“Wonderful wedding venue with friendly and helpful staff.”

Best Western White House Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Watford
Hertfordshire
“Wonderful wedding venue with friendly and helpful staff.”
Reviewed 5 February 2010

We were looking for a venue to get married in and the White House was available on the date we wanted. We had a dedicated member of staff to deal with from the beginning and she could not have been more helpful.She met all our requests and made many helpful suggestions. The hotel also reccomended florists, dj etc, none of which disappointed.
We actually got married in the hotel and most of our guests stayed there too. (There were 120 guests for wedding and 60-70 stayed over, some from overseas). The staff could not have been more helpful in meeting the varied needs such as cots, special diets etc
It is a good venue for a wedding as everything is all together and the guests don't have to travel from one place to another. The room was set up beautifully for the ceremony and while our photos were being taken in the garden it was set up for the sit down reception. The room is informal but looked lovely. After the reception the evening entertainment began and, agin, the transition was smooth. Once the wedding was over, the hotel staff were very accommodating in allowing those who stayed (including us) to carry on celebrating in the residents bar.

The food was excellent and the hotel offered good value for money with a variety of price packages. If you are looking for a good value wedding venue where the staff bend over backwards to accommodate you and really make your day special then I cannot reccommend the White House Hotel in Watford highly enough.

• Stayed August 2007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
España
Reviewed 17 October 2009

I stayed here for only one night with my mum as we had to be in the town to drop off my daughter.
It was a last minute booking and I am glad I choose here. ( It was good value too )
We had a superior room with two single beds which was on the first floor of the main building...in fact I think it was the first room!!
I had requested a low floor due to my mum's needs ( stairs are difficult for her ) on my booking form and I think they pretty much honoured this request.
Parking was free and across the road in a private little car park ( don't think about parking on the street...the traffic warden booked everything in his sight! ).

Outside was kind of disappointing...the main building is white and in need of a spruce up. As first impressions go it didn't bode well....however....
once inside it was cosy, quite quaint and very welcoming. Lovely staff, clean and the room was very nice.
It was large with a lovely plump leather sofa, tea & coffee, hot chocolate and jammy dodgers!!! Bathroom was fine, clean and there was a mini sewing kit, shoe shiner & the usual array of toiletries...

We ate in the evening in the reception/bar/lounge area and again it was lovely food at very reasonable prices for a hotel.
There was a restaurant area but the bar food was all we needed while watching X-Factor on the t.v!
Again it was warm and inviting and the staff attended our needs immediately and they were very pleasant and helpful.

We hadn't booked breakfast but decided we would have it before our journey back up North.
We are glad we did. We were attended by a lovely Italian lady who I wish we had got her name....but anyway she was wonderful and took great delight in feeding us up!!!
Fruit, pastries, hams, cheeses, cereals, rolls, full english breakfast ( like a proper home cooked breakfast too....perfect eggs!!! ), kippers etc....TONS of toast!
The breakfast/dining room was small but lovely....very homely.

If you are in Watford for whatever reason then chose this hotel over any other...nice staff, nice food, nice accommodation, very clean, free parking and close to the shops!
Forget about decor or any of that rubbish that does NOT affect your stay, this is Watford not Central London!!!....this is a surprisingly nice hotel.

• Stayed October 2009
1 Thank Mercedes69
Dublin
Reviewed 19 August 2008

I stayed here for 1 night. I was on the second floor. the hallways for very small and smelly. I got in late and it was dark and I opened the windows. NExt morning when I pulled back the curtains I discovered I was on the roof and other peoples windows were alson onto the roof. Anyone could have jsut stepped into my room which did not make me very comfortable.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
Norfolk
Reviewed 20 April 2008

We wanted to arrange a small scale wedding in Watford where we could go onto the football and return for the evening meal, the registry office sited in an industrial area and in need of a coat of paint did not meet our requirements,so we returned home a little disappointed but did a google for hotels in Watford and up came The White House Hotel.
This place was perfect, easy email contact and replies resulted in us visiting the place arranging the finer details and booking for us and our twenty plus guests, a wedding with nothing to worry about...brilliant!
The day could not have gone any better and this place will always be in our hearts, the food was great and everyone of our guests was very complimentary of the hotel in general.

