“Afternoon tea”
Review of Hilton Watford

Hilton Watford
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Watford
Reviewed 11 December 2013

My husband and myself went to the Hilton Hotel for afternoon tea as brought through Buy-A-Gift and to be honest it was rubbish! The 3 small quarter sandwiches each were just served on a normal plate and we were given 2 cakes and a scone each also served on a normal plate and not a cake stand as we are normally given when we go elsewhere for afternoon tea. The setting was shabby and the chairs all scuffed and well worn. We might as well of just gone to a cafe and asked for a sandwich and couple cakes each. I did say to the hotel receptionist that we were not happy and she said that they do not usually do afternoon tea so why is it that it was the only place on offer through Buy-A-Gift for the Harry Potter Tour and afternoon tea! It was a real let down especially as it was our wedding anniversary and was brought for us as a gift. I think that if The Hilton are happy to accept bookings via Buy-A-Gift then they should provide a proper afternoon tea and not something that a cafe would serve better. Very disappointed.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Gilly2010

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I have used this particular Hilton Hotel on many occasions throughout 2013 for group bookings. We (as a group) have been well looked after. We require a high standard of service and the staff here provide this for us.
Front of house staff are polite and carry out all of our requests quickly and efficiently. I have built good working relationships with the events team and they are excellent, nothing is too much trouble.
If there are any negatives is is the aesthetics, the rooms are a little tired and could do with a bit of a revamp.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I have never understood the general perception that Hiltons are a 'high end' chain. Other than the very occasional good one my experience has been of poor value, old fasioned decor, ugly buildings and a desire to charge the customer extra for everything, this Hilton had it all.

So the few good points were:
Most of the staff were helpful and friendly
Breakfast offering was excellent
Nice bar area

Negatives:

Poor value overall
Rooms not ready at 2pm as booked
Terrible rooms, old fasioned, cheap furniture, only one socket in the whole room, no hot water at times, poor design and ill thought out from a customer perspective.
Limited and poor tea and coffee making for a hotel of this standard
Cleaners all congregating and talking in the corridor outisde out room on a sunday morning
Spa or swimming pool was closed
No free wifi

This is not a premium brand hotel and I would suggest other than the breakfast would struggle to compete with a Premier Inn on quality.
I would not use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Away from the cleaners store room on each corridor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank docscooter
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Sadly this particular Hilton sits well in the shadows of its usual standards. The staff are great and the front of house area is very pleasant. The rooms are very average and a bit tired as are the bathrooms. My personal experience was no hot water to the room because of some technical issue with the plumbing. Not funny after a journey and Christmas shopping. The Manager was very apologetic and offered a drink and a robe to pop down to the spa to use the showers there. . Didn't fancy that to be honest and was up against time to get out of the door again to eat. The spa for which swung my booking was closed for the 2 day duration of my stay, again technical issues that I don't have the details but the sign on the door was clear that it was closed. Dreadfully disappointing given it was a Christmas shopathon jolly. Just to be clear . . . . The staff were great

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Price was reasonable, although breakfast very over priced. £15 for a continental breakfast in your room plus £5 tray charge = £20 for some cereal and toast?!The issue is this hotel needs a complete revamp, looks and feels tired - inside and outside. Hotel competition in the area is strong so it appears this particular Hilton is trying to maintain market share based on attractive internet pricing.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Richard M
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The room was basic but very clean. The staff were great, polite and helpful. The staff on the front desk were efficient and very professional. Full marks go to Esme who was our waitress at breakfast. She was so attentive and friendly that she made a lasting impression. Thank you. The range of food for breakfast was very impressive for a business hotel.
I would definitely consider staying here again if needed.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed at The Hilton Watford for work reasons. I didn't intend on staying here. I was actually supposed to be staying at The Tudor Lodge half an hour's drive away, however due to a general horrific level of hygiene at The Tudor Lodge, my colleagues and I cancelled our booking, walked out and fled to the safety and comfort of The Hilton.

By the time we arrived at The Hilton Watford we were tired (from a long drive and the experience of the previous hotel) so imagine my delight when the reception desk was clear and a very helpful gentleman welcomed us and checked us in quickly and efficiently. One of the quickest hotel check ins ever I think?

I had room 271. It was bit of a hike to get to my room as it was right at the end and quite a way from the lift, but it keeps you fit doesn't it? My room was spacious, bright and, most importantly, clean! The bathroom was spotless, and the bath was the fastest filling bathtub I have ever known. You haven't even enough time to walk off and make cuppa it fills so fast. Fantastic!

There was a hairdryer and a mirrored fold down vanity unit on the desk. Plenty of desk space, a flat screen TV and lamps too. The room was quiet and although the bed felt very firm, I slept well and it was a lot more comfortable than most Hilton beds I have stayed in. You'll need to bring your 4 way socket extension if you want to have your mobile phone plugged in by the bed though as the plugs are by the desk not by the bed. But hey, I travel a lot and I always pack mine! Take that handy tip from me. You'll thank me for it when there isn't a power socket by the bed or near the mirror.

We ate at the bar and the food was lovely. I had the healthy option of chicken with rice, courgette and asparagus.

The breakfast was self service and had the usual options of bread, cereal, porridge (which was amazing by the way) and cooked breakfast items (which were a tad cold).

The staff were friendly and efficient and seem happy in their jobs, which always makes a stay nicer.

So would I recommend this? Definitely. There is a Livingwell Gym attached to this although I didn't have time to check it out. Plenty of parking and a nice clean modern hotel. Well done.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business