“Superb”
Review of Rathiga - CLOSED

Rathiga
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: An interesting mix of Southern and Northern Indian food. Very well cooked with each dish tasting of its individual mix of spices. Friendly, welcoming staff and very reasonably priced.
Reviewed 27 June 2013

My wife & myself were working in Watford & came across Rathiga, Merton Road, by chance, the staff, headed by Abdul the Manager & His Chef, whose name we don't know, were most helpful, the food superb, certainly worth visiting for lovers of Indian food.

There are newer reviews for Rathiga

Reviewed 21 May 2013

South Indian food is as rare as hen's teeth in the UK, so it's hugely surprising to find this gem in as unlikely a location as west Watford. It looks deeply unprepossessing from the outside, and not a lot better from the inside. It's a bit tatty, a bit gloomy (especially in the large back room) and often cold and a bit musty. But all of this is worth ignoring for the food. Oh the food! Dosas to die for, better than anything you will get in Drummond Street. Masala dosa, paper dosa, paneer dosa and more, we've tried them all and they are all wonderfully light and crispy with perfectly-seasoned potato stuffing. The uthappam is not 'arf bad too. There are also some cracking starters: you haven't lived until you've tried the Gobi 65 (which comes in an enormous serving big enough for two), and the belt-busting mixed veg platter will definitely have you asking for a doggy bag unless there's four of you! But fear not if you want to come here with carnivorous companions, or with those who will not look beyond bog standard Bangladeshi "Indian": they too are catered for with an extensive range of dead-critter dishes and flock-wallpaper standards such as chicken tikka masala (although I am unable to comment on the quality of these latter dishes never having tried them). But if you really want to do such friends a favour you will persuade them to try a dosa: they will surely see the light and convert from Bangladesh to south India! Granted the service can be a bit hit-and-miss, but for us this simply adds to the entertainment value of this slightly-ramshackle establishment with its to-die-for food. Truly Rathiga is a precious jewel, and I can honestly say that the only place I have ever had better dosas was in the equally-unlikely surroundings of the Chennai Garden, Manhattan (which is a bit of a long haul, even for a gunpowder dosa, if you live in Hertfordshire!)

Reviewed 21 April 2013

This is my favourite Indian in Watford. The owner and staff are actually from India which means the food is authentic and tasty. My favourite dishes - dahl makhni, chilli garlic paneer and chicken 65. There's a dish for all moods and fancies. The dosas are delicious - perhaps they could give Jimmy's World Food a dosa-making lesson. I come here every week and will be sad to leave Watford because I won't be able to come here so often.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Authentic indian food, friendly service, reasonably priced and good sized portions. Rathiga goes to the top of my list for an indian in watford. The venue itself does need a makeover but the food does it proud.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Hotel reception recommended it (again had not done any research on trip advisor) and near Tarboush (at the end of Market Street) Outside appearance is not great but do not let that put you off. I was in when it opened at 6 and although a few more came in it was not busy which does surprise me because the food is very good. South Indian influence and lot of vegetarian dishes. I believe I was served by a young guy who was perhaps still learning his trade and although very willing did not know a great deal. However another member of staff was there and very helpful. I had a couple of starters. Gobi 65 ( a few of the dishes had some odd names with numbers) which was very much like cauliflower pakora and it was delicious. I also had another south indian vegetarian dish which was Mysore Bhonda a potato dish unlike anything I had tried before. Again delicious and they came with a chilli sauce as well as a coconut style 'sauce' which was very good.
I had Mutton Kothu, again new to me and recommended by the waiter. I found this a little 'dry' in that it is shredded mutton with pitta and onions and various spices. To be fair the waiter has suggested a curry sauce but I had opted for a delicious Saag aloo which i have had before but this one was a vivid shade of green and there was a lot of it. I don't know if I was off form but although it was all very good I was struggling and left a lot of the food. The waiter did offer to do a 'doggy bag' but as i was staying in a hotel though it best not to. I would go again
WIth a couple of bottles of beer the meal came to £23.68. Excellent .

1  Thank rammyscot