“Pleasantly surprised!”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Watford
Manchester
“Pleasantly surprised!”
Reviewed 4 June 2010

After reading mixed reviews of this hotel, we were pleasantly surprised how good it was. Check in was quick, our room was very modern and comfortable. The bar was vibrant and easy going. We went into the hotel restaurant and it was a carvery. The food was really good, the service was excellent. Breakfast was excellent, with lots of choice. We didn't get chance to use the leisure faciities, but we would recommend this hotel to everyone. We had a room behind the leisure complex, so it was very quiet. The hotel is about 30 minutes drive from Wembley and is located just off the M1, so it was an easy drive for us towards Manchester in the morning.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 3 June 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights prior to heading off to Egypt on a Friday & Saturday night using Tesco rewards. Check in was easy and the reception staff were very friendly & accomodating.
The hotel itself is old and run down. Our room was average but the hot wtaer cut out on one of the mornings meaning I had to have a cold low pwer shower - not fun. Our room was like a sauna - massively hot, mind you it was averaging mid 20's that weekend, but no AC and the ventilation afforded byt th windows was minimal.
Breakfast was excellent as usual for a Hilton and the leisure facilities are alright, if not a tad small.
Easy access to Watford and train station for London. Wouldn't stay again.

Sutton Coldfield UK
Reviewed 30 May 2010

We went on a weekend break to catch a show in London, when we new we were stopping at the Hilton we thought great a top class hotel. How incorect that was , we signed in and went to our room had drinks with some friends that traveled with us then decided to turn in for the night. My wife was in the bathroom getting ready for bed when I turn the duvet down to find to my horror a used condom I called my wife to show her, she called the houskeeper, explained what we had dicovered to be told wait two minuets and they would get back to us. After a good five minuets and as we were getting tired I got dressed and went down to reception. I told the man behind the desk what we had found, his reply was "Would you like me to change the bed for you" I said that would be a good start,he did come and change the bed and asked if we wanted any drinks, I said no we just wanted to go to sleep so he said he would report the incedent and the manager would contact us the next day.
The next morning we had Breakfast then had to leave for our day in London. When we arrived back at the hotel about 6.30pm we went up to our room to see if they had tried to cotact us wile we were out, but there were no message. So I went down to reception to ask for the Manager after a wile a young lady came out to see us ,so I explained to her what had gone on I also told her my concerns about the health issue and what risk it could have been if we had not noticed the condom and got into bed. She didn't seem to bothered but said she would put a bottle of wine on the table at dinner and get the manager to see me. When we went down to dinner we were asked by the waitress if we would like drinks so I told here what the young lady had said, she then gave us a bottle of wine then wile we were eating a gentleman came and told me he was the manager and would I go and see him after I had finished my meal. When I went to see him, he told me that he couldn't understand how it got there as the rooms are cleaned everyday and then inspected. He told me there would be a full staff inquiery to who had the key access to the room,this would take about 5 days and he would contact me to tell me the outcome he also said he would put another bottle of wine on our table wich he did. I waited 10 days before contacting the Head office to complain and 2 days later I got a reply from Harish Sunassy, the manager who I had spoken to at the hotel saying that the Houskeeping team immrdiately carried out remedial training to ensure that there is no a reoccurrence of this matter. To me this shouldn't have happened in the first place in a hotel that regards itself as one of the best in the world.also thinking they can buy you off with a couple of bottles of there cheapest plonk is an insult. I have stayed in budget back packing places in the third world to Five starr Hotels in the USA but never seen anything like this or been treated with such Contempt. Well we won't be going back.
One more thing you normaly get Shower gel and soap replaced daily, but when my wife came to shower on the second day she had to phone the housekeeper because they had not been replaced so much for the one who checks the room after it was cleaned

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
NShears, General Manager at Hilton Watford, responded to this review, 2 June 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience at Hilton Watford. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings in service you experienced.

You are absolutely right that this issue should not have happened. A full and proper investigation has been carried out into the events surrounding your discovery of the offending item, this has proved to be inconclusive as to how the item was discovered in your bed. In his letter to you Mr Sunassy noted that a remedial programme of training has been conducted with the Housekeeping team, just not not highlight the issue but also to prevent further occurences in the future.

The bottles of wine provided to yourself were as a gesture of goodwill and by way of an apology, it was not the Hotel's intention to treat you with contempt. Please accept my apologies for any offence my team has caused to you.

Whilst I understand you may not wish to return to the Hotel, I trust my response has gone some way to assuring you of the seriousness with which the Hotel has viewed this incident.

Irving, Texas
Reviewed 26 May 2010

If you can get a good deal like other reviewers have found (£59/nt), this hotel is a decent place to stay. It's definitely not a 4 star Hilton, but it's clean and only ~20 minutes from London by rail. There is no AC, but it's still cool in early May when I stayed there. Mattress is very squeaky. Flat screen tv but not in HD. They charge £15/day for internet. Got the marble bathroom (not available in all rooms) which was nice. Wish there was a hook behind the door to hang clothes. There is a safe in the closet/bureau. There is a Costco's by the hotel. You can see it from the front of the hotel.

