“Excellent Service”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Watford
Hull E.Yorkshire England
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Stayed at the Mercure for the weekend. IThe staff were very helpful and efficient, nothing seemed to be too much trouble even though the hotel was very full for the olympics. It was a very hot weekend and we were provided with extra fans to keep the rooms cooler. The food, particularly the breakfast, was excellent - in fact far superior to some other London hotels we have stayed in. We had a great weekend.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Margaret K
Simon S, Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, with regards to your recent stay at the Mercure London Watford. Both myself and the team within the hotel welcome all guest comments so that we are able to improve the standards and service we offer.

Once again thank you for your valuable comments and I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Simon Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Staff were very friendly, from reception to cleaning staff to the staff at breakfast! Awesome! The room was fine, everything we needed was there. Breakfast was nice and plentiful! It's 1 mile from the M1 and easy to find. I recommend this hotel to anyone!! When you get there Tell them I said Hi :-)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Simon S, Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2012

windsor
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I stayed at the Mercure Watford with 2 teenagers -my niece and my daughter-prior to visiting the Harry Potter Tour at Leavesdon. We had booked a triple room via Superbreak and when I asked at the time of booking, I was told we would have one double bed and a single in the room. When we arrived the reception staff had only a knowledge of a request for a double room but said they could put an extra bed in. I was concerned that a double room would be too crowded for what was essentially 3 adults. The reception staff offered to move us to a bigger room. When we arrived in the room there was a double bed and a sofa bed with no bedding on the sofa bed and only two sets of towels. I had to ring reception twice to request bedding for the sofa bed. I was told that staff would come to make up the sofabed for us. At 11pm after a second request two female staff arrived and were not able to make up the sofa bed as it was obvious it was broken when they pulled it out. They then requested a single folding bed which arrived but looked rather tatty. The bed was tiny and narrow more suitable for a child and the mattress was so uncomfortable you could feel all the springs. I ended up putting the sofa bed cushions on the folding bed to try and make it more comfortable. My niece said she had a really bad nights sleep as she had no room to move or she risked falling off the bed. When I remarked to the staff at reception on checking out they apologised but nothing more than that. The breakfast was the usual offering and no better than expected. On a positive note all the staff I encountered were actually very polite and did their best to be helpful. Apparently there are triple rooms that do have a full single and double bed in but otherwise a triple is a double with added folding bed as we experienced or a double with a sofa bed. I would advise you contact the hotel and request a full size double and single bed in advance or book separate rooms to ensure you all have a good nights sleep. Our double bed was actually very comfortable. Very handy for Harry Potter-only 20 mins away.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify exactly what you want-ring in advance if you want a triple room to ensure you...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

I have read all your comments and thank you for your feedback on the hotel and the team. I will ensure that your comments are passed to all the team within the hotel. At the same time I will ensure that we work with all our booking agents and ensure that all guest requests are placed within our own reservation system.

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

There are old carpets which you can smell walking to the room, also in rooms are carpets old and need to be washed. Bathroom with shower very dated, limescale on the showerhead. Very basic. Not very clean. Some mattrasses very old, in of of the room i could feel the sprung digging in my back. Me personaly felt very uncomfortable having to step on the carpet after shower with my bare feet. The last day me and my partner spent there found black bugs on different places. Also we used this hotel quite often and the when we wanted to stay one more night the price raises to nearly a double and the staff wasnt helpfull. So we left and when to Mercure in Hatfield. The same story. Booked more expensive room thinking the standard will be higher, were supposed to get bowl of fruits which we never got.

Room Tip: Do not choose by pictures. The worst experience I had with Tudor Lodge in Pinner/Harrow where the pi...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Simon S, Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
Dear Guest,

All feedback is welcome and I have read all your comments with interest. I can assure you that we do have an extensive cleaning progress in place with regards to the carpets within the hotel. I take onboard your comment regarding the beds and I am please to say that we are looking at new beds for the hotel.

I am sorry for the inconvenience regarding your stay and I would be delighted if you wish to contact me at the hotel to I can discuss this in more detail with you.

Once again thank you for your valuable comments.

