Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa
US$110
  • Pool
US$97
US$89
Holiday Inn Express London - Dartford(Dartford)(Great Value!)
US$61
HIExpress.com
US$60
US$51
Priceline
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Dartford(Dartford)(Great Value!)
US$70
PremierInn.com
Travelodge Dartford(Dartford)(Great Value!)
US$68
Travelodge
Holiday Inn London-Bexley(Bexley)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$75
HolidayInn.com
US$92
  • Pool
Ibis London Thurrock(Grays Thurrock)
US$65
US$61
PremierInn.com
1,780 results
All reviewsafternoon tealuxury roomfull body massagesteam roomalexander houserg's restauranttherapy poolchanging roomsbirthday treatelements barsister hotelfinger sandwichesmy mumrobes and slippersrelaxing breaktreatment roomsan overnight stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We booked a spa day through Virgin for 2 people £99 including a lunch for my 30th birthday. We booked our own treatments and were not able to pick the times for these as they were chosen by Rowhill staff. The treatments are overpriced!

When we arrived the staff seemed dismissive and rude towards us. They took a long time before they would interact or help us to check-in. Then there were issues that we used a voucher!

Once we finally got into the spa we were disappointed as there was an aqua session going on in the pool, which meant it was not a relaxing experience with loud music and an instructor using a microphone. The facilities were outdated and the jaccuzi pool was high in chlorine levels, which meant that it was uncomfortable to use. The spa was open to members and the building used for other functions etc. this was awkward when walking around in a dressing gown. The general atmosphere was not relaxing or comfortable.

Rowhill Grange is trying to be something it is not as the website promotes a high end, beautiful spa etc. The building and grounds are stunning; however the spa and the staff that we met did not leave a positive impression.

The food was okay but the person that was serving us food was immature and unhelpful. He offered us both water with our meals, brough us out 2 bottles with our food but did not explain that these would total £7. We did not pay this as we were not advised that this was an additional cost.

To put it into context we have been to many spas of many different types/styles. This spa is overpriced for what it is and needs modernising before it can charge these prices. We will certainly not go again and not recommend this to anyone else...don't trust the website!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Xanthe M
James P, General Manager at Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Xanthe M,

Thank you for posting your recent review.

Obviously we were disappointed to receive your comments and I am very sorry you did not feel our treatments represented good value. We do believe the quality of all our treatments are to a very high standard and look to ensure these are competitively priced.

I should also like to apologise if you felt the staff were in any way rude and dismissive. This should never be the case and I agree entirely that this is never acceptable.

I'm sorry we were not the Spa for you.

Best regards

Reviewed 12 June 2014

This was a birthday treat coupled with our use of a gift of a spa day and coincided with a trip to London. We loved the place from the moment we drove up the drive and were met by a fox crossing the road! The service was excellent, the spa luxurious and the food superb. We had a great time and would return tomorrow if we could.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jeremy S

Dear Jeremy S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your recent review.

I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and we very much hope we are able to welcome you back to Rowhill Grange in the near future.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I paid £100 for myself and my partner to go for a spa day for our anniversary. On arrival we were given what they described as 'complimentary' tea and coffee (from the amount of money I had paid, the £100 did not include spa treatments, I thought tea and coffee might be just included not made out to be complimentary). The spa itself is very nice; two different types of pool, a hot tub and access to a gym. The locker rooms were nice, although the locker system was a bit tricky for the men, and everything was clean and well presented. Lunch was included on the day however this is where we were a bit put out. We were told earlier in the day, when we made our lunch orders, that only two courses are included in payment and you would have to pay for the dessert (which are £7/8 each for mainly sorbet!). Also, as it turns out, no drinks are included with lunch, even water. The waiter asked if we wanted still or sparkling water so I assumed it was included; we were given two large bottles of water over lunch. Lunch came quickly, however it was a bit hit and miss. My partner ordered Chicken salad however it was literally some leaves and chunk of chicken plonked on top, barely any dressing or any other salad. We enjoyed the rest of our afternoon and went to pay for the two soft drinks we had had over the day. It turns out that £3.50 had been added for each of the bottles of water we had had at lunch. We asked the lady to take it off which she did because we were not told that they were going to cost anything (certainly not that much) and we were not offered any alternative like tap water. All in all, we enjoyed our day however I do feel like we paid for glorified swimming pool and I do feel slightly robbed. The hotel was nice but is definitely charging too much for treatments, drinks and spa days. For £100, we got six hours access to some swimming facilities, and two not all that lunch courses with not even water included. I don't know what is like to stay at, but the spa days are not good value for money at all.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cd242

Dear Cd242,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and share your feedback.

