“Excellent all round”

Ranked #1 of 107 Restaurants in Dartford
Price range: US$8 - US$18
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Fighting Cocks pub and Riverside restaurant is a multi award winning pub and restaurant. Twice in the last 5 years winning the Best Family and Best tenanted pub in the UK at The Great British pub awards.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We booked online, a table for 9 at 3:30, and even though I had an email confirming this, I got a phone call at 12:15 asking where we were - they had the booking as 12 noon. Was told not a problem though we'd be fitted in at 3:30.

Arrived and had to park in the road, as car park was heaving. Very friendly staff said the people on "our table" were just having dessert so we could wait until 3:45 to eat in the Conservatory, or we could have the "Chef's Table" on the outdoor patio.

We thought it might be hot in the conservatory - although one side of it has door which fully opened - so we opted for the outside Chef's Table, this also meant the children were free to run around as they wanted, and we received the same service and menu here as we would have in the main restaurant.

Food was wonderful. Husband had pie of the day, other adults had the roast dinner, kids ate off the kids menu. Youngest nephew had tomato pasta and declared it the best he'd ever had and wanted to come back so he could eat it all again!! Everything was beautifully cooked, well presented, and the vegetables were freshly cooked - roasties , courgette , carrots , red cabbage and a mash of carrot/swede. And we ordered extra cauliflower cheese which was fabulous. Everyone cleared their plates!

Lovely dessert menu, the kids enjoyed Chocolate fudge cake , Waffles , ice cream , although I only had room for a coffee.

Reasonable prices as well, we paid just under £120 for 9 of us.

They also have a huge outdoor area and there was a BBQ outside which was very busy. Kids play area well maintained and a pets area with rabbits, chickens etc.

Would recommend the Fighting Cocks to anyone, we will definitely be going back, and on a summers day definitely ask for the Chefs Table (but not on a day when we want it, LOL!!!!)

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Their website says 'fully refurbished' bar area but that must have been some time ago. The furniture looks very worn and weary, so that was a put off straight away so we did sit outside. There was a wedding reception when we arrived and the two staff at the bar were serving and it was pretty busy for a late afternoon. One of the bar staff was still in no rush to serve us she was more interested in having banter with a 'local' about how full he wanted his lager glass. Once the banter was over even though we were waiting she walked around the other side to serve from the wedding party. The two beers that were on were very good. First and last visit.

1  Thank MichH43
Chris M, Owner at The Fighting Cocks Pub and Riverside Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Thanks for the feedback Mich, sorry you felt we weren't up to the standards that you would have liked. The fact that it was busy, should hopefully tell you that we do more things right than wrong. I totally take your point about the chairs in the bar, They are being recovered in the autumn once we get a little quieter, but I need every chair I can get at the moment, as we are so busy. The Bar was totally refurbished though in February this year, when we closed for a week and spent £20,000 on the renovation, which included brand new pumps and lines, which you obviously acknowledged in your comment about your drinks being nice. If you do decide to visit again, after October time, the only thing that is worn in the building ( The Chairs) should all be covered. Many Thanks for your comments Chris

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Have visited with our family and partaken of the bar snacks on a couple of previous occasions - we had been more than pleased with this family and child-friendly village pub. So this week I booked a table to try out the restaurant. How I wish I had read the recent reviews. I too had the tempura seafood . . Exactly as recently described. Over-cooked, thick heavy batter (I've seen less at my local fish and chip shop) and mainly dried-out whitebait. Even the squid ring (note the singular) was so crisp I could have snapped it in two. My seared tuna, however, was almost acceptable, although the pan had not been heated enough to produce the "sear" it was - at least - not over-cooked and the salad was very flavourful. Desserts - nothing that you couldn't buy from the local supermarket. So overall, not a pleasing experience - but maybe just a poor night because there are many other reviews that praise this place, but I'm not sure whether I will want to give it a second chance. One good thing - the wine list, although limited, is reasonable, so at least you can drink your worries away!!

2  Thank MIKE F
Chris M, Owner at The Fighting Cocks Pub and Riverside Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Many thanks for your feedback. We have taken the Tempura off the Summer menu, as it obviously wasn't proving popular. We do listen to our customers, and the beauty of being an independent is that we can change things quickly, so thank you for bringing this to our attention. On behalf of the team apologies for the less than satisfactory experience . As you can see from the vast majority of reviews, its the exception rather than the norm. But we will always try and improve what we do here, as we make some mistakes along the way. Kind Regards Chris Maskery

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We (10 of us) went to the Fighting Cocks yesterday at just before 5pm hoping to grab some Sunday lunch and catch some of the golf... I fully expected lunch to be over however the staff were very accommodating (kitchen closes at 5pm) however we had some amazing Roast dinners & ploughman's, fantastic desserts and great wines/beers... Oh and the golf was on! The garden also deserves a mention.... Very relaxed, family friendly yet cool pub/restaurant.... Put if this way I'll be back for dinner THIS week! Go here...

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Met friends at this lovely pub for a first time visit and we were not disappointed. Great staff and atmosphere - we ate in the conservatory restaurant with lovely views of the extensive gardens. The food and wine were excellent especially the pies which this place is famous for - the puddings were also to die for!