“Surprise Find- Absolute heaven!”

Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Dartford
Shropshire
“Surprise Find- Absolute heaven!”
Reviewed 28 April 2010

This is a top spot for either a real Spa break or if you are a business traveller. The staff are fantastic and go out of their way to help. The hotel is hidden away in lovely gardens- a real treat from the Dartford hell. Good food too.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank ShropshireDreamer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
UK
Reviewed 7 April 2010

The initial impression was very favourable, an attractive building set in large and beautiful gardens, we even had to wait for a fox to move off the drive. Reception was fine, and a friendly man showed us our room. The room was adequate, but had a view of a flat roof only, (as the hotel was nearly empty one feels that there must have been a more attractive outlook). The bathroom was partly wall-papered, never a good idea, as the paper was starting to peel. The room was clean and facilities were adequate, although two cheap teabags only seemed a bit penny-pinching.

Truffles restaurant was closed as it was a Tuesday, so we ate in Elements. Frankly the meal was disappointing, portions generally small, although we do not have large appetites. My wife's steak was appalling, difficult to cut even with a steak knife, and of average flavour desite the £6 supplement. This was mentioned to one of the staff and should have resulted in the courtesy of an apology from someone in authority, but this was not forthcoming. My wife then chose the cheese for dessert, including a £2 supplement, this was three small portions of unexciting cheese served with some cheap biscuits, cream crackers included. Frankly for a meal that with a bottle of "cheap" wine totalled £102, this suggested that standards are slipping and there is an ill-advised policy of cutting corners in place.

The junior staff generally were helpful and very friendly.

Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
I-Heath, General Manager at Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, 21 April 2010
Thank you for taking the time to add your review to TripAdvisor.

Your feedback is very unusual. I was naturally very surprised to read your review especially after the telephone call I made to you at home on the day of your departure offering my apologies to the feedback you left on one of our guest questionnaires.

Most guests staying with us for a special night away on one of our spa escapes make use of our room service options at some point, ensuring they completely relax and unwind. To this degree the delivery of hot beverages to rooms is very popular. We do find that tea and coffee making facilities in our rooms are rarely used however should guests prefer to use this facility and require replenishments prior to their room being serviced this is available, free of charge, as detailed on the card provided on the hospitality tray.

Prior to your visit we had been working on some changes to our food and beverage department. Our restaurants have now become one, offering an extensive menu to suit all tastes. Feedback since the charges as remained extremely positive with our most regular guests liking the ‘flexibility’ of the new menu. Supplements are now a thing of the past, our cheese offering has been extended to eight different varieties and cheese biscuits have since been changed.

Once again thank you for your feedback.
Maidstone, Kent
Reviewed 6 April 2010

I celebrated a special birthday in the Small Lounge at Rowhill Grange Hotel with Afternoon Tea for my family and friends. I must say that I was delighted with the venue, the setting of the house and buildings in the large, well kept grounds is lovely. The Afternoon Tea was really good with fresh finger sandwiches, nice warm scones with cream and jam and lovely cakes. The staff were really attentive, moving in and out from time to time quietly. I would highly recommend this experience.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank SWMaidstone
kent
Reviewed 20 March 2010

I have just come back from Rowhill, i would definitely recommend to friends and family, the pool, room, restaurant and the treatments were really lovely. ( recommend my kinda skin facial beautiful).
The only thing i would say on a slight negative was the lamps were a bit dull for reading.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank may028
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2010

My company booked this for me as my usual hotel was fully booked. Was very impressed with the hotel decor and ambience and nothing was too much trouble for the staff.
The room was booked via laterooms at a very favourable rate. I would not have paid their list price for a business trip.
The food was of a good quality but was not cheap!
The room was lovely and facilities were great,
Would definatley stay here again if booked at a discounted rate.
Would make a great wedding venue.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank LS25
Kent
Reviewed 6 March 2010

My 'stress buster' break was bought for me as a Valentines gift from my husband. I have recently had my 2nd baby and was really looking forward to a chill out and pamper.

Rowhill Grange is set in some beautiful grounds and the building is rather impressive. The reception is modern and airy, the receptionist made us very welcome and asked us several questions including whether we would like a newspaper in the morning, this was the start of Alexander Hotels trying to get as much money out of us as possible because the price of the newspaper was added to our bill at the end, something we weren't expecting.

We were lead up to our room by a very friendly man and on the surface the room looked gorgeous but the double bed had a sheet on (covered in holes) then two discoloured stained duvets on top and a 2nd holey sheet on top of the duvets, hardly luxurious!! The bathroom mirror also had mould growing on it. The room was hot and stuffy and neither of us slept well.

