“Not much to shout about”

Mercure London Watford Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Watford
Milwaukee
“Not much to shout about”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Business stay 4 days. Location is not within easy walk of any services. Huge amount of traffic at peak times. Staff generally friendly and helpful. Hotel is somewhat tired and in need of updating. Good news about the room was that the temp stayed reasonable for good sleep. Old fixturing, not enough lighting, little space. Admittedly the room looked better than hallways and common areas. Restaurant food is hit or miss: chicken sandwich dry and salty, chicken tikka excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Steve S, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear B X

Thank you for your providing your valuable feedback via Trip Advisor.

Such feedback is excellent for us to work with, in our constant endeavour to improve our facilities and the service provided. We are currently awaiting major refurbishment which will enhance many areas of the hotel.

I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the relevant member of our team so they can be rectified to prevent future occurrences.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Janette McKenna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Had a weekend special deal £99.00 for two days spa so they said, but I certainly would not call it a spa as the facilities was not good and had far too much chlorine in the jacuzzi and swimming pool and the loungers was so wet and uncomfortable it was not relaxing. They did not provide any dressing gowns but the treatment I received was very good I paid for that as a extra and would of being nice to be wrapped in a gown afterwards as you would expect at a spa. the hotel is very dated and has a very bad smell of nicotine in the corridors. The meals was very average but the staff was very friendly and helpful overall not a break for a retreat but for a night if you got stranded. Fripps

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank fripps_12
Good afternoon Fripps_2

Thank you for your feedback posted on Trip Advisor.

With regards to the leisure club Pool and Spa I apologise for the inconvenience caused I am aware that on that day the plant equipment was not functioning correctly and that the staff did all they could to keep the facilities open. Unfortunately due to the malfunction on the plant room equipment the Jacuzzi has since been closed and will remain so until our contractor has been able to obtain the required parts.

I will also pass on the comments regarding the robe to Inspirations which is the separate company who provided your treatments.

We hope we can welcome you back in the future once the Jacuzzi is in full working order.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Stayed here for one night whilst I was attending a course in Watford. The room was very nice, clean and well layed out. Plenty of room and the bed was super comfy. The service I received from every member of staff was very proffessional and helpful.
I had a great nights sleep and would use this hotel again.
The only reason I gave it a rating of 4/5 was beacause my work colleagues and I dined here in the evening that we arrived and although you know that hotel restaurant food pricings are overpriced anyway, the quality of food was very poor for all of us. None of us enjoyed our meals, and the portions were very poor. We were starving by the time we got there, and ate the food more as a re-fueling exercise, rather than out of enjoyment.
We all had the buffet breakfast the next morning, which was much better quality food and I thoroughly enjoyed.
Would stay here again with no issues, but next time I would make sure that I ate before I checked in for an eveing stopover.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Byron P
Dear Byron P

Thank you for your recent feedback provided on Trip Advisor.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback, however I am sorry that your stay with us was marred by the quality and quantity of the food provided at dinner time. I will ensure that these comments are passed on to the head chef to prevent future occurrences.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed here on a weekend package deal, which included 2 nights accommodation with bed and breakfast both mornings and dinner on your first night. We were very pleased, particularly with the reasonable price of £125.

The room we were given didn't have a view (it faced a blank wall), but this didn't bother us. It was comfortable and clean with a good bed and shower. At breakfast all the usual things were on offer (sausages, bacon, eggs, cereals, toast, fruit, etc) and they were of a good standard. Dinner was also of a good standard, certainly above average. The staff seemed relatively friendly and helpful in the restaurant and at reception.

The hotel is not in the centre of London and would not be a good option if you visiting to 'see all the sights'. To get into London you need to catch the train (if you need to park a car at the station travel from Bushey rather that Watford Central as it works out cheaper.

Overall we had an enjoyable stay and I would return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Good afternoon Claire H

Thank you for your positive feedback posted on Trip Advisor recently.

We are sp pleased you enjoyed your stay. I will ensure your comments are passed on to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Check in is always slow here. So not a good start. Room was ok but lights didn't work properly. I had room service which was ok and priced well. The bed was very firm so not a good nights sleep. All the staff are very helpful so can't fault them. It looks like there is some renovation going on which is much needed. I will stay again but won't be my first choice.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Good evening Shaunkirsty

Thank you for your recent feedback provided on Trip Advisor.