Traveling to/from London on the national rail (London Midland train service):
You can take a taxi from Watford Junction station - there are taxis lined up in the front (~ £7.50 to hotel). Or from Bushey station - there is a taxi company right next to the station when you exit. It's about ~ £6.50 to the hotel. When you exit from the platform, go down the stairs, turn right and exit the station, follow the curve of the sidewalk rightwards and see the small taxi co. to your right. It's cheaper to get a 1 day travelcard from Bushey station (£9 off-peak) than from Watford Junction station because the former is in zone 8 and the latter is outside of zone 9 (£14.20 off-peak). The hotel can call you a taxi to get to the station (~ £7.50). The travelcard is good for the tube, overground, etc. and ask for the 2-for-1 attractions brochure that a national rail travelcard offers.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
Thank you taking the time to write and provide the Hotel with a comprehensive review.

I have made note of your comments and in particular the request for a hook on the back of the bathroom door. Please accept my apologies that this amenity was missing from your room, I have already asked the Hotel's maintenance team to conduct a check on all rooms to replace those hooks that are missing.

I trust you enjoyed your visit to London and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.
Jersey
Reviewed 14 May 2010

On the website this hotel describes itself as close to Watford. That is like saying they are close to the Tower of London. We needed to catch a taxi to and from Watford town centre.
On arrival, and after a delayed journey we were quickly checked in, by someone who seemed as if we were disturbing his night. Popped to the bar for a quick drink, but was 'nicely' informed that they were closing and that this would be the only drink we could get, It was only 11:30 on a Friday night.
Bedroom very dated. Sleep terrible. Two twins put together, with a leg missing on one (room 123), no air conditioning, and we should have left the door open as we could hear everything in the corridor anyway.
Breakfast was good, choice was good, and staff were pleasant and no request was too much.
As someone who travels widely I expect differences in hotels, but this is the first time I find myself saying that this hotel is no four star........

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Hilton Watford. Please accept my apologies that we did not meet all of your expectations.

I have double checked our Hotel website and have been unable to find any references to being close to the town centre. I can not vouch for the content of other websites and apologise if this has caused you undue inconvenience.

I have noted your comments on the service you received on check in and at the bar, I have addressed these with the relevant Departmental Managers to provide corrective training as required.

I have also shared your feedback with the Breakfast team who were delighted that you enjoyed your breakfast experience.

Thank you again for taking the time to write and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.
west yorkshire
Reviewed 5 May 2010

Just got back from the Hilton Hotel Watford where we had a fantastic stay .We only paid £59 per night and that included breakfast. Wot a bargain. The rooms are nicely furnished and are large and very clean plenty of towels are provided and all linen changed every day . The breakfast was probably the best I have had in any hotel with such a wide range of choice you couldnt fail to find something you liked . The pool jacuzzi sauna and gym are also worth using and again all towels are provided . All in all I would highly recommend staying here and will use it again myself.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the Hotel to be good value for money. The team here at the Hotel were also pleased to read that you enjoyed breakfast and the Leisure facilities.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Wilds Of Cumbria
Reviewed 10 April 2010

Was looking for a low cost hotel close to London for an overnight stay. Don't be put off by the poor reviews. Found this Hilton through the Daily Telegraph newspaper for £59 per night per room, could also have had a three course meal for an extra £15 per person but thought the hotel wouldn't be up to much for that price so persuaded my husband not pay for the meal, we would just eat somewhere nearby. Only minutes from the motorway, lots of parking, first impressions on entering the hotel ..... yeh, this looks good! Front of house staff so pleasant, not over friendly but just enough to make you feel very welcome. Our room was 316. Nice big room, very very clean, everything you could need. Yes it was a bit too warm for me but that's just personal taste so I just opened a window. You could hear the noise of the motorway but I wouldn't have expected anything else. Husband went down to jacuzzi and sauna said it was excellent. We went down to the bar for a drink that evening, again the staff very friendly. Yes the drinks were quite expensive but near London you expect to pay London prices. I cannot bear the Toby Cavery, even at £5, ate there once and never again so ate in the Hilton restaurant £19 for 2 courses ... what a super meal, worth what we paid for it. Staff again could not have been more attentative. Breakfast more than we could have hoped for. Would not hesitate to book in here again. Too much moaning about this place .. if the bottled water is too expensive ... don't drink it, use the tap water. Food too expensive then buy a sandwich. It looked as though the whole place had had a major refurbishment. We would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
NShears, General Manager at Hilton Watford, responded to this review, 12 April 2010
Thank you for posting your review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I truly appreciate your balanced review and having shared your feedback with the team here, it put a smile on every face.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Watford in the near future.

Neil Shears
Also consider these accommodations in or near Watford
Jurys Inn London Watford
Holiday Inn London - Watford Junction
Holiday Inn Express London-Watford Junction
Mercure London Watford Hotel
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel

Been to Hilton Watford? Share your experiences!