremely relaxing.

We used the Spa as well which was very efficient and again great staff.

We ate in the restaurant in the evening - amazing menu and wonderful presentation.

We were greeted in the morning at breakfast by our names even before the room number had been checked – again very impressive. (Breakfast was freshly cooked rather than a buffet which had been sitting there for hours!)

Even the weather was brilliant - there was nothing to fault.

We will be re-booking very soon!

6 Thank ammbatch
Dear ammbatch,

Thank you very much for posting your recent review of Rowhill Grange.

We were delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your short break with us. Please be assured that your comments will be shared with the team here at the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed here during April as we needed a break after losing my husbands father. It was amazing. Friendly, helpful staff, wonderful spa and spa treatments. Food fit for a king. Ended up with a hefty bill for the treatments, but overall a fantastic, heavenly break. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank AliHowe
Dear AliHowe,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of Rowhill Grange on Trip Advisor.

I was thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and to read such positive comments about the food and service from the team.

I very much hope I am able to welcome you back in the near future.

Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

So firstly the room we had was not exactly in the best condition, mould growing on the ceiling above the shower. The towels old and fraying with holes. The head board on the bed scratched, along with the wallpaper above. The bed we had was two single beds put together, which was uncomfortable to sleep on. Also there was two single duvets put together in one sheet to give the illusion of one big duvet, this was also annoying as they kept separating.
I don't feel that this is a luxury room in a 4 star hotel.

More over I am more upset, disappointed and embarrassed about dining in the restaurant, this was for a special occasion that I had booked for my fiancé. We we're not notified by email when we booked through the website about a dress code for the restaurant. We have also been on the website and can not find a dress code.
It was very embarrassing as it was in front of a long que of people we were looked up and down by the restaurant manager and we were turned away and made to eat in the corner of the club lounge, we were pushed to the corner of the room making us feel not welcome and well away from anyone to see us. All of this was because we we're wearing trainers. If we we're correctly informed that we had to wear smart shoes we would have brought the right attire with us. Upon sitting down in the club lounge, we we're very upset. I decided to go to the reception and talk to some one, the front of house manager on duty had informed me that I was wrong and that the dress code was on my email confirmation. I had my email confirmation printed (from Travel Zoo and Alexander Hotels) which I then showed both to the manager, none of the dress code information was on any of these. I was then told it was Travel Zoo's fault that they did not tell me the correct attire, however it is Alexander Hotels responsibility to advertise correctly. The manager then told me that the correct attire is clearly written on the website, searching through the website for an hour I still did not found any information on this.
We were then told that we would find the dress code information in our room, what good is this when you have travelled over an hour to get to the hotel? The front of house manager also informed us that it was their policy that we couldn't go into the restaurant with trainers, we previously stayed in the other hotel, Alexander Hotel and Utopia spa and they allowed this.

To add on to this embarrassment and upset we then saw a group of people, with one man wearing trainers who was happily greeted into the restaurant.

When returning home I called to complain again, the front of house manager asked me to send photos of the room to them and I also sent them an attachment of their website showing no dress code for the restaurant.
I never had a response after 6 days, i checked the website and they had decided to change their website with a dress code but not bother to call me and deal with my complaint. I called up again to complain and spoke to a very lovely man who dealt with my complaint straight away and issued me with a full refund for my terrible stay. I would not recommend staying here as the front of house manager was very rude, snobby and talked down on me.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AshleyandYasmin
Dear AshleyandYasmin,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review.

I was bitterly disappointed to receive your feedback and was particularly sorry to hear about the poor attitude you encountered when speaking with members of the team here at the hotel.

If you would like to contact me directly, I would be very happy to discuss your feedback in more detail and address your concerns.

I hope to hear from you in the near future.

Codicote, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Called to book my Christmas gift and was told was fully booked! But when I looked on spa deals on last minute.com saw that there was availability for the same as my package! So called and they would not book me unless I paid the £400+. Totally disgusted with this con and feel all they care about is making more money and not honouring the customers that have already paid! Will NEVER go on principle and due to the rudeness of manager cannot see how this can be a relaxing environment!

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank karenjordan1983
Dear Karejordan1983,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback.

Whilst I was disappointed to hear we were unable to accomodate you on your preferred date, I would assure you the date you were enquiring about was full to outside parties. We try our utmost to strike a balance between guests who have booked a Spa Day with us directly and those that have purchased via one of our third party partners and the date requested was unavailable.

I am very sorry you felt our approach was unreasonable.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

First to the good bits - the spa here is quite simply amazing. The design to make it look like a sunken Roman baths is simply superb, I could spend all day there and in fact would have done if I didn't have to leave.

The staff are very friendly and efficient, the server at breakfast on the second day remembered our order from the first day and asked simply if we would like the same again. In addition, when I enquired about dining in the brasserie on the second night but wanted a wine from the wine list in the restaurant, not only did the bartender say that wasn't a problem, he had the exact wine ready for our dinner that evening.

The room we stayed in was very hot, too hot to get a good nights sleep and as we were on a ground floor room I wasn't happy leaving a window open. There was also no water in the room. I don't understand why the room was so hot, we were in a room that didn't have the sun in the evening and it had at least two external walls.

The food in both the restaurant and the brasserie was best described as up-market grill food, nothing particularly creative whatsoever ... standard steak and chips. It was also incredibly expensive, especially as the restaurant adds on a 12.5% tip. The bill was over £110 for two steaks and an average bottle of wine, we were on a week break deal from a third party website that made the bill come down to what is, in my view, reasonable.

Dear Malefacent,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your constructive feedback on Trip Advisor.

Whilst I was very pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay and to read such positive comments about the Spa and service from the team, I was disappointed to learn of the temperature issues in your room.

Please do feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if you would like to discuss this matter any further.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I went recently as a treat for my sisters birthday, and was not too impressed, I have been here before at Christmas and it was great, but the levels of service were not very high at all for what you pay. The staff seemed very new - all of them, and we had to repeat our orders a few times until it was correct. The hotel is beautiful and the setting is so lovely, but there should be someone taking charge of the dining facillies and it seemed like there was not a manger present as when you needed something you had to wait to see a waiter, the presence of a manager is always a good thing and they should be noticing these little errors and guiding the staff. I think with some more training or a manager on hand these things would make it a far more plesant experience, as there is a lot of potential there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear LucyDavies80,

Thank you very much for your review of Afternoon Tea.

I was very sorry to hear your experience fell short of previous visits and will most certainly be taking your constructive feedback to the Food & Beverage team here at the hotel.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally should you be looking to make another reservation and I will be very happy to oversee your reservation requirements.

James
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartford
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
The Spa Hotel
The Spa Hotel
#2 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa
Mercure Dartford Brands Hatch Hotel & Spa
DoubleTree by Hilton Dartford Bridge

Been to Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!