Alameda, California
Reviewed 5 August 2012

This is the worst run hotel I have ever stayed out. Usually, I'm a go with the flow kind of guy, but I can't believe how poorly run this hotel is, and the bottom line of "I could care less" attitude that they seem to have. One example is the pool, they have these really odd random hours posted, it really seems as if they are trying everything possible to dissuade anyone from going in there. The front desk staff says one thing about times, yet the pool staff have their own agenda. The two men that I encountered at the desk were beyond rude. Everyone seems to have the same experience in the pool area. I only got to enjoy the pool for 15 mins each night twice out of my five night stay, due to one issue or the other. The bar is weird, they had no bar man there, and the youngsters working were not able to pour anything but wine or beer? I got several important packages sent to me, yet never notified ever. The fire alarm went off early in the morning, due to the toaster catching on fire, apparently this is a common occurrence according to the wait staff, yet the entire hotel was evacuated. I can mention several other mishaps -- and always get the "I could care less" attitude. I really think the Corporate Mecure people should visit this hotel and see for themselves. Pay attention to the men who work in the fitness/pool area, they have no concept of working in the hospitality industry.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mghtymatttravel
Dear Guest,

All feedback is welcome and I have read all your comments with interest. I am aware the leisure club team made all guests aware that the pool was at maximum capacity. We have a set number of swimmers due to health and safety reason. With regards to the pool opening times these are displayed within the guest service information and also on check in to our guests.

I am sorry for the inconvenience regarding the fire alarms and again we take all guest safety as a matter of high importance. The reason the fire alarms did go off during your say was due to a guest smoking within the room.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Having lived here for almost 4 months, I think I have a good insight as to the service and quality of of the hotel. I have been in other more expensive and exclusive hotels in the vicinity, but none offered the welcome home smile like here.
I have been in all classes of room and tried everything on the menu. Standard rooms are comfortable and spacious (to a degree, don't expect to hold a soiree) and offer a reasonably comfortable bed and somewhere to wash your bits. The studios offer a bit more comfort, with a softer bed and nicer décor. The open plan bathroom at first is a giggle, being that you can watch the TV whilst, well you get my drift.The shower (with funky Japanese shower heads in the wall) is powerful and warm, Kinda all you need really. The tea making facilities lack biscuits! Not sure if that's a bad review.
The superior rooms are a delight after a long day. Yes, they are not overly large rooms, but offer more comfort at reasonable cost, and if within your budget, select this option. It is on the quieter side of the hotel, and close to the bar and restaurant. Biscuits are supplied in here strangely?? The bathroom is more private, as it has a door, so sadly no multi tasking with a TV/sit down combo.. and the shower is of the same standard.

The food is of a high standard, with loads to choose from within the menu, however, after four months of the same menu i was glad of McD's next door and the chinese 10 minutes along the road. The breakfast is as you'd expect of a buffet, plenty to choose from, and well cooked.

The leisure amenities are equally as good, with clean changing rooms, nice pool and sauna and an array of equipment. Do not expect state of the art, but if you fancy a run or a cycle or even sit by the pool with a newspaper this'll fit the bill just nicely.

The staff are exceptional. From back of house to reception and management, all are dedicated to serving the customer. All queries are dealt with promptly and professionally, just remember that this is a busy hotel. Waiting 10 minutes at reception isn't really a hardship!!

The personal touch is what sets this hotel apart. From Craig in the restaurant remembering how I like my coffee and his mums radiant smile, to the girls, Jenna, Sabrina, Vanessa, Frances to name a few that all "fussed" when I became homesick. The staff here are what make this hotel, and with good manners and courtesy they will run after you all day long with a smile and a skip.

In summary, if you're looking for the Ritz, book the Ritz. If you're looking for a nice hotel, good food, in a good location, with staff that will brighten your day, book here..

Thank you to all that made my long stay away from home that little bit more bearable, i'll miss you all..

Room Tip: Upgrade, its worth the extra, just for the biscuits!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Stuart C
Simon S, Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Dear Guest,

I have read all your comments and thank you for your feedback on the hotel and the team. Please be assured that I will pass your feedback on to all the departments within the hotel. It is always a pleasure to look after our long term guest's staying within the hotel.