The spa was lovely, very relaxing. We really enjoyed our time by the pool and in the steam room. We had 3 treatments each which were lovely, the facial was especially gorgeous. One of the treatments I had was quite rushed because they were running late, but other than that the Spa was very good. Although I was surprised that even though we had paid lots of money to go to the Spa we still had to pay £2.95 for a herbal tea in a paper cup to have by the pool. Every other Spa I have been to have had inclusive hot drinks.

We later went down for dinner in Elements (apparently there are two restaurants in the hotel but we weren't offered a table at the Truffles, which was slightly disappointing). The restaurant was very posh, with an uncomfortable atmosphere, the kind where no one really speaks because you can hear everyones conversation. I had a goats cheese, roasted pepper and olive tappenade, which was a red pepper stuffed with warm, fluffy goats cheese with a tiny bit of pureed olive on the side. I ate it in about 5 bites and it cost me £7, very average! We then decided to have the steak which was £24, I was expecting something rather yummy but instead a very thin (less than 1cm) fatty piece of well done frying steak with about 10 'fat chips and some rocket was put down in front of me. Side dishes were extra. I decided against one of their £7 desserts having seen a tiny piece of chocolate cake go past, I thought I'd save the money, I didn't want to feel like this on my break away but I was constantly aware of the huge bill we were going to have when we checked out.
We took the remains of out bottle of wine to the bar (2nd cheapest bottle on the menu - £23.50) and sat in there alone! On a Friday night! There was absolutely no atmosphere and the bar staff couldn't even raise a smile. The bar is decorated like a boys bedroom, red, black and steel with the never ending sound of horrendous, cheesey wind instrument covers of famous songs (my personal favorite being a panpipe version of Don't cry for me Argentina!!). We are a young couple and felt about 60 in the bar, our lives were ebbing away so we went to bed at 9.40!!

All in all our break cost £551 for 1 night, we have left feeling pretty conned, for that money we could have had a midweek break at Center Parcs. To sum Rowhill Grange up I would say that everything costs extra and they are out to drain you for every penny they can. We definately won't be returning!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
I-Heath, Generl Manager at Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, 22 March 2010
Thank you for adding your review to trip advisor.

I am sincerely sorry for the quality of linen you found on your bed. Whilst this should have been picked up by the team before hand, naturally had you advised us we would have amended this immediately.

I was disappointed to read you comments on your meal. Generally we receive very positive feedback on our food. As per the confirmation sent to you after choosing your break online, your particular break was fully inclusive. No further meal charges were made to your overall account. I appreciate the hotel may have felt quieter that evening with the majority of guests attending a private function, it is unusual for so many residents to be attending a function as this is generally limited by us.

I have looked at and checked your account for you and see that overall your extras totalled £70 for which were for drinks and lunch throughout your stay over and above the break rate you had booked which was inclusive of your accommodation, breakfast, dinner, use of spa facilities and 6 treatments.

Whilst we do charge for newspapers, this is not inflated from the published rate and certainly not a way to generate revenue and is purely a service for our guests.

I was please to read how much you enjoyed your treatments and our new range of Temple Spa products.

Once again thank you for your feedback

Ian Heath
London
Reviewed 6 March 2010

I booked the Groombridge suite at Rowhill Grange as a suprise for my boyfriend's birthday, he really deserved to be spoilt, and being his first birthday we spent together it was really important everything was perfect. The room was abosolutely beautiful grande but at the same time very cosy and comfortable and the bathroom blew us awayTHe chilled champagne and fruit platter was waiting in our room (this was booked previously). I was reassured discretely, as the concierge had noted it was a birthday, that this was waiting in the room just as I had asked. We spent dinner in the Truffles restuarant, my food was excellent, the scallops were amazing, unfortunately my boyfriend was not too keen on his course but that was more of a matter of not reading exactly what he was ordering. We spent the next morning in the spa (i have already been to the spa so knew what to expect) As on my previous visit we had the main pool to ourselves and absolutely loved the jacuzzi and treatment pool, The extremely relaxed atmosphere, dim lighting and decor really hellped me, who at the time was quite stressed, to seriously chill, something i find quite hard. I wondered about how my boyfriend would going to a spa but he aboslutely loved it and neither of us wanted to leave. It was really romantic and we left feeling more like we had been away for a week rather than 1 night. I would definately reccomend the Groombridge suite for a romantic getaway, I have also stayed in a standard room however and if ones budget is not so high would highly recommend it. From what I have seen the quality and decor throughout is of a high standard. I will definately be coming back soon when a treat or serious chill out is in order. Thank you again Rowhill Grange :-))

Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank franyfroodle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartford
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
The Spa Hotel
The Spa Hotel
#2 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa
Mercure Dartford Brands Hatch Hotel & Spa
DoubleTree by Hilton Dartford Bridge

Been to Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!