It is a pleasure to receive such feedback as it helps us to understand our guest requirement. I will ensure it is passed on to the rest of the team.

The first phase of our refurbishment has just been completed will all rooms receiving new beds. We are currently awaiting approval on the remainder of our capital investment refurbishment plan which will improve many areas of the hotel.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I lost my mum very suddenly and needed to be near my family in North West London, the only hotel that was available for eight nights was this one, I booked it via their website the morning after my mum passed away, and we arrived at 2 p.m and checked in.

We had requested a twin room in a quiet location. The location was fine until the Saturday night, when there was a function on in the ballroom till 1.30 in the morning, plus a coach load of women from Wales who had been to London to see Mama Mia, they were in the garden singing, in the halls singing, we had to phone down twice to reception to ask them to sort out the noise as it was midnight, (this is when we were told that the party in the ballroom was going on till 1.30)

The room was very sad!!!!!! No doors on the single wardrobe, holes where the new flat screen TV had been put on the chest of drawers, and it was really badly scored where the previous TV had been turned round.The lighting was dreadful, the carpet dirty, and the ensuite very small, the door opened onto to toilet, so very cramped, and the bath was so high to get into, and very short.

Breakfast was just about edible, the porridge was cold and lumpy, the tomatoes hardly grilled, I asked for a kipper one day which is cooked for you, the sort that are boil in the bag, and even that was cold.

We didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment on it.

The staff were friendly, we had issues with the disabled parking, there were 3 spaces and more often than not someone who was lazy parked in them.

The worst thing was our bill. As I stated before I booked on their website on the day we were arriving, on check in Mark said that the money had not been taken, so would we like to swipe our card and then we could add any extras to our account, which was what we did. We paid up on the last day for our 8 day stay, and a few days later I thank G-d looked at my credit card to see that they had charged us twice, once on the day we checked in, and once on check out. It took us three days and untold phone calls to eventually get the money credited to our account.

Would we stay here again NO, unless like these circumstances we had no choice in it. This hotel is very corporate, and also for the coach load of people coming to London, as it is just off the M1, so not really geared up for a long stay.

Room Tip: Check your bill
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jacandhow
Dear Jacandhow

Thank you for posting your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry you encountered so many annoyances during your stay.

I will ensure all this feedback is passed on to the relevant people to prevent future occurrences.

I have spoken directly with my finance manager who advises the pre authorisation taken at the time of your check in has now been released on your account by your bank. I apologise for the inconvenience this has caused to you.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I was staying here with my girlfriend whilst visiting the Warner Bros The Making of Harry Potter Tour.

We booked a 2 night stay in a double room bed & breakfast for £155.00.

Upon arrival we were given our 'double room'. The room had enough space for the bed and nothing else, the room was also a twin room made for two single beds which had been pushed together and tied to look like a double but by doing this the sockets and light switches were now hidden behind pillows rather than in the centre of two beds where they should have been. The room was dirty and dated looking, there was a stain on the carpet that would have been covered by the old positioning of one of the single beds but was now in plain sight. The windows were dirty and looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a few months and the wallpaper was coming away from the walls in the corners of the room.

When I complained I was moved to a room that was recently refurbished promptly and it was equally as small but very pleasant and very clean. It made a big difference to me rating this hotel as 3* and not 1*.

If you don't have a car this hotel is a nightmare to get to and is only accessible by taxi, £10 to reach the nearest train station and £40 to the nearest airport.

The spa facilities are very dated and the changing rooms are dirty and cold, the pool is also open to swimming lessons and is unattended so during the three times I visited on three separated days it was busy with kids screaming shouting and jumping in the pool, not the most relaxing spa.

The staff were a mixture of 'ok' and rude. When ever I made a request it seemed that I had to go and ask someone else.

Not the worst but the level of service and comfort of the hotel is something you would expect somewhere between a travelodge and a holiday inn express and this should be reflected in the price, I wouldn't expect to pay more than £49 per night for this hotel.

If you do decide to stay make sure you are in one of the recently refurbished rooms, they were pleasant. Failing that you'd be better camping.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Ryhassan

Thank you for providing your feedback via Trip Advisor.

Firstly please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you and your girlfriend encountered upon your arrival.

I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to the senior management team in an effort to avoid future occurrences.