“Nice but noisy”

Mercure London Watford Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Watford
“Nice but noisy”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for one night in between going to Whipsnade zoo and Harry Potter studio tour.
The hotel was clean and the staff friendly. I was particularly impressed with the gym and pool facilities, which were excellent for the cost of the hotel.
The bar and restaurant were nice, although I found the restaurant prices a little high, but that could just be me being tight-fisted!
The main negative was that I had specifically requested a quiet room when booking, as we had a long drive down the country to get there, an early morning the next day and a long drive back up the next night.
We slept okay until 3.30am, when a delivery truck pulled up outside the room and made a lot of noise until about 4.30. We were shattered the next morning and after making the request for a quiet room, could have done without being put in a room next to the rear entrance where all the deliveries were going on.
On checking out, we reported this to the desk and they advised that the manager would call us, but to date, this has not happened.
This all resulted in marring what would have otherwise been a very pleasant stay. A big shame!

• Stayed August 2013
Steve S, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Dear GoonerDuncan

Thank you for you feedback posted on trip advisor.

Firstly I am sorry the room you were allocated did not meet with your requirements. From the information I have it is difficult for me to establish which room you were allocated. But I will pick this up with the reception team to ensure that quiet room requests are not allocated rooms close to the car park. Please be assured I will try to establish which company was making deliveries at that time as we do not generally accept deliveries until after 6.30 am when the kitchen team have arrived.

I would also like to apologise that nobody contacted you as requested. I will investigate this further to ensure it does not happen again in the future.

Janette Mckenna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2013

All the staff were amazing especially Maria who was very welcoming when we arrived.
Thank you for a very relaxed stay and delicious breakfast. We needed a late check out and this was sorted out without any fuss. The transport into London is very quick and frequent.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Margaret K

Further to your email to our head office and my subsequent reply I would like to thank you once again for your positive comments which I will pass onto the team.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future so you can enjoy another 'brill weekend' with us.

Caerphilly, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for just over 2 weeks whilst working in the area. The location is good, just a couple of miles from the town centre. Just over 2 miles from bushey train station, £7 in a taxi. A train from Bushey to London Euston takes just 19 mins. There is a McDonald's right next to the hotel and a Toby carvery just a 5 min walk away. There is ample free parking at the hotel.

Check in was quick and they were fine with us arriving half an hour early. Some of the rooms are quite far from reception but these tend to be quieter. Our room was at the far end of the hotel and a decent size. The bathroom was a strange layout with no door just a glass door on the shower and toilet.the toilet was quite small. The biggest let down was no air con. There was a little desk fan that was ok but not the same!!

The breakfast was good. Cereals, fruit, toast, yoghurt and usual full cooked breakfast. You could also order off the menu special items. The eggs benedict was fantastic!! The bar meals and room service were always good quality but a little expensive, typical hotel prices though. The bar area is good with outside seating and heating. The bar doesn't open till 10am but if you want anything just ask and they normally open the bar for you as drinks are served 24 hrs. The weather was good most of our stay and we enjoyed a few drinks in the beer garden at the usual hotel prices.

We thought the service and friendliness was excellent. All staff were very pleasant. A special mention to Mark on reception, a very personal and genuine guy and nothing was too much trouble. Joan in the breakfast restaurant, always had a smile and looked after us each morning. Laura in the bar was very friendly and went out of her way to speak to us every day. Jay at breakfast/in the bar/room service was also friendly and helpful.

As we were working during the night we would ask for a night clean so we could sleep during the day unfortunately the one morning the clean manager decided to check it was all ok by waking us up which wasn't appreciated. Also the hotel failed to let us know that every Monday morning they tested the fire alarm waking us up which would of been fine if we were warned. On the Sunday afternoon the fire alarm went off at 2:45pm and didn't stop till the fire engines arrive half hour later there was no fire and when asked what set it off they said DUST, not impressed!!!!

All in all a good hotel with excellent staff. Would recommend to our friends & family.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Kayleigh_M_Williams
Steve S, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear Kayals 1990

Thank you for your comments posted on Trip Advisor recently.

With regards to the team members you mentioned I will personnaly thank them on your behalf for the freindly professional service they have provided.

I will discuss your comments with the Head Housekeeper regarding the noise

I am sorry you were not personally advised of the fire bell teast each Monday at 11.15 am. We are legally required to test the bells on a weekly basis, the time was agreed by management as the best time so as not to inconvenience as many guests. I am aware the fire alarm it is company policy that if the alarm is activated then the fire brigade must attend and investigate the cause. I apologise for the incorrect information you were provided with being Dust set of the alarm as I have received the report stating a faulty sensor was the cause. I will discuss this with the duty manager and team present on that day to prevent future occurances.

We hope to see you again soon.

Janette McKenna.
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We (my husband, daughter & myself) stayed at this hotel whilst with a coach party trip to see the Harry Potter Studios tour, Oxford and Windsor. The hotel is a reasonable 'base' for The Harry Potter studios as its located not far from the studios. Our rooms were clean, though the hotel itself would really benefit from a makeover especially in the bedrooms, as they were looking very tired with there rickety old drawers. There was no air con in the rooms (but a desk fan helped a bit), no bedside clock and no heated towel rail in bathroom to dry wet towels - just one small rail over the toilet. I shared a room with my daughter and so I just hung my used bath towel on some hooks behind the bathroom door. When we came back from our trip, the towel had been taken but not replaced (they don't seem to know the 'code' for only dirty towels go in the bath to be changed). This soon got sorted at hotel reception though and a clean towel was brought round to the room. You get some basic bathroom toiletries & a box of tissues left in the bathroom to use, along with some tea bags, coffee, sugar, milk etc near a kettle (no biscuits or bottles of water).

