“Shabby”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Watford
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Shabby”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Sadly this particular Hilton sits well in the shadows of its usual standards. The staff are great and the front of house area is very pleasant. The rooms are very average and a bit tired as are the bathrooms. My personal experience was no hot water to the room because of some technical issue with the plumbing. Not funny after a journey and Christmas shopping. The Manager was very apologetic and offered a drink and a robe to pop down to the spa to use the showers there. . Didn't fancy that to be honest and was up against time to get out of the door again to eat. The spa for which swung my booking was closed for the 2 day duration of my stay, again technical issues that I don't have the details but the sign on the door was clear that it was closed. Dreadfully disappointing given it was a Christmas shopathon jolly. Just to be clear . . . . The staff were great

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Price was reasonable, although breakfast very over priced. £15 for a continental breakfast in your room plus £5 tray charge = £20 for some cereal and toast?!The issue is this hotel needs a complete revamp, looks and feels tired - inside and outside. Hotel competition in the area is strong so it appears this particular Hilton is trying to maintain market share based on attractive internet pricing.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Richard M
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The room was basic but very clean. The staff were great, polite and helpful. The staff on the front desk were efficient and very professional. Full marks go to Esme who was our waitress at breakfast. She was so attentive and friendly that she made a lasting impression. Thank you. The range of food for breakfast was very impressive for a business hotel.
I would definitely consider staying here again if needed.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
North West England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed at The Hilton Watford for work reasons. I didn't intend on staying here. I was actually supposed to be staying at The Tudor Lodge half an hour's drive away, however due to a general horrific level of hygiene at The Tudor Lodge, my colleagues and I cancelled our booking, walked out and fled to the safety and comfort of The Hilton.

By the time we arrived at The Hilton Watford we were tired (from a long drive and the experience of the previous hotel) so imagine my delight when the reception desk was clear and a very helpful gentleman welcomed us and checked us in quickly and efficiently. One of the quickest hotel check ins ever I think?

I had room 271. It was bit of a hike to get to my room as it was right at the end and quite a way from the lift, but it keeps you fit doesn't it? My room was spacious, bright and, most importantly, clean! The bathroom was spotless, and the bath was the fastest filling bathtub I have ever known. You haven't even enough time to walk off and make cuppa it fills so fast. Fantastic!

There was a hairdryer and a mirrored fold down vanity unit on the desk. Plenty of desk space, a flat screen TV and lamps too. The room was quiet and although the bed felt very firm, I slept well and it was a lot more comfortable than most Hilton beds I have stayed in. You'll need to bring your 4 way socket extension if you want to have your mobile phone plugged in by the bed though as the plugs are by the desk not by the bed. But hey, I travel a lot and I always pack mine! Take that handy tip from me. You'll thank me for it when there isn't a power socket by the bed or near the mirror.

We ate at the bar and the food was lovely. I had the healthy option of chicken with rice, courgette and asparagus.

The breakfast was self service and had the usual options of bread, cereal, porridge (which was amazing by the way) and cooked breakfast items (which were a tad cold).

The staff were friendly and efficient and seem happy in their jobs, which always makes a stay nicer.

So would I recommend this? Definitely. There is a Livingwell Gym attached to this although I didn't have time to check it out. Plenty of parking and a nice clean modern hotel. Well done.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

I was booked in on a Friday night ahead of an awards dinner I was attending at the hotel. First problem was that there was only one person on reception at 5.30pm and a long queue of people waiting to check in. The receptionist was then over-complicating the situation by trying to get people to pay in advance etc, which didn't help. The second issue was that after having been checked into a junior suite, I was put in the same corridor as a visiting football club, so lots of noise and movement in the corridors. Third problem was there was no hot water, apparently it had been a problem through the afternoon, and with a large number of guests checking in for the dinner at 7pm, there was going to be none until 8pm. Fourth issue was that the towels were as rough as sandpaper, not really what you would expect in a suite. Other issues were that the room was freezing cold on arrival, and the television reception was very poor. When all of this was reported to reception the it took all the receptionists ability to try and say sorry, I think I interrupted her conversation with the footballers. Not really the sort of quality and service you expect from a Hilton Hotel! I'm not really sure which area the manager should concentrate his attentions on first!!!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night for business trip, the hotel was extremely under staffed with only one member of staff serving at the bar so had one drink as didn't want to wait 30mins for another.
The swimming pool was shut so could not be used, the food was nice but again took nearly an hour to come again probably down to staffing issues.
I usually stay in a premier inn and can safely say I wish I had done.
Breakfast was the best part, bedrooms were poorly illuminated and duvets were thin to say the least.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Mirfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I stay at the hotel on a regular basis at it is near to my head office in Watford. Let's get the two negatives out of the way early on. Firstly, it is in desperate need of a good renovation (woodchip and artex aren't really up to modern decor standards) and secondly most of the rooms do not have air conditioning which can be irritating the few days of heat we have in the UK (although fans are normally provided)! Plug sockets can also be a bit of a hunt in some rooms which is frustrating for the business user with phone, laptop, tablet, etc.

The positives are that the staff are always welcoming and helpful, the bar and restaurant do the job really well and the car parking is free!

There is a small pool (fine for a splash about) and small gym.

As a very regular user of Hilton hotels in the UK and Europe I would say this one wins no awards for style but does the job for business users.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank David N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Watford
Jurys Inn London Watford
Holiday Inn London - Watford Junction
Holiday Inn Express London-Watford Junction
Mercure London Watford Hotel
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel

Been to Hilton Watford? Share your experiences!