“Friendly City Hotel”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Watford
Newquay, United Kingdom
“Friendly City Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

I went to Watford recently and stayed at the Best Western White House Hotel. The hotel was easy to find just of the main road and it has three car parks which was one of the reasons I booked this hotel. There was a large reception area and I was greeted by well dressed very friendly staff. The staff checked my details explained how to get to my room and offered me free Wi-Fi. There was a nice bar just off from the reception area and the barman was also very friendly. My room was very clean with tea and coffee making facilities plus a large flat screen TV. The bathroom was also very clean and bright with a free shower cap, shoe polisher, soap, shower soap and soft clean towels. The hotel was only a short walk to the main centre of Watford and the main train stations. The hotel staff were all very friendly and a credit to the management team and I would definitely stay at this hotel again and recommend it to all my friends.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the back car park are nice and quite.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
Rugby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

I booked this hotel based solely on its location - 10 minutes walk from the station (about 20 minutes drive through the centre of Watford once off the M25) - and the location is the only reason I would choose to stay here again.

The parking is fine once you can find it, and I note from other comments that I am not the first to have difficulty with this. All the staff were friendly, polite and were focussed on taking care of guests and are clearly working hard to make people feel welcome. The food was well cooked, in good portions and reasonably priced for a hotel.

The big downside is the pricing, the decor and the facilities. I paid over £80 for B&B which is above the going rate for the area and left me feeling like I had received poor value given the quality of the hotel.

The decor is very dated, and is genuinely late 1970's/early 1980's wood panelling and furniture to match. This usually is of little importance to me, I'm a business traveller and I'm not visiting for the scenery; however having a shower is really important to me for the business meeting I'm going to in the morning and the bathroom facilities are woefully out of date and were a huge disappointment for me. A mixer shower where you are turning the hot and cold taps in order to walk the too hot/too cold tightrope and a limp level of spray are not acceptable in my opinion any more.

Whilst the soulless nature of the Premier Inn doesn't inspire me, there are lessons that can be learnt from them that I feel would make one a more sensible option if staying in the area again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear that overlook the car park rather than at the front and the main road
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

Was upgraded here from The Travelstop Inn opposite, which is run, I think, by the same manager. Impressive and far superior to where I was supposed to stay.
Staff were excellent and helpful on every subject. That included a 3 hour late checkout and an extra storing of my luggage till 5pm, neither of which incurred any extra expense.
Room was big, comfy, mattress perfect.
Service at the bar was excellent too and drinks cost exactly the same as any pub in the area - the draft Guiness was superb!
Also they had a garden outside with a designated smoking area which, unfortunately, I utilised.
The only problem was with the Wifi which never worked properly in the rooms. As a single traveller this was important to me.
I've stayed in the Travestop Inn before but i think that the extra 20+ pounds a night appx. required for staying here is worth it if you like that sort of thing.
Location: Right next to the great shopping of Watford and about 3/4 of a miles walk from the station.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Harlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Stayed for one night as attending a function in the hotel. Plenty of car parking once you know how to get into the car park. The room was clean and had a flat screen tv but the bathroom was a little dated. Additional bedding and towels were available in the wardrobe. The room was rather hot but we didnt ask if a fan was available. Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was served in a conservatory and was plentiful and tasty. No complaints and would stay again if needed accommodation in Watford.

Room Tip: Our room 79 was above the function room and could have been noisy had we not attended the function o...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed here once because the jury's was full. That's the only reason I would stay again. Just looks like something from the 70's. Staff were ok, so was the food. Just not my kind of place. There is better in Watford for less.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark L
East Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

Could not quite understand some of the comments regarding dated accommodation. We only
stayed one night and a very comfortable one it was. The staff are very friendly and the hotel
very clean.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Jane H, Manager at BEST WESTERN White House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again if you are visiting Watford in the future.
York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

On arrival we were unsure where to park our vehicle but after popping in the reception staff were very helpful and have us a permit for a car park opposite the hotel. We checked in early but the staff were helpful and stored our luggage until we returned later in the day to check in.
Check in was easy and we were given a large room towards the back of the hotel, after only being there moments the housekeeper came to see if we had enough hot drink facilities in the bedroom. The room itself had a sofa, widescreen tv with only selected freeview channels and what seemed a 3/4 bed. The bathroom was clean and the shower was a bit awkward but once sorted was pleasant. The hotel, esecially the bathroom was dated but without a doubt the hotel was exceptionally clean.

The breakfast was plentiful, with a wide buffet selection of cereals, pastries, fruit and toast and a cooked breakfast made to order with as many or little items as you requred.
The bar was open till late and very comfortable with a wide selection of beers, wines and spirits at reasonable the prices,

An easy commute into London, and a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to see you again if you are visiting Watford in the near future.