“Great location for Warner Bros Harry Potter Tour”

Mercure London Watford Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Watford
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Great location for Warner Bros Harry Potter Tour”
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We stayed for one night prior to our visit to the Harry Potter Tour. We had 3 rooms, 1 double and two twin rooms. The double was Exec (ground floor )and lovely ,decor wise and really clean- I would def stay for more than 1 night in this room, however the two twin rooms were clean but looked dated, tired and grubby , but was ok for 1 night.
The evening meal consisted of a 3 course buffet for £20 per head but the choices were limited . We decided to head down to the Toby Carvery ( approx 1 mile down the road) and paid £5.95 per head . For a delicious meal with unlimited refills on soft drinks plus two desserts our total bill for 5 came to £44.
The next morning we had breakfast ( £6.50 each) but considering 4 only had toast and cereal this seemed a bit steep.
The lounge area was nice for a cup of tea and drinks from the bar ( Archers and lemonade plus a diet coke £8.40 , pot of tea £2.75 ).
With it being a Saturday night there was also a disco for residents.
The pool area was nice with a sauna and jacuzzi , loungers were available for relaxation in a conservatory area . There is also a Seb Coe fitness suite/ gym .
All staff were very helpful and courteous at all times
Location wise, its 19 miles from centre of London ( 20 mins tube ride), 8-9 miles from Watford town centre ( £10.00 taxi fare each way ) and 4 miles from Warner Bros Studio, so central all round.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank unlucky916
Simon S, Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, with regards to your recent stay at the Mercure London Watford. Both myself and the team within the hotel welcome all guest comments so that we are able to improve the standards and service we offer.

I have read all your comments and thank you for your feedback on the hotel and the team. Please be assured that we do look at all our pricing within food and beverage on a regular basis, and at the same time we do offer a number of in house promotions throughout the year.

Once again thank you for your valuable comments and I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Simon Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Stayed at this hotel now on numerous occasions and same result every time. Reception, bar , restaurant , rooms and staff excellent as usual. I use this hotel all the tiem when on business in Watford and would recommend this to both business and tourists travellers

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Simon S, Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2012

Reviewed 15 July 2012 via mobile

Title says it all. I could not think of anything outstanding about this place. It's was too hot in the room and no air con, just a naff fan which moved around stale air. I won't go out of my way to stay here again. Usually use the jury's and it's much better than this, or if that's full the Hilton which is almost next door to the mercure - more expensive but miles better.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business

Guisborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We arrived at 8.30pmfor our booked table to eat in the restaurant. Firstly - completely ignored at the Restaurant reception by the Maitre D, couldn't even say I booked a table! Then we were bundled onto a small table inadequate for three. We asked to move the table - as we were blocking a walkway - but this was ignored and moved it ourselves. We ordered drinks -15 minutes later we asked the waiter - the Maitre D was called and she said we would get the drinks immediately. 10 minutes later we asked the waitress again and the water came - but not the wine - this took another ask! The waiter brought the wine reluctantly and put an ice bucket with the wine in by the table and walked off. We opened the screw top bottle and tasted it with glasses from the next table. Then the "starters" arrived, we had ordered some mixed breads, garlic bread and an assortment of crisps and nuts - which didnt fit on the table - so we used the one next door. The Bread was stale - rock hard - a knife was no use. The waitress called the Maitre D and took the bread away. The Maitre D went into the Kitchen (close to us) and shouted out - they are complaining again! The replacement bread was OK. The Mian Course was greasy and poor quality (A "Texas Chilli" with NO haricot beans only baked beans and fatty mince for instance). The main course was interupted by SCREAMS from the Kitchen as the Maitre D and one or more Waitresses screeched at one another for 5 minutes - started by the Maitre D. VERY embarrassing for us all! We skipped desert and coffee (by now we had been there for 90minutes, and asked for the bill. We were told to go to the desk for this! The Maitre D asked if the meal was OK! We said no - we had already complained a number of times - so she said "I'll give you the wine" - with NO apology.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I have read your comments with interest with regards to the food and beverage and also the team members working in the restaurant. Please be assured that this is not the usual standard of service we offer at the hotel and please accept my apologies. I would be happy to discuss this matter if you require and please feel free to contact myself at the hotel.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We stayed overnight here on our way to Ladies' Day at Ascot. It was clean and very comfortable. Check in was simple and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms had an ironing board and iron which was very useful as we wanted to look our best for Ladies' Day.
The full English breakfast was very tasty with plenty of variety and there was no delay with items running out as often happens with buffet style breakfasts.
Apart from the other guests coming back late and being rather noisy the hotel was reasonably quiet, not suffering from traffic noise even though it is close to a main road.
The restaurant prices were rather high so we opted not to eat dinner there. Instead we walked along the main road about 500 yards and found a very nice Chinese restaurant. Apparently there is also a pub which sells food near by.

Room Tip: Ask for the back of the hotel away from the road.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear Guest,

I have read your key comment regarding the price of the food and beverage within the hotel and please be assured that I will take onboard your comment.

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2012

First of all I think Frances on reception deserves a well done. Great customer service and what a lovely lady!
The walk to our room was quite a way as we were place in studio room 2167 down the bottom half of the hotel. Room was good, clean and well presented. Was a little surprised to see that there was no bathroom door. Granted the loo and shower had a glass door but even though the greatest part of these are see through!!
The bed was comfortable and the en-suite adequate due to lack of door.
Bar was ok but seemed a little understaffed with only one young lad running around like headless chicken trying to keep all customers happy. Prices for drinks were reasonable but food a little on the pricey side for what was actually received.
We endulged in a visit to the pool and spa area and I must say it was again clean and tidy. Just what was needed to relax after a busy day. The gym was modern and boasted a mass of various equipment. Dont know what most of it was but looked new and impressive. Staff at the spa and gym were lovely and could not do enough to help in any way they could.
Breakfast was ok apart from the wait when the buffet got a little busy. Various item would run out and the chef took a little time to replace with fresh foods but otherwise all was ok. Otherwise the selection was very good.
We booked this deal on a KGB discount deal and if being honest, think I may have felt a little short-changed if I had paid full price stated on the mercure website.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, with regards to your recent stay at the Mercure London Watford. I have read all your comment and thank you for your feedback.

I would like to thank you for your comment regarding Frances on the front desk and please be assured that I will pass on your comments. I have also looked at your comments about the leisure club team and again I will pass these on.

With regards to your valuable comments please be assured that I work with the department managers to action these. We are also working with a company which is looking to replace the bathroom doors within the rooms your stayed.

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Check-in was great as I was able to check in at 11a after a long flight. The hotel looks like an old elementary school. The room was decent but the bathroom smelled. The bed was comfortable and clean. Average selection of tv channels. The front desk staff were great and helped out with taxis and the like. There is no AC in the rooms but it didn't matter as it was 60 and rainy while I was there. The carpet was stained.

The bar downstairs is nice and opens to a back patio - service is slow. The food was ok but they served cold beer so I was happy.

Overall, a good stay for the value.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

I have noted all your comment and please be assured that I will work with the department managers to action these.