I was sorry you did not feel your day represented value for money and to read your comments about the charges made for water, difficulties experience with the lockers and to hear you felt our treatments were overpriced.

I was pleased to read that our Reception team adjusted your bill and removed the charge for water and would also like to assure you that since your visit, all our lockers in our male changing rooms have been updated.

Once again, thank you for your constructive comments.

Best regards

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights on a DBB basis in 'Rose' - arrived and had afternoon tea before checking in. It was pleasant enough but a bit disappointing compared to others we have recently had. The cake selection was very bland and small. Was checked in by a very brusque young man but his manner was forgotten when we were helped by 'John' who took us to our room - the gentleman on reception could learn a thing or two from John with regards to professionalism and customer service! Our room was nicely decorated and comfortable as was the bathroom but the shower area could do with a bit of a clean up, especially on the ceiling! We had massages and reflexology booked so made our way to the Spa. The massages were good but was disappointed with the hard sell approach to buying products, not something I have come across in other spa's. My reflexology was superb. The lady was called Caroline and she was excellent and one of the best I have ever had ( I have had reflexology since the 1980's ) She was spot on with regards to my health issues and it was a thoroughly professional job. The spa itself is on 2 floors with the pool upstairs by the gym and the jacuzzi and hydro pool downstairs. Was not a relaxing atmosphere as was quite noisey but the pools were great and also had lots of loungers to choose from. We enjoyed a cocktail enroute back to the room ( £13 for a Dacquiri tho! ) and then returned to the bar for a relaxed meal. Not a huge selection but the food was good enough. We had breakfast in our room the next morning which was particularly nice and arrived on time. We spent the day out and about but returned to have dinner in RG's restaurant. Our meal was superb - pricey but superb. Must mention John and Luke in the restaurant and Jack in the bar who are the epitome of service, professional, friendly and courteous without being intrusive. We had a walk around the grounds before heading to bed and in the morning had breakfast in RG's. Breakfast again, like room service was good. Not a huge selection but all very nice. Only criticism I would have is that it was DIY to cook toast on those frustration slow cooking rolling toasters. For the money paid, a few slices of toast brought along with the tea or coffee may of been a nice touch. Upon checkout, the lady there was far more friendlier than the gentleman who checked us in. Overall, would I recommend going.. Yes I would. It is pricey and there are a few niggly things which could be improved upon but overall, it was a nice break away, the spa is lovely, the food is lovely and the majority of the staff too.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank mads335
James P, General Manager at Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Mads335,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience of Rowhill Grange & Utopia Spa on Trip Advisor.

I was very sorry to hear you were unhappy with the quality of our Afternoon Tea and especially the cake selection and will most certainly be sharing these comments with our Chef. I am also disappointed you felt the Therapists were being pushy in terms of trying to sell you products and would like to offer my personal apologies for this situation. I agree this should not have been the case and am very sorry.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your other constructive feedback about the service you received from the team and will be sure to share the content of your review with them.

I do hope we are able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

My wife & I decided we needed a couple of days to relax & get away from our daily routines.
We chose Rowhill grange as we have previously visited a sister hotel, Alexander house.

We knew from friends that have previously been to Alexander house ,that the Utopia Spa is truly superb.
Rowhill grange is located in a beautiful setting amongst 15 acres of land close to Dartford.
It's a lovely building which has been beautifully extended over the years by its current owners who we found out were previously interior designers. Quite apparent!!

We arrived a little early so my wife & I had some lunch in the bar area.
After lunch we checked in & were shown up to our room by John, the porter who I must say would fit in nicely in one of the top London hotels, as nothing was too much trouble for him & very helpful & courteous.

Our room was wonderful,spacious & very clean, as one would expect.
My only criticism if only minor, is the lighting in the room.
The bed side light only stays on if the main lights are on!!
Easily rectified by an electrician!!

As I said, a minor observation which had no reflection on the rest of the room.

The Utopia Spa is a truly wonderful experience. Totally relaxing and fabulous decor throughout.
The facilities are superb, the nicest we have experienced for some time.

Though out the whole stay, all the staff were very friendly, with a big thank you to Marvin in the RG restaurant.

We will most certainly return to Rowhill Grange.

Room Tip: I am sure all the rooms are on equal measures, our room was the Wild rose!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank chunky310

Dear chunky310,

Thank you very much for your review of Rowhill Grange.

I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us.

I would also like to thank you for your positive feedback about John and Marvin and will ensure they are both made aware of your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.