The breakfasts here were 'reasonable' (we've had better), buffet style, but not as much choice as with other places we've stayed, but the cooked breakfasts were fine. We didn't notice any veggie sausages though, which they claim to serve - so if you are veggie, you had better ask. The evening meal again was buffet style, rather bland in flavour. On the first night and first morning we were there, our coach party were exiled to a side room to eat (which wasn't really ideal nor what we expected). I think this was because our coach driver brought it to their attention that we had a lot of young children in our party and it wouldn't be fair for them to be eating too late (the hotel wanted us to be dining at 8pm) - so a compromise was made with dining in the side room. On the second day they seem to run out of desserts quickly after the evening meal (especially profiteroles), despite guests only taking a normal portion size, and people were standing around waiting for the desserts side to be replenished. It appeared at one point that there were no desserts left at all, but then they found some and all seemed to be well again. The staff (when they are around), seem to be working very hard - especially the female restaurant manager on duty one morning when we were there, who showed us to our table on the second morning of our stay. It's better to be shown to a cleared table before you get your breakfast, rather than having to hunt around for one once you have a plateful of breakfast - but you don't know the procedure unless there is someone around to ask. Whilst we were dining in the side room there were only two members of staff trying to keep us all happy - so tables were a bit slow at being cleared at breakfast. We had no choice on the first morning and had to sit at a table still full of dirty plates and cups from the previous diners, and still the table didn't get cleared for some time!

I would say the best thing about this hotel is actually the pool area with a good sized pool, a jacuzzi, sauna and steam room, plus sun loungers at the side of the pool. As hotel guests we had the use of the hotel towels free of charge and free lockers (though you may or may not get told this at reception - but according to the member of staff at the pool reception, we should have been informed). A room keycard is held at the gym/pool reception while you are using the facilities here. The changing areas were okay (though dated) as they had both a communal area for changing and a few private cubicles and private showers with shower gel dispensers, and bags for carrying wet swim gear. If anything the area would have benefited from a bit of modernisation and a swimsuit spin drier. This hotel seems to be a very popular stay for coach party trips, as two more coach loads arrived on our second day. So our view is the price to stay here may be good value - but it could really do with some improvements.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Janice W

Thank you for posting your detailed review of the Mercure London Watford Hotel on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry the hotel in general did not meet your expectations. I will discuss your comments with the operations team and address what we can in house as a matter of urgency. I would also like to advise that we are currently compiling a capital investment programme which will encompass many areas of the hotel in an effort to enhance our guest experience.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

swansea
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed 14-16 August 2013 to take advantage of Harry Potter Studio Tour received as a gift. We were a little worried by some of the reviews but our experience overall was very good. The first room we were checked into didn't have a working television and despite the very helpful reception clerk (Mark) trying to re-boot it remotely it refused to work so we were offered another room a few doors away.
Our room was big enough and had a king-size bed which was very comfortable. The room became quite hot overnight and we were glad to have a fan in the room which meant we could cool off enough to actually sleep.
The breakfasts on both days were very good. It was all served buffet style and included cereals, fresh fruit and an extensive range of hot breakfast items including bacon, sausage, baked beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried potatoes, fried and scrambled eggs. There was a choice of juices and the orange juice was particularly good.
It was a 10 minutes taxi ride to Harry Potter which cost around £12 and a similar journey back to the station.
The restaurant in the evening was very different. We were seated quickly but our drinks took over 30 minutes to arrive. Our nibbles took another 15 minutes which considering they were crisps, nuts and bread seemed inexplicable. Our waitress was lovely (Natalie) and it was hard to be cross with her. It was clear though when my husband's fish came that it had been prepared a while ago and been sitting somewhere near direct heat to keep it warm. We sent it back and said very nicely that we would not be paying for it. We both shared my pizza which was fairly big as we weren't happy to wait another 45 minutes for another dish to be prepared. To be fair the dish was taken off the bill with minimal fuss.
The following evening we walked 15 minutes down the road to the Toby and had a great meal for half the price and waited around 20 minutes in total.
The Fitness Centre was a treat; a swimming pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna and at no extra charge. Be warned though there are signs to say it will be closed on 31st August for the day but opening the following day- not sure if that is clear on the booking sites.
All in all (excluding the restaurant experience) we enjoyed our stay and thought it was value for money and all the staff were very helpful and pleasant. ( The Fitness Centre staff might want to moderate their language when they think no-one is in ear-shot)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Toggors

Thank you for posting you detailed review on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with the service in the restaurant. I will discuss the delay you experienced with my head chef and restaurant manager as a matter of urgency.

With regards to your comments about the team I will ensure these are passed on to the team especially Mark and Natalie.

We hope to welcome you back to the Mercure London Watford again soon.

Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

If only we had read the reviews before booking - some of them are spot on! Entertainingly we also stayed in room 133 and that review below is not wrong! There are stairs above the room which makes it very noisy. No aircon so hotter than you would expect. No door on the bathroom. Glass panel for a door to the toilet - the frosted bit is too high enabling anyone else to see the "sitter". Glass panel is not floor to ceiling - unsure which way smell travels (up or down), but it certainly does one or the other... No double glazing. Hotel as a whole feels very "thin" and sound travelled much more than you would expect. Bed wasn't bad, to be fair. Breakfast not bad but a little lacking in choice for me. Lobby entrance area is much better than the rest of the hotel. We did not use the spa but it looked nice. Hotel was cheap but we did not feel it was worth it and would not come back without a complete refit. The fabric of the building probably prevents a sufficient refurb to make it anything other than average at best.

Room Tip: Ask to be moved from room 133!