“Good and Bad.......”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Dartford
Romford, England, United Kingdom
“Good and Bad.......”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I booked a stay for my friend and i to enjoy an overnight stay with use of all the Spa facilities. We arrived late in the afternoon after hitting M25 bad traffic. Reception check in left a lot to be desired......not too friendly, in fact the reception greeting was a lot cooler than the temperature outside that is for sure! Shown to our room.....'Geranium'......i had my concerns before i even arrived as i had read various reviews on Trip advisor. When the door opened to the room a strong 'old' smell greeted us and the room was clean but so old fashioned! I felt disappointed :( ...the rooms shown on the website are far superior. The Spa facilities were good and my friend and i enjoyed and relaxed. Dinner....we opted for the more relaxed dining and the food and service were really good. I felt a little cheated that my friend and i had an allowance of £30 each for an evening meal and although we didn't spend all of it we were still presented with a bill to pay for a service charge! The gentleman who served our evening meal was extremely pleasant. We retired to our twin room and a very difficult nights sleep was had.....so hot in the room and no fan/air conditioning! The following morning my friend and i awoke early to make the most of the spa facilities before breakfast as check out was quite early (11am). Breakfast was faultless. Delicious, fresh and relaxing. My friend and i walked the beautiful grounds after breakfast as we were blessed with beautiful sunshine. Overall our stay was very nice but as a special treat from me to my friend for her 40th Birthday i would have liked it to have been a little more special. A better room would have made all the difference. I will be back Rowhill, however i will be looking for a much better room and not something that reminded me of a 'Nursing Home'!! I booked my break through Secret Escapes and value for money......not bad! I am a busy mum to seven children and when i want to take a break and relax i want the best! I hope this honest review helps others x x

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Frances S
James P, General Manager at Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Frances S,

Thank you very much for your review of Rowhill Grange & Utopia Spa.

I was disappointed you were unhappy with your room and very sorry the team did not advise you of the fans we provide to all our rooms. I am also sorry you felt the service charge was unreasonable and would assure you this is only payable at the customers discretion and if entirely satisfied with the service received.

Once again, thank you for your constructive comments and I do hope we are able to welcome you back on a future occasion.

James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Kent
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Visited this afternoon with 4 friends for a birthday afternoon tea and weren't disappointed

Attentive, friendly service and plenty of food.

We chose the Traditional Afternoon Tea, and we were served:
- 4 types of sandwich - Egg , Smoked Salmon , Cream Cheese & Cucumber and Ham - all delicious , only comment maybe a bit mean with the Egg filling and over-zealous with the smoked salmon !

- 4 different cakes - a lovely strawberry tart , Bakewell slice , Carrot cake and Macaroom , all very tasty

- 2 tasty little Scones each with clotted cream and jam (which was a bit too runny but not worth complaining about at the time)

Plenty of tea and coffee , happily served us extra , and we all enjoyed a glass of champagne too

They also offer a Chocolate Afternoon Tea and from what we saw it was exactly the same sandwiches and scones that we enjoyed but the cakes were chocolate based.

12.5% automatically added onto bill was a bit of a cheek we thought , would prefer to leave a tip as we see fit but other than that , very happy with out visit.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Carole-Anne C
Dear Kentish_Clarks Kent,

Thank you very much for your recent review of Afternoon Tea here at Rowhill Grange.

We were delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your afternoon with us and I will be sure to share the content of your review with the team here at the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The Spa Weekend was a surprise from my partner to help me relax after a few stressfull weeks and it worked, the surroundings were beautiful, room was amazing so was the treatment and food.
The staff were pleasant and very helpful and look forward to going again.

Room Tip: We had the master bedroom but have had a standard room before both were good.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandra H
Dear Sandra H,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of Rowhill Grange & Utopia Spa.

We were thrilled to hear how your Spa Break provided the ideal tonic after a stressful time of it and will be sure to share the content of your review with the rest of the team here at the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

This spa day was a belated birthday treat for me and I was accompanied by my husband and son. We booked their package with an added treatment each. We spent the whole day from 10am to 6pm at the venue.
Firstly all the staff we encountered - reception, restaurant and spa were polite and helpful. My husband and I had massages and facials, my son had a massage and male pedicure. The treatment rooms were clean and comfortable and we felt extremely relaxed. The only down side was my son said his pedicure felt rushed with the therapist frequently looking at her watch. The spa did not seem very busy but just 5 ladies in the changing rooms were very cramped. Many of the lockers appeared to be not working or indeed broken as the door fell off one. My husband and son had to request towels and robes as they were not in their lockers. Our time in the pool area was a little spoiled by a few people hogging facilities. 2 ladies were in the small jacuzzi chatting for over an hour. I appreciate this is not the spa's problem as such.
The 2 course set lunch was pleasant but very limited. I declined a glass of wine at £7.00 for a 125ml glass.
So, in summary the spa is pleasant but the facilities are tired. The staff are friendly but the prices are far too high for standard of food and premises.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Kay C
Dear Kay C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review.

I was very pleased to read your positive comments about the team here at the hotel. I am very sorry the robes and towels were not present in your husbands and sons lockers and will most certainly address this matter with our Spa Manager. I should also like to offer my personal apologies if your son felt we rushed his treatment in any way. This should never be the case as we take the quality of our treatments very seriously.

Once again, thank you very much for your constructive comments.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

This beautiful "summer house" is set in stunning grounds. It has a tranquil, relaxing spa and pools and the staff are all very welcoming. Whilst it is expensive, in my personal opinion, it is money well spent. The food is exquisite and the place is the epitome of relaxation (what I came for).
The rooms are stunning, the beds cosy and the bathrooms spacious and relaxing.
The staff are friendly and inviting and very helpful.
I could go on and on about how amazing this beautiful house is but it's time to rest my weary head.

I can't wait to come back. What an absolute pleasure it has been! X

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank kristylrose
Dear Kristylrose,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of Rowhill Grange with the Trip Advisor community.

We were delighted to hear how much your enjoyed yourself and to receive such positive comments about all aspects of your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

A lovely day having afternoon tea in the conservatory - great staff really attentive. Food was lovely!

Looking forward to returning for a spa day after seeing the facilities - and maybe ebven a weekend break - the grounds are beautiful!

Saw a wedding party on the day which looked amazing!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank j k
Dear j k,

Delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea experience here at Rowhill Grange and to learn you are considering returning for a Spa day, of overnight Break. Please do not hesitate to contact us and we would be delighted to run through our current offers with you.

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Broadstairs, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Having paid £99 for a £250 room it is difficult to be too negative with our comments. However the rooms have no air conditioning which leaves the options of sleeping in an oven, or turning on the fan which has the noise factor of a jet engine. Whilst wifi works well in the communal areas, it was poor in our room
The drinks prices are astronomical, £32.00 for a bottle of mediocre rose is daylight robbery. Having chosen to eat in the bar I choose the Burger, which I must say was one of the best burgers I have ever eaten.
In general the prices do not reflect what is on offer. The hotel is no better that any of the top end chains offering larger, better equipped rooms at half the price.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank steve112dpd
Dear Steve112dpd,

Thank you very much for your review of Rowhill Grange.

Obviously I am disappointed you did not feel your stay represented value for money and that we are not the hotel for you. I have relayed your comments about wifi coverage to our IT team and will be retesting all areas of the property.

James
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartford
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
The Spa Hotel
The Spa Hotel
#2 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells
DoubleTree by Hilton Dartford Bridge
Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
Mercure Dartford Brands Hatch Hotel & Spa

Been to Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!