..........The best thing about this hotel.........without a doubt any hotel is just a building, it is the staff that make this place special and it is probably an insult to call them staff, friends seems more appropiate.......we have been back to The White House since our wedding and will continue to do so. Thankyou All.

Stayed December 2007
UK
Reviewed 20 January 2008

Stayed at the Best Western Watford in early January as a result of a meeting in Watford Town Centre. I chose the hotel due to its proximity to the centre of Watford, a main benefit of the hotel. It only takes 3 minutes to walk to the High Street and 10 to Watford High Street station.

As previously described in other reviews, the hotel consists of many buildings, as such it does not have a consistent architecture. One section has a 70s feel with wood panelling and narrow corridors, another more of a 90s taste with floral wallpaper and pink carpets and finally a more modern looking section.

The room I had was quite large. A little dark if I just the main light on so had to utilise the bathroom light and all available lamps to get the desired level of light. Room was clean, no evidence of dust or dirt etc. Bathroom very much the same. Overall, a comfortable, clean, large room, if a little dated, just needed a bit more light for my liking.

Hotel staff were extremely pleasant and accommodating. Any requests, they were pleased to help. Made both check in and out feel less like a chore and more human and desirable.

The main advantage the White House Hotel has over the Travel Lodge which is closer to the High Street, is that it has its own, free car park. Charges at the Travel Lodge's multi-storey car park are quite high.

If I was back in Watford, would defiantly consider staying here again.

• Liked — Location - 3mins from Watford High Street
  • Disliked — Darkness of rooms
  • Stayed January 2008
Limburg Province, Belgium
Reviewed 1 April 2007

The hotel is located near the center of Watford but except a shopping
mall and a few bistros in the main street, there's nothing to do. You might reconsider staying in Londen.

The check in and front desk was as expected when I checked in but it was not permanently fully staffed. I noticed that others had to wait a while. In the lobby there's also bar where you can eat some small snacks. There's also a self-acclaimed "renowned" restaurant (nothing special and overpriced).

The hotel is actually a row of adjoining houses in the street. Apparently the hotel keeps growing organically by buying up the houses down the street and incorporating them into the hotel. The corridors look indeed a bit like a labyrinth and the hotel does not have a consistent architecture.

The rooms (and bathroom) were a bit old fashioned. Great if you're into the 70's or if you fancy a theme hotel but being there for business I'd prefer a little bit more modern comfort. The rooms desperately need an update. The rooms were relatively small (just enough room for the bed, a desk, a closet and the bathroom (which was also a bit below standard)) and didn't feel clean (no real dirt but traces but dust everywhere). The rooms were also badly isolated and a bit noisy: I could here the every movement in the house. Constant cracking of the floors and the wooden construction, the neighbours television, people in the corridors, street noises (because there's no double glass),...On top of that you needed to pay extra for the internet connection (which might have been included
in the room price for that amount.)

The staff however was very friendly and that would probably be the only reason why I'd consider coming back but I think that next time I'll first try something else or consider staying in Londen.

• Liked — Friendly staff, lobby
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Bizz_n_Fun
London, England
Reviewed 14 March 2007

I stayed here on a business and, after reading other reviews wasn't looking forward to my trip - especially as someone else had made the booking.

That said, my room was OK... it was clean, fairly big, the bed was comfortable and there were tea & coffee making facilities. The bathroom was also big but the shower was dreadful! ... not enough water pressure! ...and the towels, like sandpaper!

The staff (when you could find them!) were attentive and quite chatty. Service, whilst friendly, was very slow. If you are in a rush, allow extra time when checking out.

We dined in the restaurant and were pleasantly surprised as the food was pretty good. (I don't know about it being award winning though!)

There was lots of noise (from outside) at night (I had a room that overlooked the street) and this meant I didn't get a good nights' sleep throughout my stay. My colleague had a room at the back of the hotel and didn't complain about being woken up once...

I won't be going back to this hotel... it lacks character and has something undefinable that I didn't like... It also feels quite cheap. I saw on the tariff that rooms cost £99 per night which I thought was quite steep for a place like this.

Personally, I think I'd have preferred a Travelodge...

• Liked — Location - it was near the ring road
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AMCW