“Overnighting”

Mercure London Watford Hotel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Watford
“Overnighting”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Our stay was pleasant, without that little element which would have made it so much more memorable. The room although comfortable had an odour which suggested that it may have been a smoking room. This took some getting used to. I think also that the lobby can also benefit from literature about what's on in area.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Steve S, General Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Dear Lawrence836

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review following your visit to the hotel, I am pleased to learn you had a pleasant stay, and I appreciate your additional comments.

The hotel is entirely non smoking, and very occassionally we find a room where a guest has been smoking in a bedroom. In this instance we have procedures in place to not sell the room until it has been fully cleaned and aired, and I am sorry you found an odour of smoke in the room. I have discussed this with my head housekeeper so she may be extra vigilant when checking such rooms.

We do have a small presenter of local literature in the lobby, and I am sorry this was not seen by yourself during your visit.

Thanks again for your feedback and I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure London watford again in the future.

Steve Shipley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Reviewed 21 April 2013

The hotel was good value for money and a good location if you will be visiting the Warner Bros Studios. The hotel looks like a run-down old school from the outside however the interior is not so bad. We were luckily upgraded on arrival and our room was clean and adequate for our one night’s stay.

Although we had a bad experience with one member of staff, the rest were all very friendly and welcoming. The spa and gym facilities were what you’d expect from a 3* hotel, the pool was a good temperature however did get busy with members of the public and children.

Over all good value and you get what you pay for. I’d recommend this hotel as a base for a short break, if you will be spending the majority of your time out and about.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J D
Steve S, General Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Dear J D

Many thanks for your recent review on our hotel and I am pleased to note your favourable comments regarding our great location and the bedroom.

I am sorry you had a poor interaction with one member of staff and this will be discussed at our regular management meetings. I am delighted that the remainder of the team you came into contact with were friendly and welcoming.

Your comments regarding the exterior of the building and the leisure club being busy are noted and overall I am pleased that you found us to be good value and that you would recommend us as a good base for a short break.

Kind regards

General manager
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2013

apart from the TV not working in morning, dated bathroom, with some of the bath and sink taps not working , our stay at the hotel was great . breakfast as usual with these hotel chain was superb quality with high quality products and ingredients. spa was modern and we had a great time in there. room and bed were spaceus,slept really well.

staff tried to be helpful with any questions we asked within our stay

overall had a enjoyable stay and would stay again

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Steve S, General Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Dear Smilerfour

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review following your visit to the hotel, I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay.

I will discuss your comments regarding the TV and bathroom with my maintenence team so that they may take the necessary corrective action, and I would apologise for these shortcomings.

We have recently installed new beds in the majority of our bedrooms which are receiving positive feedback from our guests, and I am delighted to learn of your great nights sleep.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Watford, or one of our many other Mercure hotels again in the future.

West Midlands
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Room had stained wall and carpet, but the bed was clean, and crockery spotless. Two teabags is a bit mean at the price they charge!
Loads of parking and very convenient for Watford town and station, both a short drive away.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

1 Thank lexkai
Steve S, General Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear Lexkai

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review following your visit to the hotel, I am sorry you found marks on the wall and carpet.

The standard is for 4 teabags to be provided in each room daily, and extra supplies are always available on request.

I will discuss both these points with my head housekeeper so that she is aware of your feedback and may take the necessary corrective action.

On a brighter note I am pleased to note your favourable comments regarding how clean the bed and crockery was, and our great location and parking availability, and I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel on many future occassions.

Reviewed 12 April 2013

After staying at this hotel over Easter and having a bad experience i put my views on trip advisor. The Manager Mr. Smith answered and asked me to call him or the operations manager Jade Clarke. I telephoned 2 days ago only to find he has left. Well well that explains all. A HOTEL IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE MANAGEMENT WHICH RUN IT. I asked to speak with Jade and was told se would get back to me within 15 minutes. I am still waiting.????????Just goes to show!! If you want a good hotel with good food and good service then don't stay here!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Peggypauline

I am sorry you have found it necessary to post a further review following your visit to the hotel over Easter.

I am the new General Manager at the hotel as Simon Smith has moved on, and Jade passed your number to me to call.

I have personally tried to call you on numerous occassions on the mobile number ending 2828 and regretfully there has been no answer, and there is no message service, so I cannot leave a voice mail saying I have called.

I would like to speak with you to resolve this unfortunate matter, please do call me at the hotel, and if I am unavailable for any reason, leave an alternative number or a suitable time to call on the mobile number I have so that we may speak.

Kind regards

Market Rasen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stayed at the Mercure Hotel, Watford, for three weeks. The domestic, waiting and reception staffs were very good and efficient - those who cleaned my room daily were exceptional. However, I was disappointed by the standard of the (Brasserie) food most evenings although I have to say that the breakfast was exceptionally good. Also, having joined the Accor Card programme, I expected to have built-up a considerable benefit after three weeks' stay but the 'points' have constantly been refused because the booking was not made directly with the hotel - even though the reception staffs made contact with the scheme on three occasions and I have have made three further calls to the scheme from home. Swimming pool, steam room and sauna were excellent

Room Tip: Do not accept a room adjacent to the outside sports' ground.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank IWatson
Steve S, General Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear IWatson

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review following your 3 week stay at the hotel, and I am delighted to receive your kind comments regarding the Housekeeping, Reception, Leisure Club and the Catering Service teams and I will pass your praise onto them.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the standard of food served at dinner on some evenings, and I will review this with the Chef to ensure we are delivering all items to the correct specification at dinner, however I am pleased to note your positive feedback regarding breakfast.

Having joined our Accor Hotels Le Club reward scheme I am concerned to learn that you have not received your points, and would like to apologise for the confusion you describe. I would be grateful if you could contact me personally at the hotel by phone or mail with your reservation details and I will personally look into this unfortunate matter and respond to you fully in a timely fashion.

Many thanks once again for sharing your experiences at the hotel.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stayed end of March with my partner as part of a package for the Harry Potter Tour, We stayed for 2 nights.
We were both worried before arriving after reading the reviews on this website...... ignore the bad reviews as we could not fault this hotel at all (and i have stayed at ALOT of hotels)

Arrival was quick and easy, we requested quiet room and thats what we got. The Room was spacious, clean and modern. TV worked and the bed was one of the comfiest beds to date.... we had 2 of the best sleeps in the hotel.

We made full use of the pool, sauna and steam. Staff were really friendly and chatty (even waved us in as we looked lost trying to find it) Pool was clean, jacuzzi was lovely and sauna and steam were perfect.

Breakfast was lovely and hot, we stayed B&B. The hotel menu of an evening although was quite expensive so we decided on 1 night to eat in McDonalds (right next door) and the next night we ordered a chinese takewaway from a local chip shop...... i even got cheeky and asked reception for 2 plates, cutlery and glasses... they were very helpful and had no problem at all with this so we enjoyed our takeaway in our room.

The only downside really was the distance from watford and no public transport from the station to hotel or hotel to Harry Potter but overall i would definately recommend this hotel and would 100% stay here again!!

All staff were friendly, approachable and welcoming!

Room Tip: Request quiet room.. think we was in 110. Was lovely
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Steve S, General Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Dear Scorpion2010

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review following your visit to the hotel, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay.

I will discuss your kind comments with the management team, who I know will be greatly encouraged by your feedback. We are currently replacing many beds in the hotel and it's great to hear how much you enjoyed your sleep !

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure London Watford again in the future.